Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Fleetwood v Charlton | Saturday 17 September 2022 3:00PM

Comments

• Options
    We will soon have sessignon back,hopefully Aneke,Egbo looked good .Leaburn improving all the time.The teams at the top will have bad runs,Pompey always fade.We have not really put a run together yet,it will come once we find our best midfield.Still think we have a chance this year,we are getting draws from games which would have resulted in losses last year,yes of course a few more points could  have been ours.Just needs a spark,and maybe a scrappy one nil win.
  • Options
    cant understand why JFC is not involved
  • Options
    cant understand why JFC is not involved
    Me the same. But is he the same player since the injury?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    This is slightly starting to remind me a bit of the Russell Slade (half) season

Yes the football is a bit better, but the same record after 9 games - 2 wins, 5 draws, 2 defeats. We drew far too many games that season too
  • Options

Yes the football is a bit better, but the same record after 9 games - 2 wins, 2 draws, 5 defeats. We drew far too many games that season too
    What would we have done without Ricky Holmes though? One man team. 
  • Options

Yes the football is a bit better, but the same record after 9 games - 2 wins, 2 draws, 5 defeats. We drew far too many games that season too
    We've won 2, drawn 5, lost 2.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

What would we have done without Ricky Holmes though? One man team. 
    Plus Lookman, until he was sold in January
  • Options

We've won 2, drawn 5, lost 2.

Sorry, the typing version of a spoonerism!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ICafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I’d really like us to go to 442 tried this 433 and I don’t think it works in this division although it’s worked better than under Adkinsf.I think our squad will be more suited to 442. When leaburn came on with stockley we looked a lot better today.
    thought mcCrappy had his best game today  but I’d sonner  have caskey on bench than risk mcCrappy getting injured warming up or something. 
    If it doesn't work in this division why do teams keep getting promoted playing it.  It hasn't, yet, worked for us.

There is a big difference.

Yes I do mean best performance by him not playing Mcgrandles can’t see why we signed him. 
    These teams that got promoted playing 433 did they have a stockley or leaburn in the middle.meaning 6foot plus target striker. I very much doubt they did. 

They had Josh Magennis 😳 
    So why did we not sell stockley to Sheffield Wednesdays and bring back josh magentis 
    or is it the managers we’ve had can’t get the 433 system to work. Who’s to blame? Stockley or Garner can’t remember magenis being better than stockley. 
  • Options
    ICafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I’d really like us to go to 442 tried this 433 and I don’t think it works in this division although it’s worked better than under Adkinsf.I think our squad will be more suited to 442. When leaburn came on with stockley we looked a lot better today.
    thought mcCrappy had his best game today  but I’d sonner  have caskey on bench than risk mcCrappy getting injured warming up or something. 
    If it doesn't work in this division why do teams keep getting promoted playing it.  It hasn't, yet, worked for us.

Yes I do mean best performance by him not playing Mcgrandles can’t see why we signed him. 
    These teams that got promoted playing 433 did they have a stockley or leaburn in the middle.meaning 6foot plus target striker. I very much doubt they did. 

They had Josh Magennis 😳 
    So why did we not sell stockley to Sheffield Wednesdays and bring back josh magentis 
    or is it the managers we’ve had can’t get the 433 system to work. Who’s to blame? Stockley or Garner can’t remember magenis being better than stockley. 
    Magennis more mobile than Stockley and better on the ground in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    LenGlover said:
    ICafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

They had Josh Magennis 😳 
    Magennis more mobile than Stockley and better on the ground in my opinion.
    Miles more mobile. 
    I'm struggling to think of a less mobile striker tbh.
    One of the reason's he's not scoring, because he barely moves.
    No chance of him running into space. 
  • Options
    So what’s the answer change formation to 442 to suit our players better like I said or just write off this season again because we haven’t got the players to play 433 but we got to play 433 because the other teams are playing it. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    This set of post match views against Rochdale from October 2018 is even more interesting. Cullen, Aribo, Bielik, Taylor and Grant all played in this game btw.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/83630/rochdale-v-charlton-post-match-thread-sat-27-oct-2018/p1

- “Massive reality check for those who think we are going up. On paper we should finish top six. But I've said it before this lot are mentally weak and we are where we are. Fuck knows what happens next next. ”

- “Watched on ifollow absolute pathetic performance. Rochdale closing everything down quickly yet we try and play it from the back everytime and putting ourselves under pressure. Shockingly shit short corners by Cullen. Everyone of them looked crap today.”

- “13th in league one is shocking . Losing to Rochdale is scandalous .”
    Good points.  I knew we started badly, but thought we’d got into the groove by October.  

That 2018/19 promotion year we didn't properly get in the groove until early March.

Most people seem to forget that.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    So what’s the answer change formation to 442 to suit our players better like I said or just write off this season again because we haven’t got the players to play 433 but we got to play 433 because the other teams are playing it. 
    That is a possible answer. The other answer is try to maximise goals through the team. None have guarantees, in fact they are incredibly hard but I can't see any other possible answers until January. For me that means we can't start a player like Morgan who will never score goals in a million years and we have to get goals from CBT and JRS. Not a few, but a lot. If you look at recent games, they have had a lot of chances so we have to up the conversion rate.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    cabbles said:
    This set of post match views against Rochdale from October 2018 is even more interesting. Cullen, Aribo, Bielik, Taylor and Grant all played in this game btw.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/83630/rochdale-v-charlton-post-match-thread-sat-27-oct-2018/p1

- “Massive reality check for those who think we are going up. On paper we should finish top six. But I've said it before this lot are mentally weak and we are where we are. Fuck knows what happens next next. ”

- “Watched on ifollow absolute pathetic performance. Rochdale closing everything down quickly yet we try and play it from the back everytime and putting ourselves under pressure. Shockingly shit short corners by Cullen. Everyone of them looked crap today.”

Good points.  I knew we started badly, but thought we’d got into the groove by October.  

That 2018/19 promotion year we didn't properly get in the groove until early March.

This is true of course but the players we had then we're miles better than the players we have now.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    cabbles said:

This is true of course but the players we had then we're miles better than the players we have now.
    They weren’t rated that highly in September of that season. Even Bielik was inconsistent to start with.

Not saying this squad will do as well as that one, but we won’t have the same opinions on every player that we have now by the end of the season.
  • Options
    We will soon have sessignon back,hopefully Aneke,Egbo looked good .Leaburn improving all the time.The teams at the top will have bad runs,Pompey always fade.We have not really put a run together yet,it will come once we find our best midfield.Still think we have a chance this year,we are getting draws from games which would have resulted in losses last year,yes of course a few more points could  have been ours.Just needs a spark,and maybe a scrappy one nil win.
    Sadly, he should be rechristened 'Hopefully Aneke'
  • Options
    We're always waiting for the next transfer window for salvation. The last one saw ten more players leave than arrive. I call that dismantling without a sufficient rebuild, although many underperformers were ousted. I think the new arrivals can hold their own at L1 level but have yet to show consistency. The early signs are that we'll fall short of mounting a promotion challenge, although it's too early to call with more points garnered from the first nine games compared to last season and the football more promising in patches.

I ought to be more optimistic, but with the squad deficiencies as is, my fear/expectation is that the January window will play out much as the last for struggling to sign the targets needed. If we're still in contention by then, we need a couple of quality players, realistically for TS model that's likely to be Prem/Championship loans of players out of favour needing game time signed late on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    good post .. two fit, proper full backs will (of course) strengthen our defence immeasurably, I'd like to see Clare in midfield now that Egbo's available and Leaburn given more starts in attack .. a midfield of Payne, Clare and Fraser looks decent, though I'd like to see a 3 5 2 or 4 4 2, we don't have the right personnel for 4 3 3 i m o .. onwards to sunny Barnsley
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I have changed my position from thinking we have no chance of top six to us having a small chance. Maybe 10%. To acheive that we have to get goals from JRS and CBT. They are getting enough chances and that is why my hopes have risen by 10%. Both need to improve in front of goal. If I was Garner it would be a priority to work on. If they improve, the odds do too.

Payne and Fraser need to get their fair share as well and the next in line should be JFC. Dobson has to start as we can't afford to not play our best players but he won't get goals. Morgan won't get goals either and is too hit and miss. Maybe as a desperate option from the bench at best. Henry ought to be above him now though.
  • Options
    HandG said:
    That's it from me, all things Charlton. 55 years a Charlton supporter - cannot take any more crap. Lower half  league one side with a Premiership stadium ain't gonna get any better soon. Good Bye!
    Anyone else getting sick of posts like this? 
    Each to their own as far as I am concerned and fair enough if they want to vent. It certainly isn't going to help Sandgaard if he loses the older supporters and can't attract a new generation who will have little interest in going to watch a mediocre club playing for years at the lower level.
  • Options
    The midfield and wide players also need to create goals as well as score them. A simplistic measure, but looking at the stat bank, I see the dropped Kirk and Morgan have 3 and 2 assists respectively, whereas CBT and Fraser don't have any. 
  • Options
    Has no-one mentioned Blackett-Taylor's first half corner? We'd just had quite a bit of defending to do, and had the chance to get a good ball in. He sort of stumbled as he took it and passed it straight to their player.

Nearly as bad as the Ceballos corner.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Ben18 said:
    Has no-one mentioned Blackett-Taylor's first half corner? We'd just had quite a bit of defending to do, and had the chance to get a good ball in. He sort of stumbled as he took it and passed it straight to their player.

Do we still have the lowest set piece xG in the league? Our corners this season have been dreadful. I can't recall us ever threatening from one.
  • Options
    On paper we have decent corner takers this season. Not sure CBT should be taking one mind.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Chunes said:
    Ben18 said:

Do we still have the lowest set piece xG in the league? Our corners this season have been dreadful. I can't recall us ever threatening from one.

Surely must do. Our attacking play is nowhere near as bad as people think, we're just totally impotent from set plays and I can't understand it. 

Only Ipswich (14) and Plymouth (13) have scored more goals from open play than we have this season. 2 or 3 goals from set pieces would have turned 2 or 3 draws into wins. As would 2 or 3 more clean sheets, where we sit bottom of the league in terms of keeping them.
  • Options
    Just checked and we only scored 36 goals from open play last year and we have 12 already this year.

Maybe when Jacko gets sacked from Wimbledon we can bring him back as a set piece coach.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    We are ranked 24th in xG from set pieces and 1st in xG from open play.

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/08/league-one-stats-2022-23/