Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lincoln City vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 8th October 2022 - 3pm | Match Preview

Lincoln City vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 8th October 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Robert Lewis

Introduction
You cant shoot the messenger here, but... We do actually have another game this Saturday!!

I know, I know - Its the last thing any of us are thinking of this coming weekend, apart from those Masochists who'll be making the trip North for what'll be another away game - Lincoln City are the hosts this time round, as the Addicks go looking for their first victory of the season. Not even a win at Colchester in the EFL Trophy on Tuesday night was possible, so a first win on our travels since April appears to be a tall order at present.

The Opposition
Name: Lincoln City (14th) | Manager: Mark Kennedy
Ground: Sincil Bank
Previous Result: Bolton Wanderers 2-0 Lincoln City

Standing in wait of another 1-1 draw are the Imps - The side who sit one place, and one point ahead of the Addicks so if the away side can pull off the impossible and return victorious to South East London then we will march up the table - Like ourselves Lincoln started the season under new their Manager (more of that to come) with a series of draws, and whilst there have been a handful of defeats, it looks as though our opponents have learnt to achieve more than that having not drawn since the 27th August... Until now at least!!

Rewind to the summer though and Lincoln like their visitors this weekend were always going into the new season looking for a replacement Manager - Michael Appleton was relieved of his duties at the end of the season (even though he ended up returning to Blackpool), and was eventually replaced by Mark Kennedy, who last season was Assistant Coach at Birmingham City under our very own Lee Bowyer.

On the player front; Jack Diamond (signed on loan from Sunderland) is the name to watch, a forward who can play across the whole of the front line and was a replacement for Championship bound: Anthony Scully - Both names were of course linked (however truthful) with the Addicks, yet Diamond has four goals in as many appearances for his new side, albeit three coming in one game - Given our summer business has once again been highlighted as a factor in this season, it would be ironic if another failed option came back to haunt us!!

Charlton Team News
Hmmm so Chuks Aneke has returned to full training has he? - Of course that doesnt mean that he's match fit, and given his long spell out of the side, means we could well be waiting a few more weeks before we see the Attacker involved for the first team - Its natural for there to be calls for fringe players to be given an opportunity, especially when the first choice options fail to impress.

Unfortunately the nature of the defeat on Tuesday night, seems to suggest that the customary eleven that have been starting, are the best we can field, even with the lack of impressive results in League One!! - Jayden Stockley finally got on the scoresheet again last Saturday, it could well be argued that having a Striker alongside him helped, so hopefully we'll see more of the same this coming weekend - Both Conor McGrandles and Jack Payne will be hoping for minutes against their old Employers this weekend, the fans however may well disagree

Wollacott
Egbo - Inniss - O'Connell - Sessegnon
Rak-Sakyi - Fraser - Dobson - Kirk
Leaburn - Stockley

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Thomas - Clare - Payne - Morgan - Blackett-Taylor - Aneke

Comments

• Options
    I have little idea what to expect from this other than mistakes in defence and a lack of penetration up front. Other than that, we are cooking on gas.
    2-0 Lincoln
  • Options
    Surely McGrandles will at least be on the bench and as much as I would like to agree with you I cannot see Aneke on the bench yet
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Lincoln's form is up and down .. they have taken 7 points from the last five games, we've taken 3 .. they have played a game less than us

I like the look of @ForeverAddickted's line up, a no nonsense 4 4 2 with big strikers (hopefully) getting on the end of some Kirk n Sakyi crosses .. the one concern is defensive cover from the midfield. I doubt however that we will get a 4 4 2 and that bone headed Garner will start with his beloved 4 3 3 .. If we play 4 4 2 we'll win ..  if 4 3 3 we'll be fortunate to get a point

Last year they deservedly beat us at their place, it was embarrassing 

This year they have lost some of their best players (as always) have brought in some young, promising loanees, Diamond was well worth a mention .. they play a fluid 4 3 3 and do it better than we have done so far

As ever, I live in hope of some sweet revenge

Lincoln City 0 v CAFC 2

• Options
    Lincoln's form is up and down .. they have taken 7 points from the last five games, we've taken 3 .. they have played a game less than us

I like the look of @ForeverAddickted's line up, a no nonsense 4 4 2 with big strikers (hopefully) getting on the end of some Kirk n Sakyi crosses .. the one concern is defensive cover from the midfield. I doubt however that we will get a 4 4 2 and that bone headed Garner will start with his beloved 4 3 3 .. If we play 4 4 2 we'll win ..  if 4 3 3 we'll be fortunate to get a point

Last year they deservedly beat us at their place, it was embarrassing 

This year they have lost some of their best players (as always) have brought in some young, promising loanees, Diamond was well worth a mention .. they play a fluid 4 3 3 and do it better than we have done so far

As ever, I live in hope of some sweet revenge

Lincoln City 0 v CAFC 2

I’m pretty confident we will play 4-4-2. Otherwise Leaburn would have played on Tuesday night
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I had a dream we won last night and I got into an argument with a lot of you on here in the post match thread because I said we were still shit, despite winning.  Stockley scored a free kick.  Make of that what you will 
    Well this isn't groundbreaking ;)
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I had a dream we won last night and I got into an argument with a lot of you on here in the post match thread because I said we were still shit, despite winning.  Stockley scored a free kick.  Make of that what you will 
    Not much actually.🤭🤭🤭
  • Options
    Do we have a particular pub where we’re heading for?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In Lincoln. Got a taxi this morning and the driver who is a season ticket holder though not going is worried about us. I said you needn't be. He is coming to the valley on the return.
  • Options
    I would be surprised if we don't have left back backup on the bench, so expect Clayden or Chin. I will be extremely surprised if Chuks makes the trip.

I don't know why, because all logic points to a draw or defeat, but I think we will win this. 2-1 to the mighty Addicks. I also think Stockley will score again. 

Think we will start 4-3-3 again, but probably change when we are 1-0 down.
  • Options
    Garner will probably start with 2 up front as he must now realise Stockley on his own ain't working. 
    Personally I don't think it will make much difference as the players we have are not good enough. 
    Shuffle the pack as often as you like Ben it will make little difference. 
    Either another 1 1 draw or a defeat. 
  • Options
    Garner will probably start with 2 up front as he must now realise Stockley on his own ain't working. 
    Personally I don't think it will make much difference as the players we have are not good enough. 
    We don’t have enough for the top 6 but the players are better than 2 wins in 11 league games.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We don’t have enough for the top 6 but the players are better than 2 wins in 11 league games.
    2 wins in 11 would suggest they are not.
  • Options
    3-0 Addicks!

• Options
    1-2 Charlton
  • Options
    100% - I don't think it matters who starts, how they line up, the talent just isn't there.

You've also got to take into consideration that we're 12 games in and we're already at the chopping and changing stage re: formation and line ups.  Kirk was dropped completely a few weeks ago, yet based on his assist last week and appearance from the subs bench, he's now likely to come back in.  CBT and Morgan completely dropped, how and when do we see them return, Payne likely to miss the next few games based on poor performances.  You get the picture, it's all looking a bit haphazard.  Same with formations.  3 at the back last week for the first time this season, not working so we went two up top and many have been saying we should now try 4-4-2, yet most of what I pick up on here when we discuss tactics and formations is that 4-4-2 is dead and a no go.

Also, if they do go 4-4-2, have we been practicing that?  Are we capable, or are we just reacting to another game without a win and making a change in hope?

As Blackpool said, it's largely down to talent.  The talent hasn't been there to nail the preferred 4-3-3, why is it there to adapt to whatever formation we try next?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    We must be due a result, starting to feel positive about this one.
  • Options
    FA's starting line up will do for me - the start of a change in fortune and the end of 43 frigging 3 ?? Hopefully  
  • Options
    Tough game here. 

Hoping to christ that Garner plays 2 up top! It worked against Oxford. Fraser started okay but really need him to starting taking games by the scruff of the neck!

1-0 Charlton (Rak Sakyi)
  • Options
    I would be surprised if we don't have left back backup on the bench, so expect Clayden or Chin. I will be extremely surprised if Chuks makes the trip.

I don't know why, because all logic points to a draw or defeat, but I think we will win this. 2-1 to the mighty Addicks. I also think Stockley will score again. 

Wait, you think we will go 1-0 down but still win?  ;) 

Yep! Predicting a Golfie!
  • Options
    The only thing we’ve got going for us in terms of play is our build up and possession.  Switching to 442 may jeopardise that unless you expect us to start banging goals in because of it. 

To be honest I almost don’t care now, things have been on a downward spiral since Jan 2020 and there’s no sign of it changing, I’m with the majority who say it doesn’t matter what we do with this team they’re just not good enough, I argued in favour of positivity in pre season and it’s been proven wrong.  Anyone else remember counting down the days and hours till 3:00pm Saturday, just depressing it really is.
  • Options

I will be extremely surprised if Chuks makes the trip. - We should change the title of the Chuks thread to that.
  • Options
    442 yes please I do t care if we’re more open at least we will have a chance of scoring some goals. Because this defence will concede a goal every week open or not there’s a mistake in them. We need 2 goals at least 
  • Options
    As are away form worse than the home, then expect a three, nil defeat. This squad is a barely average league one side.
  • Options
    I don't see us starting with Stockley and Leaburn up front. Aneke won't be ready for the bench which leaves no strikers available for the bench. With 5 subs, subs are very important and we might well finish with 2 up 2 but not start.