Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Exeter City | Tuesday 11th October 2022 | Match Preview

edited October 2022 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Exeter City
Tuesday 11th October 2022 - 19:45

Referee
Craig Hicks - previously officiated us away at Plymouth last season where we lost 1-0.

Introduction
Yet another draw in a season where apathy and off field events seem to be taking over from all four corner of the Charlton support. Myself included. After only our second clean sheet of the league season, we also failed to score for the second time of the season too. Lincoln were there for the taking but the lack of intensity across the pitch is making it difficult to find any kind of excitement. Up next is the fixture that was cancelled last month due to the late Queen’s passing, Exeter City.

Opposition
Newly promoted, play decent football, got a great result away at Barnsley in their previous fixture.

Jay Stansfield scored his first two goals for Exeter at the weekend in what would no doubt have been an emotional time for the young striker on loan from Fulham. Jay’s father, Adam, was a former Exeter player himself but died from cancer in 2010. Stansfield, who made his professional league debut for Fulham against Charlton, will be looking to continue to make his mark for a club that will hold a special place in his heart. However, Exeter’s top scorer and arguably best player this season is Jevani Brown. The forward has 7 goals and 5 assists in 11 games and will have to be kept quiet if we are to keep our third clean sheet of the season. 

Exeter usually play 3-4-1-2 and will pose a different type of threat to us. They’re capable of playing but also very efficient in front of goal from counter attacking situations and especially in attacking set-pieces. If we are to stick with the 4-4-2 that we had on Saturday, getting the ball in the opponents half quickly will be key because we could easily lose the midfield battle against this side. 

Charlton Team News
No new injury concerns ahead of this midweek fixture means we will be able to look forward to welcoming Aneke into the squad for the first time this season. No doubt this will get a lot of people making their own comments, but no one has had it harder and we all know that you are only as strong as your strike force. We’ve missed him and having another striker on the bench will lift the team.

As we have 6 days between Exeter and our next game against Portsmouth on 17th, you would anticipate that we could keep the same team and not need to make many changes. It was mentioned how do you get results, and we desperately need them - do you have consistency in team selection and hope that will pay off? After keeping a clean sheet at Lincoln, I think that’s likely how we are going to go. My only concern would be Inniss playing in such quick succession, we shall see.

Wollacott
Egbo Inniss O’Connell Sessegnon
Rak-Sakyi Dobson Fraser Kirk
Stockley
Leaburn

MacGillivray, Clare, Thomas, McGrandles, Payne, Blackett-Taylor, Aneke

Comments

• Options
    Good preview Sage. 
    I can't see Inniss playing Saturday and Tuesday so I expect Lavelle to start. 
    Other than that probably what you have predicted. 
    I seriously cannot see where the next win is coming from so I expect yet another 1 1 draw. 
    I also expect a very low crowd despite what is announced. 
    Anyway COYA 
  • Options
    I’ll be watching on CATV from behind the sofa, as am expecting yet another bang average  💩 performance
  • Options
    come on Sage you could wait until I've got the stats our :)
    Good preview reckon a 1-3 loss
  • Options
    1-1. Leaburn equaliser. 
  • Options
    Aneke won’t make the bench. Draw at best.
  • Options
    come on Sage you could wait until I've got the stats our :)
    Good preview reckon a 1-3 loss
    Feeling so disinterested right now I just wanted to get the preview out the way to be perfectly honest.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    100% Aneke makes the bench.
    But will he come off it🤔😁😀
  • Options
    Thomas to start in place of Inniss maybe.
    Would love to see Aneke getting minutes. 
  • Options
    Why wouldn't Innis play, is he injured?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Doesn’t typically play a few days apart. 
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    1-1. Leaburn equaliser. 
    Who do think will score our goal?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:
    Off_it said:
    Sounds great. I might ask my boss tomorrow if I can miss days from work because I worked earlier in the week!
    Fuck knows what Aneke says…
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Ah so for the last 6 months he has become a carpenter.
    Nice to know he's been keeping himself busy in all that downtime ...
  • Options
    I’ll be watching on CATV from behind the sofa, as am expecting yet another bang average  💩 performance
    Is this on CATV ??  For people who watch it without a dodgy VPN I mean. I know a few midweek fixtures were said to be on legal live stream but want sure which ones.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Is this on CATV ??  For people who watch it without a dodgy VPN I mean. I know a few midweek fixtures were said to be on legal live stream but want sure which ones.

Midweek games don’t require VPN. It’s only 3pm sat games that do.
  • Options
    Things are getting desperate already, but surely we have got to scrape a win sometime? I think this will be another tough game but I live in hope that this is where we turn it around. 3-1 home win.

Would love to see our super sub putting in a rare appearance, but I will believe it when I see it!
  • Options
    I would imagine Aneke’s return will be the next straw to clutch at 

Exeter got a good win yesterday.  Is TS still in town?  

I predict this will be the game everything turns quite toxic for TS, BG and the team

0-3 Exeter 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on Chuks. Please inject some goals into this very dull to watch team.

We need something / someone to give us hope.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    He'll probably fall off the effing thing and twist his knee.
  • Options

Apologies Golfie, would normally have included this information in the preview.

It is indeed live on Charlton TV, £10 for UK and international viewers, or free if you have one of those IPTV box things.

Otherwise, the game is also live, in person, under the lights at The Valley, Floyd Road, Charlton, London, SE7 8BL. 

:smile:
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Sage said:

Apologies Golfie, would normally have included this information in the preview.

It is indeed live on Charlton TV, £10 for UK and international viewers, or free if you have one of those IPTV box things.

Otherwise, the game is also live, in person, under the lights at The Valley, Floyd Road, Charlton, London, SE7 8BL. 

:smile:
    Thanks.

Will probably watch it from home. Not the same now that Golfie Jnr is up in the music box and not sitting in the AC Stand with me. That & not wanting to drive home in the dark (read the eye operation thread about me and my mince pies) means I'll probably give this one a swerve but will pay a tenner to watch it all play out in vivid technicolor. 

If Aneke gets onto the pitch at any point in the game we win. If not then its Norway's infamous Eurovision score for us. 
  • Options
    Comfortable 6-5 win.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:
    Off_it said:
    Sounds great. I might ask my boss tomorrow if I can miss days from work because I worked earlier in the week!
    Are you an athlete as well?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    A win will move us up six places, anything else can mean us bottom four by 5 this Saturday.
    Let's hope Garner can deal with this pressure.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:
    Off_it said:
    Are you an athlete as well?
    There are many words I can think of to describe Aneke. 
    Athlete is not one of them.
  • Options
    See lavelle at golf on Saturday out injured 
  • Options
    We need a win to brighten the mood. 2-1.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!