Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Exeter City | Tuesday 11th October 2022 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    2 months ago I never imagined that we would go into a home game against Exeter, a newly promoted side, genuinely fearful. Yes they are a well run club, but it shows how dismal we've been recently that they will be coming to The Valley as slight favourites. Any team that can win 2-0 at Barnsley will give us a tough game.

My only crumbs of comfort are that we stuffed Plymouth, so maybe we are good against teams from Devon, and that it's Stockley against the team where he made his name, so maybe "the rule of the ex" will apply. 

Lose tomorrow, and I see things turning ugly. 
    Charlton are 13/10 favourites
    Exeter are 21/10
    Draw 23/10  on Ladbrokes.
  • Options

Didn't even watch the highlights from Saturday but don't buy into "the players are rubbish" argument. 

However, we do seem to be getting worse every week. We have clearly abandoned the passing from the back/ possession/ pressing  plan and while it might not have worked very well, it leaves us with no plan at all and looking entirely clueless. 

That 4-2-4 set up still produces zero attacking threat but leaves us very vulnerable to being steam- rollered. Of the front six players, only Dobson has a tackle in him. 

I would select our best player after Dobson (Clare) at right mid and only choose one of Raki-Saki/Kirk/CBT and give them a free role to cause problems on either wing. That would be much more solid/balanced and we can't create fewer goals than the current set up offers.  Also liberates Fraser to be more creative and get forward more. 

Heads are dropping all over the club and a win is sorely needed. 

1-1

(of course) 
    I don’t think we’ve abandoned it, so much as eased off on it. We were sticking to it too rigidly for things like goal kicks, when you need very good players to get around a proper high press. 
  • Options
    2 months ago I never imagined that we would go into a home game against Exeter, a newly promoted side, genuinely fearful. Yes they are a well run club, but it shows how dismal we've been recently that they will be coming to The Valley as slight favourites. Any team that can win 2-0 at Barnsley will give us a tough game.

My only crumbs of comfort are that we stuffed Plymouth, so maybe we are good against teams from Devon, and that it's Stockley against the team where he made his name, so maybe "the rule of the ex" will apply. 

Lose tomorrow, and I see things turning ugly. 
    Thats him getting sent off then!!
  • Options
    Will be a tough game, if we play like we have the past 4-5 weeks we'll lose by a 2 goal margin+

It's difficult to see where our next win will come from, but I live in hope. But my head says a 1-1 draw is the most likely if we don't lose....
  • Options
    we'll start a difficult run of fixtures with a win against the Grecians, IF Garner keeps the faith with a 4 4 2. We looked more solid against Lincoln and although it will take some time to get used to the new set up we are due a win and Exeter due a loss.
    Unchanged team barring injuries

CAFC 2 v Exeter City 0
  • Options
    2-1.
  • Options
    Has it come to a point where so relatively early in the season we’re clutching at straws; one of them being aneke (maybe he’s the only ‘straw’) ; it’s not even the case that if we score first then we win. Anyway we have to make the best of what we have and regardless of technical ability/experience etc it is amazing how changing one’s attitude to each and every game can have such an an impact on the result. Bowyers big thing was that word togetherness and Garner needs to show his own vulnerability to bring the team together
  • Options
    I'm going... coach up from Hythe, probably need my brains testing 
  • Options
    We need a win to brighten the mood. 2-1.
    Why do you do this to yourself?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chuks to make the bench which has had a makeover and now resembles sofa of the reclining type, full of some very lovely scatter cushions and fully alarmed to go off at the slightest hint of Chuks straining something. Sandgaard to sack part of the medical team as with Chuks back their workload has reduced by 75%. 2-2 draw. 
  • Options
    we'll start a difficult run of fixtures with a win against the Grecians, IF Garner keeps the faith with a 4 4 2. We looked more solid against Lincoln and although it will take some time to get used to the new set up we are due a win and Exeter due a loss.
    Unchanged team barring injuries

CAFC 2 v Exeter City 0
    If these are difficult fixtures, where are the easy ones  :D

For example in recent weeks we've played Forest  Green, Fleetwood and Lincoln, and failed to win any of them
  • Options
    Both a winnable game and a loseable one and oh yes a drawable one too. 
    Thanks for the insight.

I'm gonna lump on it being abandoned now then.

;-)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:
    Off_it said:
    Why wouldn't Innis play, is he injured?
    Doesn’t typically play a few days apart. 
    Sounds great. I might ask my boss tomorrow if I can miss days from work because I worked earlier in the week!
    Are you an athlete as well?
    No more than most.

I'm actually an artist!
    :-)
  • Options
    0-9 to Exeter
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:
    Off_it said:
    Why wouldn't Innis play, is he injured?
    Doesn’t typically play a few days apart. 
    Sounds great. I might ask my boss tomorrow if I can miss days from work because I worked earlier in the week!
    Are you an athlete as well?
    No more than most.

I'm actually a piss artist!
    :-)

• Options
    0-9 to Exeter
    Don't be silly!
    10!
  • Options
    3-1 to the Addicks a fine night under the Valley’s lights. Stockley, J R-S and yes, Aneke with our goals!
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    I hear we can expect “You dirty northern bastards,” from the travelling Grecians 😂
    Exeter isn’t down south…
  • Options
    BG has no real options - poor across the first team with no real strength in depth.

I’ll be happy with a draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    BG has no real options - poor across the first team with no real strength in depth.

I’ll be happy with a draw.
    You may be part of a small group there……. 
  • Options
    I think Thomas and Clare come in for Sessignon and Inniss and we play 4-2-2-2. Exter are good, well drilled, and have a way they play despite losing their manager.

We feel like we're drifting. The Garner sense of system and purpose that was evident in pre-season and at the start of the season seems to be fading. 

There is quality in this team, even if it's uneven and not always suited to the way Garner wants to play. But the longer we just drift, the harder it will be to course correct, even if Garner managed to turn things around with Swindon last year. 

I hope it turns around soon. If this season becomes another relegation battle then we risk things going really wrong, even if we don't get relegated. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Garners gone from having a preferred formation and telling us Stockley et al suit his system and playing style in August to needing to find how best to use them all in October. 

Garnerball will be taking an extended break.

A solid 442, that slightly inverted line up.

Wollacott
    Egbo O'Connell Thomas Sess
    Clare Dobson Fraser
                                             Kirk
           Stockley Leaburn

McGillivray, Ness, Chin, Mcgrandles, Morgan, Payne, A&ekeeeeeeeee 

1-0 win.

(Or 9-0 with Aneke coming off the bench and scoring a goal all 9 cos he scores every 43 seconds he's fit or something)
  • Options
    It has taken Garner a while, understandably, given the circumstances but he is starting to show some pragmatism which I think we should welcome. 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    I hear we can expect “You dirty northern bastards,” from the travelling Grecians 😂
    Exeter isn’t down south…
    It is on my map..... Unless I'm holding it upside down
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Exeter isn’t down south…
    It is on my map..... Unless I'm holding it upside down
    Yea was just a remark about the Plymouth/Exeter northern thing.
    Im in Plymouth you see.
  • Options
    3-0 Addicks, 2 for Aneke!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I’ll be watching on CATV from behind the sofa
    You've set your TV up behind the sofa?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!