Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The “Elgin Marbles”

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    What if they were originally from somewhere that's now underwater? Should we take them back and dump them in the sea and say "anyone that wants to view these need to dive down to see them"
    The Parthenon is very much above sea level.
  • Options
    So Elgin paid around £70,000 for them. Offer them back at the 2022 equivalent. It doesn't hurt to avoid pointless international squabbles about something as minor as this. 
  • Options
    I had a set of marbles as a kid. Loved them, all glass and with wonderful colours running through them, rolled to perfection, I had litterally minutes of fun back in 1968. Today I have lost my marbles, my life is sadlly bereft of their glassy clanking alure. What has this to do with this thread you may pointedly ask, or not? I don't know, you don't now, THEY don't know! Faux outrage seems to be the raison d'être behind most of these subjects. Subjects that care not a jot to 99.9% of people going about their day, be it downtown Greece or on the interweb, why can't people just get on and contemplate their own navels quietly? Social media will disapear down its own plughole eventually but my marbles, your marbles, their marbles...

Finished now.
  • Options
    I had a set of marbles as a kid. Loved them, all glass and with wonderful colours running through them, rolled to perfection, I had litterally minutes of fun back in 1968. Today I have lost my marbles, my life is sadlly bereft of their glassy clanking alure. What has this to do with this thread you may pointedly ask, or not? I don't know, you don't now, THEY don't know! Faux outrage seems to be the raison d'être behind most of these subjects. Subjects that care not a jot to 99.9% of people going about their day, be it downtown Greece or on the interweb, why can't people just get on and contemplate their own navels quietly? Social media will disapear down its own plughole eventually but my marbles, your marbles, their marbles...

Finished now.
    Wibble. 
  • Options
    Where do you draw the line with this? You could argue that the Bayeux Tapestry, made by Kentish nuns is hugely important  to our history and the French should return it to Canterbury where it was made. Scandinavian museums have articles on display that were looted from England in the 10th century. Should we demand them back? Once you start this you there will be no stop to it. I agree that the case of some items looted recently such as the Benin bronzes and Nazi art thefts should be returned. However the Elgin marbles are in a free museum open to the world and were purchased not looted. 

Britain are always in the wrong is the rule of thumb these people operate......
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Where do you draw the line with this? You could argue that the Bayeux Tapestry, made by Kentish nuns is hugely important  to our history and the French should return it to Canterbury where it was made. Scandinavian museums have articles on display that were looted from England in the 10th century. Should we demand them back? Once you start this you there will be no stop to it. I agree that the case of some items looted recently such as the Benin bronzes and Nazi art thefts should be returned. However the Elgin marbles are in a free museum open to the world and were purchased not looted. 

These people !!!!! Nice.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

These people !!!!! Nice.
    A generic term but might have been better to say something like Britain is always in the wrong is the premise adopted by those that ask such questions.
  • Options
    It’s all to do with tourism and money. On that basis they stay in London and can be viewed for no cost. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    It’s all to do with tourism and money. On that basis they stay in London and can be viewed for no cost. 
    And if you’re Greek ? 
  • Options
    The Louvre in Paris in my opinion is a better museum than the British Museum but you have to pay to get in.
    Paris doesn’t have the number of other fantastic museums like in London sadly.
    Maybe the British Museum could send the Elgin Marbles to the Louvre in Paris where I think they would suit their collection.
  • Options

Solidgone said:
    And if you’re Greek ? 
    I suppose if you are Greek and live in London or the uk then you can visit the marbles. If you live outside the UK, they could come to London for a nice long weekend and visit the marbles for as long as they like, all the other free museums and art galleries. Then go to the local Greek restaurant, then spend lots of euros to help build up the uK’s crumbling economy. 🤓
  • Options
    Please tell me that this is wrong.

• Options

Bloody hell - The British Museum is bloody huge innit
  • Options

You do realise that these sites aren’t new don’t you. 
  • Options
    Why don't they just make a full size convincing replica and send one back to Greece?
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Why don't they just make a full size convincing replica and send one back to Greece?
    Are you suggesting we paint Liz Truss like one of those street artists?
  • Options

You do realise that these sites aren’t new don’t you. 
    Errr…yes I do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Please tell me that this is wrong.

He can see out the glass window now. Done him a favour.
  • Options
    I was there last week, looking at the replica Carytid. They looked splendid.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Are you suggesting we paint Liz Truss like one of those street artists?
    Yes. They're usually mime artists too so she wouldn't be able to crash anything further 
  • Options
    on a historical note, Elgin bought the artifacts legally from the legitimate ruling authority of the region. The Ottomans had ruled Greece for 400 years and before that the Byzantine or Eastern Roman empire for 900 years and before that the Roman empire for about 500 years. So, we have just as much wright to them as the present-day Greeks.
    It should also be pointed out that when they were bought no one in the region had worshiped those goods for 1500 years or more, and the Christian's had on occasion vandalized the monument and the Muslims had also mistreated it.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Personally I think it’s a good thing that the Brits grabbed or paid for as much as they could when they had the sway, money and power to do so. It’s ours now and we should keep it no matter what.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Personally I think it’s a good thing that the Brits grabbed or paid for as much as they could when they had the sway, money and power to do so. It’s ours now and we should keep it no matter what.
    Finally you’ve come around…

…And people say that posters on this forum never deviate from their entrenched position. Shooters is the embodiment of the nonsense of that point of view.
  • Options
    Was it "grabbed" though Shoots?

I would assume it is quite heavy stuff and took at least 5 or 6 hefty geezers to lift it and place it all on a staw ladden ox-cart. The whole process would of been painfully slow.  Even more reason for us nasty Brits to cough up, and more so, because of all the stress and anguish caused to the locals by such a excrutiatingly laborious process. With the benefit of modern transport techniques, the process of getting them back to Greece should be a whole lot easier. For fucks sake do not use DHL or Yodel, kicking that package up the Panthoen driveway could result in a foot injury or worse, we do not want Britain's reputation sullied further!
  • Options

I would assume it is quite heavy stuff and took at least 5 or 6 hefty geezers to lift it and place it all on a staw ladden ox-cart. The whole process would of been painfully slow.  Even more reason for us nasty Brits to cough up, and more so, because of all the stress and anguish caused to the locals by such a excrutiatingly laborious process. With the benefit of modern transport techniques, the process of getting them back to Greece should be a whole lot easier. For fucks sake do not use DHL or Yodel, kicking that package up the Panthoen driveway could result in a foot injury or worse, we do not want Britain's reputation sullied further!
    Hermes will leave them in North Macedonia... 
  • Options

Hermes will leave them in North Macedonia... 
    Hermes is so last year. It’s Evri now @Algarveaddick Keep up