Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The “Elgin Marbles”

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Open a British Museum Annex in Athens and put the marbles back in country of origin but we keep legal title to them 
  • Options
    The marbles were bought and paid for and the workers would have been paid . 
    We should keep them. 
    Tge Ottomab turks had ruled Athens for 300 years by then and were the recognised legitimate government of the day so had the wright to sell them. The Greeks were not that interested in them. 
  • Options
    If we look at St Marks basillica in Venice, there are 4 magnificent horses made in around 4AD  stolen from I think Constantinople in the 13th century. In the 1980s they were removed from the front and replaced with replicas but the originals were simply kept on display inside the building to prevent polution damage. A lot of artifacts in Venice were 'stolen'.

Maybe if these horses were not stolen, they would no longer be here and melted down. What would have happened to the Elgin Marbles if they were not taken to this country? These are valid questions. Personally I wouldn't mind the marbles being sent back to Greece as a gesture of friendship but I have never seen them, nor have any desire to do so. And I think if we kept a bit and made copies of the rest it would have the same effect.
  • Options
    Open a British Museum Annex in Athens and put the marbles back in country of origin but we keep legal title to them 
    Not sure that that is a runner...

Anyway, the Greeks have a purpose built museum in Athens intended for the Parthenon Marbles on their return.
  • Options

Anyway, the Greeks have a purpose built museum in Athens intended for the Parthenon Marbles on their return.

Not quite. They have a new purpose built museum, but it wasn't purpose built for the marbles - it was built to replace the previous on-site museum, with or without the marbles...
  • Options
    Returning stolen property is a no brainer
    Can't see what all the fuss is about anyway, seen them at the museum and most of them are chipped, cracked or battered to varying degrees, talk about a let down.
    If Athens wants some busted carvings back, let em send a courier.
    Slightly less frivously: a lot of statuary and structural exhibits in museums are in fact plaster casts of the originals cos those originals are too big, heavy, fragile, valuable to have out on show.
    If the beards at BM are really so emotionally dependent on seeing these busted rocks on their shelves can't they plaster cast all of them, give the original (did I mention broken) relics back to whom they belong and they've still got the visual reminders to drool over, saving gazillions on the insurance policy too.  From a yard or so away nobody can tell the difference anyway. 
  • Options
    Do a straight swap 
    Give them thr marbles. 
    They give us Corfu. 
    Greeks get their marbles back.
    We get cheap holidays. 
    It's a win win situation. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Solidgone said:
    It’s all to do with tourism and money. On that basis they stay in London and can be viewed for no cost. 
    And if you’re Greek ? 
    I am a Geek and I think Great Britain they should stay where they are

Close thread
  • Options

Not quite. They have a new purpose built museum, but it wasn't purpose built for the marbles - it was built to replace the previous on-site museum, with or without the marbles...
    I'm not sure that Greeks would agree with that interpretation.  

My memory of when the museum was being built is that it was designed with a dedicated space for the Marbles and the blurb about the museum when it opened was that it was designed specifically with their return in mind (the new museum undermined arguments that there was no suitable location to preserve them safely).  

This article, from NPR, is interesting about the intent behind the museum:   https://www.npr.org/2009/10/19/113889188/greece-unveils-museum-meant-for-stolen-sculptures.