Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

T20 World Cup 2022

Comments

• Options
    The Indian fans in the MCG are happy now!
  • Options
    Ali hits onto own stumps. 132-5. 
  • Options
    Ben stokes 
  • Options
    What an occasion to get your first international T20 50
  • Options
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
  • Options
    Lovely.
  • Options
    got really nervous during the middle part of our innings. Marvellous. 
  • Options
    Get in well done guys.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big game player!
  • Options
    Not many better batsmen under pressure than Stokes. What a legend!
  • Options
    Not many better batsmen under pressure than Stokes. What a legend!
    I could make a fairly convincing argument that he created quite a lot of the pressure in the first place, but yes
  • Options
     Leuth said:
    First and hopefully last. The man for the big occasion but he's not remotely suited to the format in general. Leave on a high, imo
    Yup. No big occasions in T20.
  • Options
    I mean, I can see them giving Stokes man of the match quite easily, but my man of the match is the same as my man of the tournament. A small, feisty Zimbabwean lad ;)
  • Options
    Weird how the Brook wicket proved pivotal, but not in the way you'd imagine.

If that ball had gone past Shaheen for 4, then England would have had to face his last 2 overs.
  • Options
    Great stuff, more enjoyable with it tightening up half way through the innings. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    supaclive said:

That is a controversial statement

Stokes is a way better T20 player than half of our side. Batting. Bowling. Catching.

If your life depended on it, in the highest pressure there is NOBODY in the England side you want more stepping to the crease. In ANY format of the game.

Root may push him close.... but seriously!!

T20 at the top level is played very differently to how Stokes plays. I agree - if you're chasing about 140 in a final, you want him in the side. If you're chasing 170? Very different story. His bowling is nothing special in T20s and all the young players coming through are brilliant fielders. Maybe he can just play major tournaments, or in Australia; in our regular T20I side he'll just be keeping a more dynamic player out, and Asia is not going to be his bag at all in the format. 

Obviously, he was absolutely the right man for this specific situation. 
  • Options
    I see the non-cricket-regulars are piling in, knowing exactly what they're talking about ;)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:

Stokes is a way better T20 player than half of our side. Batting. Bowling. Catching.

If your life depended on it, in the highest pressure there is NOBODY in the England side you want more stepping to the crease. In ANY format of the game.

T20 at the top level is played very differently to how Stokes plays. I agree - if you're chasing about 140 in a final, you want him in the side. If you're chasing 170? Very different story. His bowling is nothing special in T20s and all the young players coming through are brilliant fielders. Maybe he can just play major tournaments, or in Australia; in our regular T20I side he'll just be keeping a more dynamic player out, and Asia is not going to be his bag at all in the format. 

The top level? Like a World Cup Final?
  • Options
    Stokes does it time & time again.  Incredible big match player
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I mean, I can see them giving Stokes man of the match quite easily, but my man of the match is the same as my man of the tournament. A small, feisty Zimbabwean lad ;)
    Rashid was class too,either deserved it.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I see the non-cricket-regulars are piling in, knowing exactly what they're talking about ;)
    Just because I don't post regularly on the cricketing threads doesn't mean I have no interest or knowledge of the game.

By and large, I'm just not interested in posting on cricket threads on here.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:

The top level? Like a World Cup Final?
    I would argue T20 franchise cricket is of a similar level. Like comparing the World Cup to the Champions League. As I say, England through their brilliant bowling and fielding were chasing low targets both times, which was perfect for Stokes to play relatively attritionally, picking his moments to play big shots, which he is very good at. If the games are 160+ games, you don't pick your moments. You have to find a way to take bowlers down, and hit to unusual parts of the ground. That isn't really his skillset. On Australian pitches, chasing low totals - that played entirely into his hands. And so he was the right man. He won't be in future though. Hence, leaving on a high. Test cricket is by far his best format - he's one of the greats of the modern game there.