Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    The 2-day build up to the Lionesses game "Down Under' was billed as underdog Straya beating the old enemy. Most seemed convinced that the Aussies would make the final. Pre-match punditry on both OPTUS and Channel 7 almost had them talking about the game and tournament were in the bag for the Green & Gold. Each of the 4 female Aussie Pundits had Straya winning. Suffice to say when the 3rd goal went in for us, I did have a wry smile on my face. LoL

Now the day after, the press here are firmly on the Spain bandwagon with comments like 'Viva el Espanol'. Makes me chuckle how much us POMS are despised here on the sporting front.
    Aren't they blaming the ball?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    bobmunro said:
    England have won 13 matches in a row in the Euro's and World Cup.

One more to go.

Son was down the end that Toone scored her great goal and Kerr scored her fantastic goal. 

I will obviously tip Spain for life insurance reasons.
    No, they only drew with Nigeria. 

We have won 13 matches in a row in Euro's and WC.
    We went to extra time against Spain in Euro's ( I was behind the goal for Stanway's winner in that Q.Final) and we beat Nigeria on penalties.

I have just checked the Rules and England have definitely won all 13 games.👍
    The bookies rules are different and those leeches can call it a draw before ET.

Chole Kelly who learnt her trade in the cages of west London( with six brothers) wins the prize for the most blatant piece of Shithousery with the extra ball on the pitch.
    As subtle as an air raid but you have to love her❤️

OK - I'll bite.

There are betting lines for 90 minutes that include the draw odds - if it's a draw at 90 minutes then the bookies pay out to anyone who backed the draw. Do you also expect them to pay out if the team you backed wins in extra time/penalties?

Odds to qualify with no draw stated are available.

I know you know that!

Hardly leeches, just common sense rules.

Of course it's a draw after 90 minutes and added time. 
    Not sure why AA thinks it's a draw if you win on penalties after ET ?  That was the Jose excuse!

Leeches to describe those saintly Bookmakers does sound harsh.
  • Options
    So none of our royals will attend the final, thought William was FA president - ah well he must be busy (not)
  • Options
    I thought neither William nor Sunak attended any of the England men's World Cup games in Qatar?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    So none of our royals will attend the final, thought William was FA president - ah well he must be busy (not)
    You'd have thought he would have had that date pegged down in his diary 
    He has. He's on holiday isn't he? Norfolk then Balmoral I think. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Breaking news.....
    PM Sunak and Prince William care about their carbon footprint and are both football fans, (the Saints and Villa)  so are leaving by a Yacht this morning from Southampton.
  • Options
    quality shirt @Eirik Bakke

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Leuth said:
    Carpenter 6?! After her effort for England's 2nd goal I'm surprised she's been allowed to remain in Australia

Those scores on the doors can't be done by anyone who even knows who the players are !

Hemp was brilliant from start to finish and slaughtered not only Carpenter in her RB position but most of the Aussie defenders.
    Hemp was a 9 for her skill on the ball, her amazing work rate and that pass to Russo for the 3rd goal was sublime. Hempo was a unanimous Player of the match.

Carpenter's stumble was because of pressure from Lauren Hemp who dovetailed so well with Allesia- one of our own- Russo who was a worthy 8 for her workrate and hold up play plus her signature goal. 

I'm a kind person(🤥) so Carpenter can have a generous 4.

Kerr and Fowler were the dangers for the Aussies and at 20 Mary Fowler will/could develop into a top player.  Kerr gets a 8 and if she could have put either of the other two chances away a 9 or 10 was a possibility as a final place could've come to fruition for the Matildas.

Most of the England players were 7.5's and even Lucy Bronze who can make errors at the back was solid and her mandatory barge in the back happened in the opponents box this time !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    It's an amazing journey that the Lionesses have been on. I wonder how many here were at England LADIES v Croatia Ladies* at the Valley. I think we won 2-0, I also saw them play Spain ( I think) at Millwall. Later I saw them lose at Wembley to Germany. That day Wembley capacity was restricted and public transport was severely curtailed. I took a punt two years ago and bought a ticket to the final of the forthcoming final of the Women's Euro Championship and was able to see England beat Germany and finally I saw the Finalissamo.

A large number of the England Women over the years played for the successful Charlton Women's team, disbanded after relegation in 2007

It's been a great journey hopefully capped by a win on Sunday, although this troubled Spanish team will be no pushover.

*If anyone has the match details of this match it would be great to see.
  • Options
    That obviously Australian ball is looking back and laughing at the delightful Ms Earp's acrobatic effort to keep him out of the net.
    Soon had that smile wiped off your polymer face though, didn't you...
  • Options

One more to go.

Son was down the end that Toone scored her great goal and Kerr scored her fantastic goal. 

We went to extra time against Spain in Euro's ( I was behind the goal for Stanway's winner in that Q.Final) and we beat Nigeria on penalties.

Chole Kelly who learnt her trade in the cages of west London( with six brothers) wins the prize for the most blatant piece of Shithousery with the extra ball on the pitch.
    I thought officially a win on penalties was a draw with the penalties win sort of an added extra. If the footie rules say it’s a win, then you’re correct. 
  • Options
    Interesting with Lauren James now, was fantastic in the group stage, but for me I'd name an unchanged side given the Australia game.
  • Options
    I trust our (male) squad was watching the Aus/England semi today .. perfect lessons in both tenacious defending (England) and, more importantly, attacking, shooting and scoring (both teams
    Very good game played in a good spirit in front of a huge crowd .. England in a football World Cup final, first time since 1966  :*
    this is what I mean about both sides with meaningless comparisons. England men’s are doing just fine. Unless you’re talking about Charlton? Which is even more pointless.

Well done girls, hopefully put in a big performance on Sunday, as Spain are a class side.

Class side who England beat in the 1/4 finals of the Euro championship
    Who were missing plenty of first team players and wasted some real guilt edge chances.

Too true.
    No Hermoso or Putellas to finish off the moves when they were skinning England down the flanks. They now have the talented 19 year old Salma Paralluelo on the left flank so Lucy Bronze (was good today) will need to be sharp. Plus both Hermoso and Putellas are in this WC. 
    Didn’t they have pretty much their best 11 against Japan? I’m not saying they’re not a good side but they are eminently beatable. 
  • Options
    Interesting with Lauren James now, was fantastic in the group stage, but for me I'd name an unchanged side given the Australia game.
    be amazed if she came straight back in the starting line up, fully expect to see her in the second half
  • Options
    siblers said:
    The behind the goal angle of Kerr's goal made it look like it deflected  off of Bright. 
    I thought it took it slightly closer to Earps. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

One more to go.

OK - I'll bite.

There are betting lines for 90 minutes that include the draw odds - if it's a draw at 90 minutes then the bookies pay out to anyone who backed the draw. Do you also expect them to pay out if the team you backed wins in extra time/penalties?

I know you know that!

Not sure why AA thinks it's a draw if you win on penalties after ET ?  That was the Jose excuse!

I always thought it counted in stats as a draw. Happy to be corrected. 
  • Options
    siblers said:
    The behind the goal angle of Kerr's goal made it look like it deflected  off of Bright. 
    and nestled top bins , well if there was 4 of them there
  • Options
    siblers said:
    and nestled top bins , well if there was 4 of them there
    One of my pet peeves - it was always "top bin" when I was a lad. Dunno when or why it started being pluralised to "top bins" it doesn't even sound right in my head
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

One more to go.

OK - I'll bite.

I know you know that!

It does 
  • Options
    I trust our (male) squad was watching the Aus/England semi today .. perfect lessons in both tenacious defending (England) and, more importantly, attacking, shooting and scoring (both teams
    Very good game played in a good spirit in front of a huge crowd .. England in a football World Cup final, first time since 1966  :*
    this is what I mean about both sides with meaningless comparisons. England men’s are doing just fine. Unless you’re talking about Charlton? Which is even more pointless.

Well done girls, hopefully put in a big performance on Sunday, as Spain are a class side.

Class side who England beat in the 1/4 finals of the Euro championship
    Who were missing plenty of first team players and wasted some real guilt edge chances.

Too true.
    No Hermoso or Putellas to finish off the moves when they were skinning England down the flanks. They now have the talented 19 year old Salma Paralluelo on the left flank so Lucy Bronze (was good today) will need to be sharp. Plus both Hermoso and Putellas are in this WC. 
    Didn’t they have pretty much their best 11 against Japan? I’m not saying they’re not a good side but they are eminently beatable. 

Good point AA.
    Japan were brilliant that day and despite only having about 30% possession they scored 4 cracking goals.
  • Options
    Here’s a bit of nostalgia from my own playing era. Not such a good one for CAFC, mind you. 

• Options
    bobmunro said:

One more to go.

OK - I'll bite.

I know you know that!

It does 

I have only heard the words "we won on penalties"  I have never heard are seen it written down that in knock out rounds a team drew on penalties.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    bobmunro said:

One more to go.

OK - I'll bite.

I know you know that!

It does 

I have only heard the words "we won on penalties"  I have never heard are seen it written down that in knock out rounds a team drew on penalties.
    Because it isn't possible in the laws of the game to draw on penalties. You play them until one side scores most after 5 or more.

You draw "the match" but win "the tie" You can bet on who wins "the tie" the same way you can bet on who wins "the match" (its usually a separate bet with different odds "to progress"  or something similar)

It's only really important in betting parlance though, but the distinction is still there when it comes to the stats

In the stats its still a win regardless of if it's AET or pens or in normal time. 

edit thats in my opinion of course, happy to be corrected by Bob if i'm wrong on this 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

One more to go.

OK - I'll bite.

I know you know that!

It does 

Because it isn't possible in the laws of the game to draw on penalties. You play them until one side scores most after 5 or more.

You draw "the match" but win "the tie" You can bet on who wins "the tie" the same way you can bet on who wins "the match" (its usually a separate bet with different odds "to progress"  or something similar)

It's only really important in betting parlance though, but the distinction is still there when it comes to the stats

In the stats its still a win regardless of if it's AET or pens or in normal time. 

edit thats in my opinion of course, happy to be corrected by Bob if i'm wrong on this 

I won't say Whoosh Manic but that's my point, you can only win on pens.

I accept people love to gamble and of course betting wise a draw is over 90mins + added time.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    bobmunro said:

One more to go.

OK - I'll bite.

I know you know that!

It does 

I accept people love to gamble and of course betting wise a draw is over 90mins + added time.
    i don't mind the odd woosh mate ;) in betting terms there are multiple outcomes. In football terms in knockout football there isn't - you win or lose.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

One more to go.

OK - I'll bite.

I know you know that!

It does 

i don't mind the odd woosh mate ;) in betting terms there are multiple outcomes. In football terms in knockout football there isn't - you win or lose.

Hence, why I have said England have won 13 matches in a row( Euro's and WC)but I was told there was a draw in a knock out match which sounds impossible at the end of Extra time and penalties.
    Are we are not agreeing 🤔
  • Options
    We have the 3rd and 4th place match which is normally between two sides feeling flat after getting so near and yet so far away.

England have played in this fixture over the last two WC.
    2015 Germany 0 England 1
    2019 England 1 Sweden 2