Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    TELTEL
    edited August 2023
    I trust our (male) squad was watching the Aus/England semi today .. perfect lessons in both tenacious defending (England) and, more importantly, attacking, shooting and scoring (both teams
    Very good game played in a good spirit in front of a huge crowd .. England in a football World Cup final, first time since 1966  :*
    this is what I mean about both sides with meaningless comparisons. England men’s are doing just fine. Unless you’re talking about Charlton? Which is even more pointless.

Well done girls, hopefully put in a big performance on Sunday, as Spain are a class side.

Class side who England beat in the 1/4 finals of the Euro championship
    Who were missing plenty of first team players and wasted some real guilt edge chances.

Too true.
    No Hermoso or Putellas to finish off the moves when they were skinning England down the flanks. They now have the talented 19 year old Salma Paralluelo on the left flank so Lucy Bronze (was good today) will need to be sharp. Plus both Hermoso and Putellas are in this WC. 
    Didn’t they have pretty much their best 11 against Japan? I’m not saying they’re not a good side but they are eminently beatable. 

Good point AA.
    Japan were brilliant that day and despite only having about 30% possession they scored 4 cracking goals.
    An absolute masterclass in playing 541 Japan that day. Fantastic 
  • Options
    Do you know how to cheer in Swedish , Tel?
  • Options
    Do you know how to cheer in Swedish , Tel?
    I'll ask Lars!
  • Options
    TEL said:
    On the absolute plus side.... I've just got a ticket to the Final... I'm absolutely chuffed. 

Awesome mate, enjoy and I hope you get to see England win the World Cup!!
  • Options
    Why didn’t that Aussie player get booked for waving an imaginary card? I thought that was a thing now?
  • Options
    TEL said:
    On the absolute plus side.... I've just got a ticket to the Final... I'm absolutely chuffed. 

Amazing. Enjoy 
  • Options
    If you are going to have a 3rd and 4th place match it's handy to have the host involved especially in Women's football which is still growing and for  some spectators it may be the first match they have ever been to.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Yes its a penalty.
    Didn't catch the name of the Swede who scored the Pen but it was the blonde 🤔
  • Options
    I wonder if the Australians in the crowd will still be booing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Handbags between Gorry and Asllani.
  • Options
    Full blooded 1st half which is refreshing to see.
    Both teams actually want to be 3rd.
  • Options
    Nice goal.
    Can’t see oz coming back now.

• Options
    TEL said:

I’m delighted for you 🤩♥️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Asllani with a great finish after a good pass from the hard working if erratic blackstenius. 2-0
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    This irritates me:
    Sam Kerr went down injured. Not a head injury. Aussie played on without her, attacked the Swedish goal but it came to nothing. Sweden counterattacked and the ref stopped the game to give Kerr attention.
    This isn’t ok. Either stop the game or don’t. Totally unfair on Sweden.
  • Options
    This is only the 9th Women's World Cup and Sweden are heading towards their 4th Third place finish.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Enjoy the game Tel

Wins for Sweden, Charlton and England.  What a trifecta that would be 😄
  • Options
    7th match for both teams in the world cup bubble over the last 4 weeks.
    Swedish nous and experience won the 3rd prize.

One game to go...
  • Options
    Sarina Wiegman in her 4th major final in 4 opportunities.

A case for her as a Souhtgate replacement when his contract runs out in Dec 2024?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably not, she's got no history managing men's football... Would be interested to see how she does
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    England have won 13 matches in a row in the Euro's and World Cup.

One more to go.

Son was down the end that Toone scored her great goal and Kerr scored her fantastic goal. 

I will obviously tip Spain for life insurance reasons.
    No, they only drew with Nigeria. 

We have won 13 matches in a row in Euro's and WC.
    We went to extra time against Spain in Euro's ( I was behind the goal for Stanway's winner in that Q.Final) and we beat Nigeria on penalties.

I have just checked the Rules and England have definitely won all 13 games.👍
    The bookies rules are different and those leeches can call it a draw before ET.

Chole Kelly who learnt her trade in the cages of west London( with six brothers) wins the prize for the most blatant piece of Shithousery with the extra ball on the pitch.
    As subtle as an air raid but you have to love her❤️

OK - I'll bite.

There are betting lines for 90 minutes that include the draw odds - if it's a draw at 90 minutes then the bookies pay out to anyone who backed the draw. Do you also expect them to pay out if the team you backed wins in extra time/penalties?

Odds to qualify with no draw stated are available.

I know you know that!

Hardly leeches, just common sense rules.

Of course it's a draw after 90 minutes and added time. 
    Not sure why AA thinks it's a draw if you win on penalties after ET ?  That was the Jose excuse!

Leeches to describe those saintly Bookmakers does sound harsh.
    I always thought it counted in stats as a draw. Happy to be corrected. 
    It does 

I have only heard the words "we won on penalties"  I have never heard are seen it written down that in knock out rounds a team drew on penalties.
    Because it isn't possible in the laws of the game to draw on penalties. You play them until one side scores most after 5 or more.

You draw "the match" but win "the tie" You can bet on who wins "the tie" the same way you can bet on who wins "the match" (its usually a separate bet with different odds "to progress"  or something similar)

It's only really important in betting parlance though, but the distinction is still there when it comes to the stats

In the stats its still a win regardless of if it's AET or pens or in normal time. 

edit thats in my opinion of course, happy to be corrected by Bob if i'm wrong on this 

I won't say Whoosh Manic but that's my point, you can only win on pens.

I accept people love to gamble and of course betting wise a draw is over 90mins + added time.
    i don't mind the odd woosh mate ;) in betting terms there are multiple outcomes. In football terms in knockout football there isn't - you win or lose.

Hence, why I have said England have won 13 matches in a row( Euro's and WC)but I was told there was a draw in a knock out match which sounds impossible at the end of Extra time and penalties.
    Are we are not agreeing 🤔
    From Wikipedia (yes, I know):
    A team that loses a penalty shoot-out is eliminated from the tournament while the winning team in the shoot-out advances to the next round or is crowned champion but the match is classed as a draw by FIFA. For instance, the Netherlands are considered to have concluded the 2014 FIFA World Cupundefeated, despite being eliminated at the semi-final stage.
  • Options
    Sarina Wiegman has now been Coaching for 20 years since retiring after 99 official caps for the Netherlands.

2017 coached the Dutch to Euro winners at home

2019 coached the Dutch to runners up in France to the powerful USA in World Cup.

2022 coached England to Euro winners at home.

2023 coached England to a final of a World cup. 
    Seven steps to football heaven IF England win. 
  • Options
    Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself on winngijg a Euros and losing a final of a World Cup!!
  • Options
    Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself on winngijg a Euros and losing a final of a World Cup!!

Neil, that is my fear 🙄

Winning a World cup away from home is such a difficult achievement and either England or Spain with join with USA 4, Germany 2, Japan 1 and Norway 1 in being Women's World cup winners since 1991.

The English women were amateurs in 1995 the first year England entered and many had to give up their jobs or save up their  holidays to take part.

28 years later...

• Options

It’s a bit rubbish that neither the King, the Prime Minister or Prince William have gone to the final. I know it’s a long way but if it was the men’s team they’d be there like a shot.
  • Options
    England win on pens