Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• All the attention will be on relegation battle. 

Title practically over. 
    Pity Essex and Surrey only played each other once and Surrey saved by weather 
  • Come on Mighty Kent. 

• Century for Liam Dawson as Hants beat Essex. Baffling how England have dumped him completely.
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    they are not even going for it

Fuck Warks
    Get in Warks you beauties 
    My 2nd fave county ! 

Great stuff ! Fingers crossed that the weather next week doesn't affect our match negatively.

But the BIG question is......

Do I shell out for a new pair of You Know Whats just in case ?  :s
  • MrOneLung said:
    All the attention will be on relegation battle. 

Title practically over. 
    Pity Essex and Surrey only played each other once and Surrey saved by weather 
    It is a complete and utter rubbish that all the teams do not play each other twice. Imagine a PL where, for example, City and Liverpool only played each other once. The likes of Arsenal would, rightly, go absolutely ballistic   
  • We deserve to go down. But then so do Middlesex, a team with 2 batting points all season. AND a really lenient ECB punishment...
    What difference does it make financially to be in division 2 ?  
  • To many a Kent supporter Warwickshire have been a side we not too keen on. The fungistat on the pitch . However after today The Beers might be of the naughty step 
  • Who'd have thought Warwickshire would do Kent a favour given the history between the two clubs over the years?

That win combined with Kent scraping a draw, despite virtually no penetrative bowling and largely indifferent batting, means we must at least match Middlesex in the final fixture to survive. I'll be at Canterbury on the Wednesday.
  • Now, "to be forewarned is to be forearmed" as the saying goes. Given that there is just a single point between us and Middlesex, what happens if we both finish on the same number of points? 

If any sides have equal points, tie-breakers are applied in the following order: most wins, fewest losses, team achieving most points in contests between teams level on points, most wickets taken, most runs scored

So we would go down by virtue of the fact that we have won one less match. 

The issue with playing Lancashire is that they don't lose games - they are in fifth place but their sole defeat was against Essex and that was by the relatively small margin of 46 runs. Their problem has been their inability to win many games (three in fact). They have actually drawn no less than nine of their 13 matches.

The chances are that the best we can hope for is a draw but that is a realistic hope providing we turn up with bat and ball. The weather might well play at part too but surely the call is to bat first if we win the toss? If we can get to 350 and then pick up half a dozen wickets plus (and that draw) then, by virtue of the fact that Middlesex have managed just two batting points all season, they will probably have to beat Nottinghamshire to finish above us.

That's the theory anyway!

• Now, "to be forewarned is to be forearmed" as the saying goes. Given that there is just a single point between us and Middlesex, what happens if we both finish on the same number of points? 

If any sides have equal points, tie-breakers are applied in the following order: most wins, fewest losses, team achieving most points in contests between teams level on points, most wickets taken, most runs scored

The issue with playing Lancashire is that they don't lose games - they are in fifth place but their sole defeat was against Essex and that was by the relatively small margin of 46 runs. Their problem has been their inability to win many games (three in fact). They have actually drawn no less than nine of their 13 matches.

The chances are that the best we can hope for is a draw but that is a realistic hope providing we turn up with bat and ball. The weather might well play at part too but surely the call is to bat first if we win the toss? If we can get to 350 and then pick up half a dozen wickets plus (and that draw) then, by virtue of the fact that Middlesex have managed just two batting points all season, they will probably have to beat Nottinghamshire to finish above us.

Both matches washed out would be a great result :)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Now, "to be forewarned is to be forearmed" as the saying goes. Given that there is just a single point between us and Middlesex, what happens if we both finish on the same number of points? 

Some of that is down to the Manchester factor. 84 overs bowled in the whole game this week!

You imagine the Canterbury pitch will be a bunsen so that we can at least bowl Lancs out with our awful seam attack, especially if Hogan is out injured as well.
  • Heard we are likely getting Will Buttleman after his release from Essex
  • Kent should try and sign Kai Smith... They was offered him, but at that point, they had Cox, Billings and Robinson.. He went to Warwickshire, but I am sure if Kent offered him something he would sign.. He attends King School, family live in Kent, he is only 19 but a big future in front of him.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Kent should try and sign Kai Smith... They was offered him, but at that point, they had Cox, Billings and Robinson.. He went to Warwickshire, but I am sure if Kent offered him something he would sign.. He attends King School, family live in Kent, he is only 19 but a big future in front of him.
    Has he left Warwickshire because he played in half a dozen of their 50 over games? He kept just the once for them though and had scores of 19*, DNB, 12, 4*, DNB and 16. He also played two Warwickshire 2s games with scores of 27 and 54 but only turned out twice for his club, Sandwich - back in May with with scores of 24 and 20. Perhaps it was his school games, A Levels or injury that restricted his games on Cricket Archive I don't know. 

As I say, I would be surprised if he isn't still attached to Warwickshire given his exposure in the Metro Cup. Buttleman, although certainly not statistically pulling up any trees, is considered by some members at Essex at being unlucky. I haven't seen him play much but have seen Kai Smith at fist hand and also Daniel O'Drisoll, recently released by Middlesex at first hand and wouldn't say that there is much between those two. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Heard we are likely getting Will Buttleman after his release from Essex
    Probably a two year contract if that is the case to coincide with the potential return of one of our former keeper/bats? Providing, of course, we are still in the top flight that is and depending on our needs and how attached he is to his current club. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Kent should try and sign Kai Smith... They was offered him, but at that point, they had Cox, Billings and Robinson.. He went to Warwickshire, but I am sure if Kent offered him something he would sign.. He attends King School, family live in Kent, he is only 19 but a big future in front of him.
    Has he left Warwickshire because he played in half a dozen of their 50 over games? He kept just the once for them though and had scores of 19*, DNB, 12, 4*, DNB and 16. He also played two Warwickshire 2s games with scores of 27 and 54 but only turned out twice for his club, Sandwich - back in May with with scores of 24 and 20. Perhaps it was his school games, A Levels or injury that restricted his games on Cricket Archive I don't know. 

As I say, I would be surprised if he isn't still attached to Warwickshire given his exposure in the Metro Cup. Buttleman, although certainly not statistically pulling up any trees, is considered by some members at Essex at being unlucky. I haven't seen him play much but have seen Kai Smith at fist hand and also Daniel O'Drisoll, recently released by Middlesex at first hand and wouldn't say that there is much between those two. 
    Kai hasn't left them no, they rate him highly, and was a bit unlucky this year in the One Day cup with Warwickshire having more players available.

He has played a few more games for Warwickshire 2s, I believe he has 2 or 3 scores to his name. He left Sandwich at the start of the season, as they wanted him to play further up the line. He was playing for Harborne Cricket Club, and looks like he did okay.

He is still young, and will only get better, I think he would be worth a punt, but having said that not sure Warwickshire are wiling to let him go yet.
  • Is this a team to keep us up ? 
  • I assume the pitch will be spin friendly to help us take wickets, and with little grass cover. Unless we can bring Stevo out of retirement!
  • Smith and Jacks are being released to play for Surrey from Day 2 onwards. Crawley is centrally contracted so I suppose it's down to him as to whether he plays or not because it's not as if he's got loads of games coming up is it? 
  • Sponsored links:

• If they had played the final Ireland game on Monday, then all the players could have returned to their counties.
  • It looks like Canterbury will be dryer than other parts of the country, making a result more likely.
  • No surprises with today's XI though with O'Riordan and Singh left out although it does, inevitably, leave us with a somewhat long tail - 

•  TS Muyeye
    •  BG Compton
    •  DJ Bell-Drummond
    •  JA Leaning*
    •  JL Denly
    •  HZ Finch†
    •  JDM Evison
    •  ASS Nijjar
    •  NN Gilchrist
    •  MR Quinn
    •  YS Chahal
  • Lancashire won the toss unfortunately and elected to bat
  • The Notts v Middlesex game has been delayed due to rain
  • Wicket !!!

Jennings out for 4
  • Quinn gets the big wicket of Jennings. Caught by Compton diving

9-1
  • Wicket to Gilchrist - Wells caught behind by Finch

17-2
  • The commentator has said that "as sure as he can be, Crawley has been nominated by Kent to play from day 2". The com-commentator, in response, said that "we know that Hartley has been nominated by Lancashire". Yet again, the availability of our players is shrouded in mystery. Why?  
  • Quinn gets the big wicket of Jennings. Caught by Compton diving

9-1
    Also huge bounce!!