Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Options
    Well done Kent, now can someone explain to me why they all play only 14 games instead of 18, and how they decide who plays who once and who plays who twice?   
    It's because they have to fit The Hundred in. It is an extremely unfair system. This is meant to be professional sport and the next step down from Test cricket but the ECB treat it as a second rate competition. 

I have no idea how the opposition is decided but we need to be eternally grateful that the bottom side, Northants, weren't one of the two teams we only played once because our only two wins were against them.
    As a Northants fan I am glad we could be of service...  :D  
  • Options
    Gotta be honest, we were so bad at times this season that I hade relegation as a certainty at the start of september. Great final day (for us) and I'll abandon cricket for a while now in favour of....... charlton.
    We ended up staying up after drawing all 3 games in September, whereas Middlesex had 4 games, drawing 1 and losing 3.

Incredibly tight margins in the last 2 matches though, a week ago Middlesex were 9 balls away from scraping an undeserved draw against Warwickshire, and today lost by 2 wickets.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Pico said:
    Addick Addict  -  many thanks for all your interesting and informative posts throughout the season. Take a bow. 
    Thanks for that but I'm just one of many informed posters on here. It's just I post the most and much of it I've already said. More than a few times  :D  
  • Options
    PWR

120 odd posts, I assume we’ve stayed up?
  • Options
    Just!
  • Options
    Walks is a genuinely good bloke. I'm not going to claim that I know him that well but we do exchange pleasantries when we see each other - he coached Seb from time to time and his son, Charlie, played a couple of years in the same Kent age group side before Charlie elected to go down the football path. I hope that he stays if only for the fact that he seems to have been able to get us to move away from the idea that certain players are, perhaps, going to be picked regardless of whatever form they are in and whoever they are. Hopefully, he and Cook will get working on filling the gaps not least in the fast bowling department and another keeper even if Billings stays albeit that this will be dictated to by our budget.  
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Just!

Nonsense - a comfortable 7 point gap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In reality, Cox, Logan and Blake are going for sure, Bhuiyan might not be offered another contract, Hogan might well become bowling coach, there has to be a question mark about Klaassen if he's out of contract and I'm not sure whether O'Riordan has anything left on his either. Crawley might only be available sporadically too as he might also be involved in white ball for England. So that's potentially eight unavailable and that's without any surprises. Parkinson is the only known addition although Fulton did mention Agar coming back which would be a plus but, even with those two, we probably would only have 15/16 on the staff. 
  • Options
    https://www.espncricinfo.com/records/tournament/averages-batting-bowling-by-team/county-championship-division-one-2023-15156

Summing Kent up, our red ball bowling attack isn't anywhere near good enough. We've not recovered from losing Matt Henry and not replaced the threat Stevo had on green tops either. So many bowlers used, but none of our "own" players are good enough in red ball cricket.

By contrast the batting should be good enough, but too many players were out of touch in the CC for much of the season, or had just one decent innings
    DBD had that purple spell, but that 300 was his only CC century
    Leaning's top score was 68* and he played all 14 games
    Compton did nothing between first and last games of the season
    Denly was terrible until the last 2 games
    Cox had 1 ton, but no 50s

• Options
    In reality, Cox, Logan and Blake are going for sure, Bhuiyan might not be offered another contract, Hogan might well become bowling coach, there has to be a question mark about Klaassen if he's out of contract and I'm not sure whether O'Riordan has anything left on his either. Crawley might only be available sporadically too as he might also be involved in white ball for England. So that's potentially eight unavailable and that's without any surprises. Parkinson is the only known addition although Fulton did mention Agar coming back which would be a plus but, even with those two, we probably would only have 15/16 on the staff. 
    Of those only Cox and Klaassen (and Hogan to a lesser extent) would be missed.

Logan hasn't played in our first team since 2021, which made him an odd signing. Blake seems a shadow of his former self, while Bhuiyan and O'Riordan are fringe players. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I’ve been impressed with Nijjar and would be happy for him to join permanently, although with Qadri and Parkinson in the spin department it may not be likely. 
    I’ve been disappointed with Billings both in terms of his form plus not being around to give the guys support even when not playing… he is club captain after all! I wouldn’t be bothered if he left.
    Nijjar doesn't feel like a priority position, when we have Parkinson as the main spinner, and Leaning as a secondary spinner for normal pitches. Indeed it can be argued that Leaning isn't good enough to justify being played just as a red ball batsman.
    If Qadri that effective in red ball cricket though?

The Billings situation this season has been ridiculous.
  • Options
    Well, well, well. What was all the fuss about ?  Never in doubt. B)

This is my first post for hours as I couldn't trust my fat fingers to type anything remotely sensible until that final, wonderful run was scored. I have just about regained my equilibrium and exited the dark room following a lengthy lie down. 

Really only have one thing to add....

GET IN !!!!!!

Seriously, we're staying overnight in Shrewsbury after the game tomorrow, in the company of our Middlesex member /supporter pal .

Not sure whether to let her grieve in peace tonight or to send a supportive email and get it over with....Any suggestions, guys ? 

Included in the KCCC email received earlier summing up the day's performance, was the voting form for this season's POTY. 

Not the easiest of decisions to make & wondering how others will vote....
    I voted D B-D as a score of 300 is a rare event in Kent history and nobody else did anything exceptional during the season.
  • Options
    As elated as I am that we have stayed up, does this not paper over the cracks? Major changes needed and as nice as Walker is fresh ideas and direction is needed. Really hope we recruit well over the winter as bowlers are required and a strong overseas middle order batter has to be brought in.  
  • Options
    How could Zak have been allowed to join this game (if he hadn't been ill) if this game started on the same day as the England game?
    Counties were allowed to do so providing they nominated the player he would replace before the game and as long as the replacement was available for the final two days at least. Surrey and Lancs both did so. 
     I wonder if it was a tactical 'not well' ? I don't mean by him, but by Kent and him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How could Zak have been allowed to join this game (if he hadn't been ill) if this game started on the same day as the England game?
    Counties were allowed to do so providing they nominated the player he would replace before the game and as long as the replacement was available for the final two days at least. Surrey and Lancs both did so. 
     I wonder if it was a tactical 'not well' ? I don't mean by him, but by Kent and him
    If Zak had come in on Thursday as planned, the way it turned out he wouldn't have batted anyway!
  • Options
    Well done Kent, now can someone explain to me why they all play only 14 games instead of 18, and how they decide who plays who once and who plays who twice?   
    It's because they have to fit The Hundred in. It is an extremely unfair system. This is meant to be professional sport and the next step down from Test cricket but the ECB treat it as a second rate competition. 

I have no idea how the opposition is decided but we need to be eternally grateful that the bottom side, Northants, weren't one of the two teams we only played once because our only two wins were against them.
    The 'bloody Hundred'!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Cliff-hanger of a day. Well done to both Lancashire and Notts for keeping the integrity of the game by being professional to the end, Lots of teams would have just given up and thinking of their holiday.

If things dont improve can see much the same next season.
  • Options
    Have we ever had a worse, statistically, 9,10 Jack? 

Gilchrist (6.21)
    Quinn (10.61)
    Chahal (8.29)
    John Dye and Norman Graham, Norman Graham and Kevin Jarvis were definitely worse at 10 and Jack. 'Deadly' would be 9 but statistically I think Deadly's career average was in single figures even though in my view he was better at batting than those 3 and scored a first class ton.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Have we ever had a worse, statistically, 9,10 Jack? 

Gilchrist (6.21)
    Quinn (10.61)
    Chahal (8.29)
    John Dye and Norman Graham, Norman Graham and Kevin Jarvis were definitely worse at 10 and Jack. 'Deadly' would be 9 but statistically I think Deadly's career average was in single figures even though in my view he was better at batting than those 3 and scored a first class ton.
    That's a great shout Len: 

Dye (6.37)
    Graham (3.84)
    Underwood (10.12 though Test average was 11.56)
    Jarvis (3.59)

So, Underwood/Graham/Jarvis would equate to 5.86 average and comfortably beat the combo of Quinn/Chahal/Gilchrist combo (8.37)
  • Options
    The academy at Beckenham needs to produce the backbone of the team.

Alec Stewart made the point the most of his squad are home grown but has to be topped up with overseas players because of England call ups.
  • Options
    Nothing to do with Kent really but I had to put it somewhere.  Sorry, not sorry 

• Options
    Interesting that 50 overs is DBD's favourite format

• Options
    PCA Player of the year is Tammy Beaumont.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻♥️