Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    thecat said:
    What does this tell us about the status of the takeover? Could be it's close and new lot happy with Holden or TS going to remain as majority shareholder.

It says sat down with Peter Storrie, I assume form that the new guys are happy with him and have arranged. I think that is the best thing. Holden has worked with the players for 3 months and will know what he wants and does not want. 

Positive it mentions making plans for next year already.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Delighted. Some doubters on here, but I don't think Powell had much to work with when he took over from Parkinson and we were hardly impressive then. We all know what followed after the rebuild. I'm hoping my comparison proves a valid one and I'm not worried (about Holden)
  • Options
    I think Holden has got decent managerial skills and could do us good with a decent squad. I think it is time to stick with a manager. Curbs squad lost in playoffs to (better not mention) in 96. The next season we were 15th a definite sacking offence nowadays. And then what happened?
  • Options
    Is TS giving him the deal or new owner(s) giving the go ahead?
  • Options
    Holden seems a decent person, and has shown he's "good enough" as a manager.

The important thing is that we have a manager in place now for next season, to plan for the summer window who knows what sort of team and players we want next season. 

AND has sufficient backing, which is the major problem at the moment with the ownership in limbo.
  • Options
    Presumably the new owner, SLP article said:

Holden met with chief executive Peter Storrie last week to begin putting down plans for next season, including their pre-season programme.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Meh. 

I'll give him another year but can't say what I've seen on the pitch has been good. 

The constant 'he gets us' while we lose to Accrington, Cambridge and Morecambe will be tiresome. 
    How would any manager get this squad playing consistently well?
    Meh doesn't mean get rid. 

It means I don't care because it doesn't matter. With the ownership in place Holden does nothing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We badly need some continuity, so it's a good thing in that respect.
    I like the cut of his jib, but whether he has what it takes I really don't know.
    We keep asking our managers to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.
    The trouble in getting the silk purse is easy if you recruit well. The problem is retaining it. We live in a world of shortermism. From 1954
    To 1963 when I left for Oz there were constants. Our core group was there for many years. Impossible now unless we are a wealthy club. Just hope whoever takes us over has deep pockets 
  • Options
    Holden needs to be given at least two years before any reviews. I will be interested in who he brings in playerwise in the summer. Also who is his trusted number two? I often wonder whether Adkins would have done better had he picked his own team. Dean now has the chance to do that.
  • Options
    It's so hard to tell given the circumstances surrounding the club and ownership moving forward.

I like how Holden comes across.  He seems more competent and able than Garner and he's hamstrung at the moment in terms of what he's working with, as outside of a few youth prospects and Dobson, the rest aren't good enough (I include the likes of Blackett Taylor, Clare and Fraser in this).  He'll need backing, as will anyone, and let's be honest, TS will not be spending any money in the summer and the transfer activity is likely to resemble last summer's, if that.  He'll have to do a job with loans, cheap free agents and youth.  

He's probably the best we're going to do in the circumstances, and although that might be a bit insulting to him, if we had a proper owner, stability, competence and ambition, he probably wouldn't have got a look in based on past history.  Neither would Garner for that matter.  TS is out of options and if I am honest, I expected Holden to leave at the end of his deal and Anthony Hughes to come back as interim 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Great news. He gets us.
    See this peddled out a lot, but have never known what it means. 
    Basically it means Dean Realises we are a basket case of a club, but at the end of the day he needs a job to pay the bills, would love to know what support he will be given in the summer for transfers, another load of league 2 signings?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Great news. He gets us.
    See this peddled out a lot, but have never known what it means. 
    He has been given a copy of all the season ticket holders names 😁
  • Options
    Tibbles
    I assume you meant Andy Hughes? 
  • Options
    Tibbles
    I think he meant Anthony Hayes.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Presumably the new owner, SLP article said:

Holden met with chief executive Peter Storrie last week to begin putting down plans for next season, including their pre-season programme.
    The odd thing about that is that we have no idea whether Storrie will be around next summer. Or even next month  :D
  • Options
    Tibbles
    Thank you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What’s the Storrie, purgatory?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    It's so hard to tell given the circumstances surrounding the club and ownership moving forward.

I like how Holden comes across.  He seems more competent and able than Garner and he's hamstrung at the moment in terms of what he's working with, as outside of a few youth prospects and Dobson, the rest aren't good enough (I include the likes of Blackett Taylor, Clare and Fraser in this).  He'll need backing, as will anyone, and let's be honest, TS will not be spending any money in the summer and the transfer activity is likely to resemble last summer's, if that.  He'll have to do a job with loans, cheap free agents and youth.  

He's probably the best we're going to do in the circumstances, and although that might be a bit insulting to him, if we had a proper owner, stability, competence and ambition, he probably wouldn't have got a look in based on past history.  Neither would Garner for that matter.  TS is out of options and if I am honest, I expected Holden to leave at the end of his deal and Anthony Hughes to come back as interim 
    oh shit.. another injury
  • Options
    I’m pleased with this. We can’t keep changing managers. We need some stability. I think he has potential but he does need the backing of the owner, whoever that will be. That is the key. 

Even if it takes 2 or 3 years to get out of L1. I’m happy with that if we can feel some stability and that we’re progressing as a team. 
  • Options
    Great news.
  • Options
    I agree 100%. Great news.Settled in really fast, commands the attention of the squad and "he gets us". Long may he be around to provide stability and success.  
  • Options
    Tibbles
    I meant Ben Hayes ;-) 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Tibbles
    I meant Ben Hayes ;-) 
    I meant Hayes & Yeading 
  • Options
    follett said:
    Only at Charlton could a manager get a contract extension after going 6 hours without scoring. 

I like Holden and under the circumstances will take him. I just don't really see him as much of an improvement on Garner but realistically under current ownership no manager is going to thrive.
    Phil Parkinson topped Holden's record by a country mile when we made him permanent! 

I see dean as a good motivator, his 'people' skills are really good. 

A pundit on the podcast 'not the top 20' seems to think he's not a tactical manger, and he's good for the initial bounce, but then results fade away, and I can't argue with that, with what we've seen. 

So if dean does get the job, he has to bring in a number 2 who fills the weaknesses in Dean's managerial aptitude. 

I do enjoy his willingness to understand the club, he wants the affiliation with the fans, I also believe he needs to 'get us' as some of us are saying, to do a better job. 

Lastly, it really does come down to squad quality and depth, and that, without outside investment or a takeover, will derail his time here, like the ones before him. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    I just hope he gets the backing in the summer that he and the supporters deserve
    I think this points to having new owners before the end of the season. I dont think Holden would've signed a new long-term contract if TS was still going to be in-charge, especially as he had his conversation with Storrie and the comment on the official web-site regarding AMB is only from Storrie, TS normally doesnt miss a chance to put his two-pennath in!