Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    I just hope he gets the backing in the summer that he and the supporters deserve
    I think this points to having new owners before the end of the season. I dont think Holden would've signed a new long-term contract if TS was still going to be in-charge, especially as he had his conversation with Storrie and the comment on the official web-site regarding AMB is only from Storrie, TS normally doesnt miss a chance to put his two-pennath in! 
    Or less optimistically he is deferring to a CEO because that’s what we demanded 😉
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    I just hope he gets the backing in the summer that he and the supporters deserve
    I think this points to having new owners before the end of the season. I dont think Holden would've signed a new long-term contract if TS was still going to be in-charge, especially as he had his conversation with Storrie and the comment on the official web-site regarding AMB is only from Storrie, TS normally doesnt miss a chance to put his two-pennath in! 
    Or less optimistically he is deferring to a CEO because that’s what we demanded 😉
    And what the CEO is paid to do 
  • Options
    I think this is good news. The initial manager bounce has worn off but that's more down to us having an inadequate squad at this level to challenge near the top on a consistent basis 
  • Options
    Have I missed official confirmation of Dean Holden';s new contract? I saw Rich Cawley's tweet yesterday but nothing on the official website. Announcing just before kick off today?
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    follett said:
    Only at Charlton could a manager get a contract extension after going 6 hours without scoring. 

I like Holden and under the circumstances will take him. I just don't really see him as much of an improvement on Garner but realistically under current ownership no manager is going to thrive.
    Phil Parkinson topped Holden's record by a country mile when we made him permanent! 

I see dean as a good motivator, his 'people' skills are really good. 

A pundit on the podcast 'not the top 20' seems to think he's not a tactical manger, and he's good for the initial bounce, but then results fade away, and I can't argue with that, with what we've seen. 

So if dean does get the job, he has to bring in a number 2 who fills the weaknesses in Dean's managerial aptitude. 

I do enjoy his willingness to understand the club, he wants the affiliation with the fans, I also believe he needs to 'get us' as some of us are saying, to do a better job. 

Lastly, it really does come down to squad quality and depth, and that, without outside investment or a takeover, will derail his time here, like the ones before him. 
    We now have a coaching vacancy, so it will be interesting who Holden brings in. I remember the slight surprise here when Jacko brought in Skiverton, rather than someone higher up the pyramid, but he had Jason Euell as well.
  • Options
    Summer 2026 signed, sealed and delivered 
  • Options
    Wasn't expecting such a long deal. Have zero expectations that he will survive 3 years!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    terrific news
  • Options
    I'm pleased he has signed and pleased at 3 years, now we just need a new owner who will back him!
  • Options
    0-4 loss coming up today then
  • Options
    Great news... Especially after his comments @ Woolwich Barracks the other day, when talking about pre-season
  • Options
    At least gives the impression of long term continuity which will help with player recruitment and contract renewals moving forwards.

Whether the correct mechanisms are in place to actually make use of this are a different story though. 
  • Options
    Congrats Dean. Hope you can lead us to a promotion during your tenure. 👍
  • Options
    We need a total rebuild and giving the manager a long term contract hopefully is the 1st step. He can now start planning for next season. 
  • Options
    This must mean that some investment (be new owners or new investors) is incoming?

I’m delighted, I really like the cut of his jib 👍🏼
    Thought the same. Spiegel/Storrie group? There's nothing to suggest Spiegel is wealthy enough to be doing it alone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    This must mean that some investment (be new owners or new investors) is incoming?

I’m delighted, I really like the cut of his jib 👍🏼
    Thought the same. Spiegel/Storrie group? There's nothing to suggest Spiegel is wealthy enough to be doing it alone.
    Still hoping its the Lens bloke - Doesnt mean Storrie doesnt have other connections though

This is what I'm hoping too , Spiegel on his own with his circa $100m isn't going to be enough to push forward, but if someone like the Lens owner is involved then I could see that happening 
  • Options
    Not a fan of Holden as a manager  , but his heart is in the right place. 
  • Options
    Seems a lovely fella, no doubt about that, but once the honeymoon period passed what had actually improved under him? Certainly not any of our players, our defending, or our attacking.

All sorts of problems at the club that would hamper any manager, but personally, putting aside any sentiment about his individual likeableness, I’d have liked to see a few more signs he has a plan to fix this before he got a new contract. Right now he still seems more a cheap/available option than a best man for the job option. 
  • Options
    Seems a lovely fella, no doubt about that, but once the honeymoon period passed what had actually improved under him? Certainly not any of our players, our defending, or our attacking.

All sorts of problems at the club that would hamper any manager, but personally, putting aside any sentiment about his individual likeableness, I’d have liked to see a few more signs he has a plan to fix this before he got a new contract. Right now he still seems more a cheap/available option than a best man for the job option. 
    Fair points but realistically just how much improvement is it possible to get? This is a midtable team full of midtable players, and will almost certainly end up in midtable.

Guardiola or Ferguson couldn't get promotion with this lot.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Fair points but realistically just how much improvement is it possible to get? This is a midtable team full of midtable players, and will almost certainly end up in midtable.

Any team of professional players should be much better at the basics than we are. Team shape, defending set pieces, denying the opposition space. If I was seeing progress on those fundamentals then I’d be happier. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Any team of professional players should be much better at the basics than we are. Team shape, defending set pieces, denying the opposition space. If I was seeing progress on those fundamentals then I’d be happier. 
    Doesn't this comeback, again, to recruitment?  

We have got quite a few players that are, by league 1 standards, outrageously talented which is the main reason they are professional footballers.  The reason they are league 1 players is because they can't/won't do the things you suggest.  

They are also wildly inconsistent and we have far, far too many of them.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:

Doesn't this comeback, again, to recruitment?  

We have got quite a few players that are, by league 1 standards, outrageously talented which is the main reason they are professional footballers.  The reason they are league 1 players is because they can't/won't do the things you suggest.  

They are also wildly inconsistent and we have far, far too many of them.
    Yes, of course that is part of it. But any manager who gets promoted from League 1, at any club, is going to have to do it with a large contingent of “League One players”. Successful managers will be able to coach the talented ones to do more of the dirty stuff and the less talented ones to play above themselves. 

I’m not saying it’s easy or Holden is a poor manager. No one will get us promoted with this squad. No one. But, also, poor players haven’t been the only reason we’ve become quagmired in this division.

If I could see a little bit of improvement in one or two players, or if our defensive shape had improved a bit, just some glimmer of a plan and hope that things might eventually improve if Holden is backed, I’d be more hopeful. 

Overall the certainty of knowing he’s tied to the club is probably better than the uncertainty of the short term deal, I just can’t get excited about the news. It all feels a bit like when Phil Parkinson went from caretaker to permanent manager. 
  • Options
    Great news. Last thing we need is another change of manager. A change of ownership is what we need. A decent owner that is what we need. TS I think has been worse than Roland. Hope that something happens in the summer. We deserve so much better.