Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    I like him, but I do find it a bit mad that he's got a long term deal off the back of 5 games without a win

I'm finding it very hard to still like him tbh. Let's hope he has a plan for next year and can actually deliver on it.
  • Options
    Parkinson version 2.0.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Croydon said:
    I like him, but I do find it a bit mad that he's got a long term deal off the back of 5 games without a win

I'm finding it very hard to still like him tbh. Let's hope he has a plan for next year and can actually deliver on it.
    He needs support in the transfer window. If he doesn't get it, then he is hamstrung.
  • Options
    Seems like a top bloke, but maybe not really that good. As a fanbase I think the Roland era has inured us to mediocrity
  • Options
    A poor team performance today, which doesn't reflect well on Holden. Yes we have a poor side and squad, but we were outplayed by Accrington, a team built on a tiny tiny budget. 
  • Options
    Seems mad to award him a three year contact.
  • Options
    Fuck.

Just seen this.

League 2 here we come.
  • Options
    A poor team performance today, which doesn't reflect well on Holden. Yes we have a poor side and squad, but we were outplayed by Accrington, a team built on a tiny tiny budget. 
    We have 2 of the best wingers/wide men in the league but they dont create anything. 

Garner's tactics was to have the midfield help score the goals but that was flawed from the start as our midfield couldn't score in a brothel. Fraser got a couple & Payne too (but mostly in the cup) but Morgan, Dobson, Kilkenny, Kirk, Gilbey.......Nada.

Then Holden comes along and we get worse. 1 goal in 5 games and he gets a 3 year contract. 

Unreal. 
  • Options
    I said back on the 21 of Feb in hear that the club should wait to end of tge season before deciding on whether to offer Holden a contract. So I think tgiving him a contract to 2026 is premature.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    On some level it's nice to think we have a manager pinned down long term, but Im not convinced he was ever the best option, even with our limited scope to entice potential managers. He won't be supported with a proper transfer budget in the summer and any business will be limited to league two rejects and freebies/loans. So we go again with a mediocre squad, and as a result Holden will go on a bad run of results at some point next season and get sacked, and groundhog day resets. 

Id be delighted to be proved wrong but this cycle has happened every time since Bowyer left, and theres no evidence that will change this time, unless something very positive happens in terms of our ownership. 

I have a feeling Holden's agent knows this, their thinking being "well if the owner doesn't support you, and you end up getting sacked, we still get paid so what the hell.....". His reputation won't take much of a hit as he can always blame the regime for any failings he had here.

Nothing against Holden as a bloke, he seems like a genuine decent guy and I hope things get better for him, but you're really set up to fail as a manager at Charlton under the current ownership regime. More and more it seems like a miracle what Bow achieved here in 18-19.

It could be different story for Holden should the club come under the ownership of someone willing to spend to build a strong squad, but what's the likelihood of that right now?
  • Options
    Where’s the full story on the OS? Still no comment from TS? 
  • Options
    I was very disappointed that his behaviour led to a yellow card today. It looked like it was over a nothing incident and was a bad example.
    If it is supposed to be about the man showing passion he'd be better off doing it by winning games.
  • Options
    killerandflash said:
    Who is the big guy in the jumper, to the left?
    He was in the Woolwich footage.

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    Of course he needs certainty......he was brought in my the mob who've been kicked into touch by TS. Very strange goings on if you ask me. 
  • Options
    Charlton fans - give Holden a contract asap before another club signs him up.
    Holden signs so Charlton fans say - why have we given him a contract, it's too soon, he's proved nothing blah blah blah.
    Only the people that actually believed any other club wanted him. His agent was working overtime the past few months. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Parkinson version 2.0.
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    killerandflash said:
    Who is the big guy in the jumper, to the left?
    He was in the Woolwich footage.

Could be a sponsor, every time I have sponsored a match me and my guests sat roughly where he is
  • Options
    Charlton fans - give Holden a contract asap before another club signs him up.
    Holden signs so Charlton fans say - why have we given him a contract, it's too soon, he's proved nothing blah blah blah.
    It's not necessarily the same Charlton fans saying those two things though.
    Agreed, but we're hardly inundated  with supportive comments.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    People are more likely to post when they're feeling negative about something aren't they?
    I'd reckon it's probably 50/50 pro/con (for those who have made their mind up). Needs a poll perhaps.
    I like his manner, but have no idea if he's any good as a manager. Based on the last five performances (two draws, three defeats) he might not be, but when we won five out of seven he seemed ok. Left Manchester feeling quite positive about him.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    People are more likely to post when they're feeling negative about something aren't they?
    I'd reckon it's probably 50/50 pro/con. Needs a poll perhaps.
    I like his manner, but have no idea if he's any good as a manager. Based on the last five performances (two draws, three defeats) he might not be, but when we won five out of seven he seemed ok. Left Manchester feeling quite positive about him.
    You forgot 'undecided'. There's no point judging a manager properly until next season, as long as we stay up. We've changed managers/styles too many times recently and the common denominator is the players. Happy to give the guy a chance and decide then. 
  • Options
    Meh. 

I'll give him another year but can't say what I've seen on the pitch has been good. 

The constant 'he gets us' while we lose to Accrington, Cambridge and Morecambe will be tiresome. 

Don't give up your day Job.

• Options
    He gets us. 
  • Options
    Meh. 

I'll give him another year but can't say what I've seen on the pitch has been good. 

The constant 'he gets us' while we lose to Accrington, Cambridge and Morecambe will be tiresome. 

Don't give up your day Job.

Celebrating 1 decent performance since January, weird. 

Looking forward to Holden getting a decent chance at a full season next year. Hopefully he's backed in the summer. 
  • Options
    He gets us. 
    What does he get that other managers didn’t?