Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Christmas came early for Holden when he was given the job.
    However, despite my reservations he has deserved a new contract and needs to be given a chance to bring in his own players and see what he is made of.
    A major problem for Holden may be the drawn out affair of the takeover and so may have severe limitations on who he can bring in.
    As a guy he seems on the level and I cannot see a problem going into the boozer after the game whilst he seems to have the fans on his side.  Perhaps he can learn a few things and get some new ideas.
  • Options
    The players will know more than me but he just seems the sort of manager you run through brick walls for.

He does seem to be a peoples person, hopefully he comes across well to the players and this will be reflected in performances on the pitch.
  • Options
    Four euros for a toastie?!?! You’re joking ain’t yer?
  • Options
    The players will know more than me but he just seems the sort of manager you run through brick walls for.
    Thats 99% of what being a good manager is isn't it? Inspiring your players to do their best.
  • Options
    Please don’t encourage Chuks to run at a brick wall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    “We are better equipped to match up when there is a need to scrap and fight” than last year !!! That’s great when you look at how many points we dropped against teams we should beat everytime just because they wanted it more last season.

we are very lucky to have this bloke hopefully we manage to keep hold of him
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    Has he joined Montserrat yet?
  • Options
    Seems to be a strong favourite for Bradford.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Poor Bradford, like us they deserve a lot better.

He won't get them promoted, happy to be wrong as he's a nice enough bloke but I don't see him having an established career as a manager. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:

He won't get them promoted, happy to be wrong as he's a nice enough bloke but I don't see him having an established career as a manager. 
    I think he could do well as an assistant.
    If he was appointed at Bradford I cannot see their fans being too happy.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I think he could do well as an assistant.
    If he was appointed at Bradford I cannot see their fans being too happy.
    Yeah I think as a general coach he could be an asset as he's a good character and an ex footballer with a fair bit of experience. Head coach/manager, no chance.

Real shame to see Bradford down there, been in league 2 far too long and have cracking home support
  • Options
    https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/dean-holden-bristol-city-stoke-city-charlton/

Very interesting read. Fraser best 10 in the league though... 
  • Options
    https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/dean-holden-bristol-city-stoke-city-charlton/

Very interesting read. Fraser best 10 in the league though... 
    He is one of the better midfielders in the division but you have to play a 3 man midfield to see it. Unfortunately Appleton keeps playing him back next to Dobson so he keeps playing shit 
  • Options
    Fraser is above average technically, has a good touch on his left side, passes well with good pass weight but lacks a little variation of use of foot, he’s very inside the boot only which limits his flow. 
    A big problem for Fraser, he doesn’t scan before reception at all well enough. Because of that he gets caught out and takes an age on the ball scrambling for an outlet, space or to avoid contact. 
    When he has a picture ahead of his action he moves the ball accurately and quickly.
    out of possession he’s a disaster, a lot of runs are to get in to an area rather than win the ball. He lets runners go most of the time it’s a huge issue for us in midfield, but then so does Louis, Chem and Dobbo. Difference with Dobbo is he does it to stop something else, Fraser just can’t be arsed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fraser is above average technically, has a good touch on his left side, passes well with good pass weight but lacks a little variation of use of foot, he’s very inside the boot only which limits his flow. 
    A big problem for Fraser, he doesn’t scan before reception at all well enough. Because of that he gets caught out and takes an age on the ball scrambling for an outlet, space or to avoid contact. 
    When he has a picture ahead of his action he moves the ball accurately and quickly.
    out of possession he’s a disaster, a lot of runs are to get in to an area rather than win the ball. He lets runners go most of the time it’s a huge issue for us in midfield, but then so does Louis, Chem and Dobbo. Difference with Dobbo is he does it to stop something else, Fraser just can’t be arsed. 
    Agree with a lot of these points, but actually think defensively and getting back he has been sound of late, in fact I think the issue is the position he is playing at the moment, he is playing to deep! He needs more of a free role, but since May has been given that role, he has to play deeper. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Agree with a lot of these points, but actually think defensively and getting back he has been sound of late, in fact I think the issue is the position he is playing at the moment, he is playing to deep! He needs more of a free role, but since May has been given that role, he has to play deeper. 
    May played up front and then on the right on Saturday, but Fraser was still back next to Dobson as Chem was given the 10 role. 

We should switch to 3-5-2 and then we’d be able play Fraser and May where they are best, shame our start to the season was so poor as this was Holden’s plan all along but he never had the players to do it 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Agree with you that he’s playing too deep. He’s not a conductor or a disruptor. I also think when he plays in the 10 he causes the same issue as well. 
    Watch Sercombe for Cheltenham’s first goal. Also against Reading, he’s goal side and ball side of Lewis Wing, ends up with wing in his blindside in 15 yards of space and leaving. Edun 1 v 2. Thankfully he didn’t score. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Agree with you that he’s playing too deep. He’s not a conductor or a disruptor. I also think when he plays in the 10 he causes the same issue as well. 
    Watch Sercombe for Cheltenham’s first goal. Also against Reading, he’s goal side and ball side of Lewis Wing, ends up with wing in his blindside in 15 yards of space and leaving. Edun 1 v 2. Thankfully he didn’t score. 
    I don’t think he’s a 10, I think you have to play a midfield 3 with him on the left for him to be a top player at this level. If he’s not in that exact set up he is exposed. Thats why he was good for Garner and Holden as both played 4-3-3 mostly last season. 

Appletons 4-2-3-1 doesn’t suit him, he’d be better in the 10 than where he is playing at the moment but I still don’t think he’d be amazing 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I don’t think he’s a 10, I think you have to play a midfield 3 with him on the left for him to be a top player at this level. If he’s not in that exact set up he is exposed. Thats why he was good for Garner and Holden as both played 4-3-3 mostly last season. 

Appletons 4-2-3-1 doesn’t suit him, he’d be better in the 10 than where he is playing at the moment but I still don’t think he’d be amazing 
    Good point. Also highlights our problem. Having a CM, that needs to play in such a small window to maximise performance. We need more than that. 
    E.G. Alfie, CF, 10, RW he’s going to get about it. Dobbo I’m confident you can play anywhere in midfield and he’d get about it. It’s a mentality and character trait rather than ability. 
  • Options
    Problem with Holden describing Fraser as the best 10 in the league is that he never played him there!
  • Options

I’m sure the money is great but honestly surprised at Holden for taking this. Thought he was a better character 
  • Options
    Honestly shocked by that
  • Options
    Isn't there rumours of Saudi not paying the promised wages hence Henderson leaving 
  • Options
    Isn't there rumours of Saudi not paying the promised wages hence Henderson leaving 
    I read he left as his family didn’t like it there. I believe Henderson’s contract was to defer his wages to avoid paying tax, nothing to do with his club in Saudi Arabia not paying him.