Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Options
    Honestly at this point i've lost all track of who is or isn't a Charlton player now..

Think i'll just wait and check out the updated squad list thread in the morning 
    More sadly, I've given up caring.
  • Options
    No-one has mentioned fat ladies yet.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    so is that our first choice winger going to Gills and the Wigan one is our 2nd or 6th choice winger?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:
    There's some states on here bloody hell! You'd have thought we'd have sold De Bruyne and Haaland. 
    I really hate comments like this.

The concern is obviously not about offloading the likes of Kirk and Lavelle on loan. It’s about the Machiavellian transfer manoeuvring.

This is not Robert Lee joining Newcastle when we’re in second spot in the league. 
    This is leaving us up shit creek without a paddle in the Third Division. The longer we accept this the more it’ll happen. 

A threadbare squad plugged with journeymen on short term deals and loans. We’re better than that, or we should be. 

If you think on top of that selling a player with a modicum of talent in EOC doesn’t cause anger and unrest then you’re a fool. 

Sorry I just can't agree. If we were in real danger of going down or in the top 10, I'd agree. "Plugging the squad with journeymen" will make no difference to the future of this club. 
    Seriously, read your last sentence back again.
    If you think signing other clubs’ players on loan and picking up journeymen on short terms deals won’t have a detrimental effect on the future on the club, then you don’t understand how a successful club should be run.
    I think you need to read what you have yourself written - "short term deals"
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    One that's been confirmed...i'm off to bed, will catch up with all the excitement in the morning.😴...can't wait...🙏
    You can't go to bed already. We've not even signed Leko yet.

be a eye opener in the morning.. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    No striker is happening. No-one is gonna come in and agree to be fourth choice for a team that plays one up front.

1st choice: Leaburn.

All other choices are shit, always injured or not quite ready for the first team.  

Peterborough signed. Decent prospect today to play understudy to Clarke Harris.

• Options
    No striker is happening. No-one is gonna come in and agree to be fourth choice for a team that plays one up front.
    If that was the case teams would only ever have 2 strikers as no-one would join them knowing that they weren't first choice.

I despair. 
    Who is the best 4th choice striker you know then? For teams that play 1 up top obviously
  • Options

We don't exclusively play one up front though....Holden likes a 352 and has changed to two up towards the end of games.

We have Two strikers. Plus a cheat code sometimes. We're forcing ourselves to be wedded to playing a one striker formation.

Everyone EVERYONE agreed we were a forward short after the summer window, we're right back there again. (Possibly/ probably)
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Don't worry, Scotland's transfer window closes at midnight, so another hour to sell anyone there too 😀
    can we buy (sorry loan someone from a 2nd division or 3rd division up there)?
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    so is that our first choice winger going to Gills and the Wigan one is our 2nd or 6th choice winger?
    Behave, it was literally posted about 10 mins ago that we weren't in for him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bournesnr said:
    Got to feel sorry for DH in all this, doubt he’s had much input or he surely wouldn’t have left himself so thin at the back.
    Just my opinion, but he came in not as a successful applicant to a vacancy, but as part of a team brought in with clear short term objectives. He is a good orator who knows what to say to fans, but he’ll be fully onboard with all of this. 
    100%.
    There's been a few quotes from various managers or observers that this team has massively under achieved, not from what i've seen, they are simply not good enough. Whatever you think of the reasons for the clear out, it's not before time, just have a look at the defensive record. Our most consistent players have been Dobson, Sessegnon and Fraser, Saki has just return to form and Innis and Ness have laid their bodies on the line since Holden took over. We can all see Leaburn's potential and the kids coming through are going to be better than the people moved out of the club today, those players needed to go and I'm glad to see the back of them and hopefully Sandgaard. 
    So you don’t foresee any injuries or suspensions ?
    I do but I still think we can cope, there's nineteen games left, as much as I think the points could be gained to get to the playoffs, it's a long shot but if you have an opportunity to move certain players out, even on loan, take it. The squad is not in a good place with half a dozen players not involved in matchdays and we have enough to cope.  
    Oh come on Thomas are you serious ?
    Have you worked out the difference between left and right yet ?
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Bournesnr said:
    Got to feel sorry for DH in all this, doubt he’s had much input or he surely wouldn’t have left himself so thin at the back.
    Just my opinion, but he came in not as a successful applicant to a vacancy, but as part of a team brought in with clear short term objectives. He is a good orator who knows what to say to fans, but he’ll be fully onboard with all of this. 
    100%.
    There's been a few quotes from various managers or observers that this team has massively under achieved, not from what i've seen, they are simply not good enough. Whatever you think of the reasons for the clear out, it's not before time, just have a look at the defensive record. Our most consistent players have been Dobson, Sessegnon and Fraser, Saki has just return to form and Innis and Ness have laid their bodies on the line since Holden took over. We can all see Leaburn's potential and the kids coming through are going to be better than the people moved out of the club today, those players needed to go and I'm glad to see the back of them and hopefully Sandgaard. 
    So you don’t foresee any injuries or suspensions ?
    I do but I still think we can cope, there's nineteen games left, as much as I think the points could be gained to get to the playoffs, it's a long shot but if you have an opportunity to move certain players out, even on loan, take it. The squad is not in a good place with half a dozen players not involved in matchdays and we have enough to cope.  
    Oh come on Thomas are you serious ?
    Have you worked out the difference between left and right yet ?
    Ask Innis
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:
    There's some states on here bloody hell! You'd have thought we'd have sold De Bruyne and Haaland. 

The concern is obviously not about offloading the likes of Kirk and Lavelle on loan. It’s about the Machiavellian transfer manoeuvring.

This is not Robert Lee joining Newcastle when we’re in second spot in the league. 
    This is leaving us up shit creek without a paddle in the Third Division. The longer we accept this the more it’ll happen. 

A threadbare squad plugged with journeymen on short term deals and loans. We’re better than that, or we should be. 

If you think on top of that selling a player with a modicum of talent in EOC doesn’t cause anger and unrest then you’re a fool. 

Sorry I just can't agree. If we were in real danger of going down or in the top 10, I'd agree. "Plugging the squad with journeymen" will make no difference to the future of this club. 
    If you think signing other clubs’ players on loan and picking up journeymen on short terms deals won’t have a detrimental effect on the future on the club, then you don’t understand how a successful club should be run.
    Yep short term. So won’t be here in the summer. So we have to start all over again. And possibly with a new manager. 

See where this is going? Keep up. 

But you don’t think short termism damages the long term aspirations of a football club?

Righto. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Fourth choice? Lol.
    If that was the case teams would only ever have 2 strikers as no-one would join them knowing that they weren't first choice.

I despair. 
    Not trying to make excuses because I don't rate the approach here either but those are the facts of the situation. We're up the creek without a paddle until the club has proper ownership in place.

When you expect nothing, you can't be disappointed.
  • Options
    Sorry. . . But . . WTF is happening
  • Options
    No-one has mentioned fat ladies yet.
    Could be the answer to our lack of cover at CB?

• Options
    jbaker said:
    Sorry. . . But . . WTF is happening
    I thought you were ITK ? :smile:

• Options
    45 mins and counting Where's the striker? Where's the supposed Edwards deal?
    What striker?

Why are you so convinced we are signing a striker

People go on about needed a striker but in reality only 5 teams have scored more than us this season, and logically we play 1 upfront, Bonne/Leaburn rotate and Aneke as reserve when fit then we have Kanu who can play their if needed as well.

Im more concerned that we have lost CBs and conceding is where we have been having issues
    You not heard of injuries ?  loss of form ? suspensions ?

Cast your mind back just 12 months when the transfer window shut without us getting back up for our strikers & then Washington AND Stockley both got injured & we were playing Burstow & Kanu upfront.

But of course, that can't happen again. 
    Your moaning we are signing a 30 year old winger because he isn't one for the future

Your moaning we are not signing a striker to be 4th choice in case we get injuries

Instead of moaning tell us who you think we could get

But remember based on your guidelines 

They have to be 

A striker
    Good enough to play
    Young that we can sell on

But also remember this

They have to be willing to be backup to Bonne/leaburn

They have to be willing to accept this season is probably over

They have to accept we could be
    sold

They have to accept are managers contract is over in may and the new manager may not want him.

Sooooooo you got this magical name or you just gonna carry on moaning
    Probably say it is not his job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Holden has had nothing to do with these sales, no manager in his right mind would let seven players and replaced with four two of which are left backs 
    Holden said when he joined that the squad was too big and imbalanced. I think, assuming we get Edwards, we’re a cb light but other than that we look more balanced. 

It’s all slightly irrelevant as we’re not going up and we’re not going down. So signing anyone for longer than the rest of this season when the ownership is so uncertain seems pointless. 

And anyone telling me that it was worth keeping any of the players we’ve got rid  of bar O’Connell isn’t being honest with themselves.
    Holden’s contract is up at the end of the season and there are no guarantees that he will be here for next season. Why would you move out seven players, bring in four and leave yourself light in two. We have brought in another midfielder where we have more than enough, we now have two strikers and three CB’s a twenty year old, one who is an accident waiting to happen and the third hasn’t played football for a year. 
    With Innis reputation we wouldn’t’ be surprised if he got injured or sent in the not to far distant future then we have a 20 year old who playing at Torquay at the start of the season
    Because that's his agreed job. 
    I took a job once where the team of 40 were nearly all poor performers and I had to replace them with effective workers and reduce the headcount by 30%.
  • Options
    Is there even any chance we see Egbo this season? Seems like his injury is one that's more likely to be next season he's back. 
  • Options

Just 5 minutes until the window SLAMS shut! :anguished:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:

Yep short term. So won’t be here in the summer. So we have to start all over again. And possibly with a new manager. 

See where this is going? Keep up. 

But you don’t think that short termism  damages the long term aspirations of a football club?

Righto. 
    We started the season with Mac as one of our keepers, we now have AMB. That's an improvement. Stockley was contributing nothing, we've replaced him with Bonne, that's probably an improvement. Neither McGrandles or JFC contributed anything, Kilkenny is better on paper than both. Kirk has done nothing, I doubt Edwards will be worse. We've improved at full-back with the signings of Kane and Penney. 

Are you honestly telling me you wanted Mac, Stockley, Kirk, Lavelle, Thomas or JFC as part of a promotion winning squad next season. Can you remind me where those players have gone/are going? Chelsea are buying everyone with a pulse but I don't remember them bidding for any of them? 

O'Connell is the only loss and even he can't get in the team at the minute. He is our best CB on the ball but our reliance on this isn't what it was under Garner. 

I take your point about another rebuild in the summer but this was always going to be the case if Sandgaard was our owner anyway. I repeat what I said earlier, this window will not determine the future of the club. Getting rid of Sandgaard is what's important. Bodging the squad won't relegate or promote us, which is exactly the case as it was a few weeks ago. 
  • Options
    Lavelle is a loan, what a shambles really. Why on earth can we not just sell Kirk and lavelle ? 
    Do you presume we had clubs wanting to buy them, but we said no? 
  • Options
    So Innis and Ness left. What happens when Innis is next suspended or injured? Clare at CB? Where’s Elewere? 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Is there even any chance we see Egbo this season? Seems like his injury is one that's more likely to be next season he's back. 
    Never see him again…Gone to Burton