Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton TV and it's part in the poor attendances

13»

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    On the other hand, I stopped going to away games many  years ago but never miss a home one, season ticket holder.. And I now pay a tenner to watch all the away games via VPN. So the club is doing better out of me than they would have done to the tune of around £250 per year.
    Except they don’t get a tenner, as above.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:
    before we can say if Charlton tv is having any effect, we need to know the viewing figures of local home based fans. Including those using illicit means to accesses it, as home games are supposed to be streamed to overseas only, except for this December due to the world cup.
    I think the crowd numbers are the true representation of what might be called the core support of Charlton athletic. As a club I have felt that our support is lower than many people wish to admit and getting smaller with the demographic changes of London.
    Most people watching the stream will be in the UK regardless of whether it is supposed to available here. The club knows that in general and doesn’t care. 

I don’t think you can have core support below the number of season ticket holders. All crowds are the product of a variety of circumstances at the time - we pretty much know we can get 10,000 home fans in L1, 15,000 in the Championship, both in average circumstances, and 20,000 plus for any opposition in the PL. 

The numbers are depressed by where we are on and off the pitch but they will respond if things improve - or get worse. I don’t think it has anything to do with demographic change tbh, unless you want to go back 50 years.
    On the demographic change then I believe you are wrong. 40.6% of London`s population were not born in the Uk and in the boroughs surrounding the Valley it will be higher. a large number of these people will have a team in the bith nation that they support because of family ties, the only English football they watched was that served up by the prems overseas sales of live games, so mainly the so called big six. They will have little or no knowledge of us.
    Because we’re in League One. I doubt if Bexley or Bromley have even the average number of overseas born residents, but in any event you’d expect such factors to be even more evident at Millwall, for example, given the demography. I don’t see much evidence of that. 

There is no shortage of people willing to support Charlton - the failure is the club’s.
  • Options
    Millwall may not be your best example. They are 9th in the Chsmpionship 2pts off a playoff place.
    But only have an average gate of 13800 and thst must include larger away support numbers than in league 1.
  • Options
    I've stopped going and I live literally 5 min walk from the ground.

Poor team, prices too high, directionless club, lost all hope the club can turn it around in the short/medium term. Conscious there are those who will accuse me of being a fair weather fan but honestly there comes a point when you just have better things to do with your life than pay to watch drab football and support a hopeless cause.

I'm heading to the game tomorrow and going to a few decent away days but turning up to watch us play and possibly lose to Fleetwood/Morecambe at home feels a bit pathological

(No idea how almost all the decent looking away trips ended up scheduled for the second half of this season).
  • Options
    A prime example for me was the previous match. I have a ST, but decided I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of trying to get there and back, along with the fact that I have no confidence in this group of players, so I stayed at home and watched the stream. If it wasn't available to watch, I would have simply missed it. CATV had no sway in my decision not to attend.

• Options
    Success is the factor that increases crowds. If streaming or TV was an issue then the Premier League teams would have empty stadiums.
    We are currently worse than shite  improve that and the tickets will sell. Simple this football malarkey...
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2022
    I have watched a couple of games via the Charlton TV stream. I wouldn't have gone if the stream wasn't available - and just followed via Charlton life and the radio / TV.

Not attending is down to a mixture of general dissatisfaction of the way Sandgaard is 'running' the club and the terrible results that follow from that. There is no unity in the club, decent knowledgeable Charlton staff are fired and there is a lack of (clearheaded and sensible) investment and delusional management.  I also have a lot of work on and don't have a lot of time. If the football is terrible and the experience dispirting that makes it doubly encouraging to concentrate on the work that I need to be doing.

Charlton TV impacting attendances is a bit of a red herring. The Stream keeps many supporters connected at a dire time for the club. For football supporters, the most important thing about going / not going is the quality of the football. The quality of the football (from both teams) is mostly dire. Football quality picks up alongside coherent running of the club and attendances will improve.   
  • Options
    Living in Spain. it's great - I ve seen more Charlton matches than I had previously in decades. Shame it's so bad. I personally think that overall sensations from the club (poor football, constantly changing managers with no real improvements, and the sensation that we are buying players nobody else would take on a free transfer)plus the lack of atmousphere, is also driving people away, and once they find other stuff to do on a saturday, getting them back will be a real problem. Are there people who are now staying away ti watch on the box. Yes - people on here have said often that trekking three hours to the valley on a wet tuesday when a defeat and a poor performance look probable becomes a good one to avoid when for a tenner you can sit on the sofa and watch, and be in bed before midnight is a really tempting offer. But if we turned in the sort of exciting football we've hinted out this season, and started winning regularly, who would want to be sat at home with the other half telling you to stop shouting at the telly when you could be at the Valley cheering with 12,000 other happy Addicks. The genie won't go back in the bottle, but the mismanagement of the football for years is why we are so poorly attended.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    On the other hand, I stopped going to away games many  years ago but never miss a home one, season ticket holder.. And I now pay a tenner to watch all the away games via VPN. So the club is doing better out of me than they would have done to the tune of around £250 per year.
    Can't see what you are referring to but whatever they get is better than nothing.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    cafcsinger said:
    Personally i think Charlton TV should just be for people abroad. We should be trying to get as many fans to the Valley as possible. 

What about disabled fans living 3 or 4 hours away from The Valley so can't attend. Should be an exemption from the EFL for them to buy the stream.

How did they watch before streaming ?
    They didn't but why would you go back to using an outside toilet because that's what you did before? 
    It doesnt bother me, but people are saying ban the stream, except for this group, that group etc. Either ban it, or dont.
    Don't think anyone is saying ban the streams, but there has to be a better way to try and encourage local fans to get up and go to games rather than stream it. Maybe there is a price point where people will go rather than stay at home. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Can't see what you are referring to but whatever they get is better than nothing.
    Scroll back and it's less than a fiver