Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports personality of the year 2022

A shortlist of six contenders has been announced for the 2022 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

The nominees are gymnast Jessica Gadirova, footballer Beth Mead, curling's Eve Muirhead, cricketer Ben Stokes, snooker player Ronnie O'Sullivan and athlete Jake Wightman.

Voting will be open during the show on BBC One on Wednesday, 21 December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/63887059

Comments

• Options
    Would quite like to see Eve Muirhead winning it, after finally getting that Gold Medal.

Can see it going to Beth Mead
  • Options
    Would quite like to see Eve Muirhead winning it, after finally getting that Gold Medal.

lol 1/33 on, definitely going to Beth Mead, personally a bit of bias how Ronnie hasn't won it to date and won the worlds this year , has done everything in the game, not sure what he can do to win it. 
  • Options

lol 1/33 on, definitely going to Beth Mead, personally a bit of bias how Ronnie hasn't won it to date and won the worlds this year , has done everything in the game, not sure what he can do to win it. 
    Stop moaning about how much he hates snooker,  venues, the next generationof players?! But, he has deserved it given how clearly he's been the best player for years.
  • Options

Ryan Giggs is from memory the only person in recent years to have won the award for his career, rather than having a great year
  • Options
    Mead or Stokes I’d say
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Would love to see Stokes win it again , T20 World Cup winner to add to the ODI World Cup and a key part of this exciting new era of test cricket. Probably if he was coming off an Ashes win he'd win it. 

However I don't think he stands a chance against Mead. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    redman said:
    Got to be Stokes hasn't it. Completely turned English cricket around almost single handedly. Including a 3-0 series win in Pakistan, our first series win ever. O a world cup win in T20 in which he played a major part. 
    Should be but won't. Placing a £10 bet on Mead on Betfair will win you 60 pence but the same amount, on Stokes, the second favourite, will clear you £160. That says it all.
  • Options
    Stokes and Baz Mccullum to take home SPOTY and coach of the year? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No hardest shot category?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

It's the BBC and a box ticking exercise.
    you do know it is a public vote ?

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Stokes and Baz Mccullum to take home SPOTY and coach of the year? 
    I assume Sarina Wiegman will get the coach of the year award
  • Options
    Mead will easily win it, not even worth anyone else turning up.
  • Options
    Mead wasn't even our best player at the world cup. Complete joke. 
  • Options
    Mead statpadded against some shite teams. Against the only good teams England played (Germany and Spain) she vanished and had to be subbed. Absolutely ludicrous
  • Options
    (Torn between O'Sullivan and Stokes myself)
  • Options
    redman said:
    Leuth said:
    Mead statpadded against some shite teams. Against the only good teams England played (Germany and Spain) she vanished and had to be subbed. Absolutely ludicrous
    BBC...

• Options
    redman said:
    It wasn't even the world cup!
  • Options
    I would have liked to see Matt Fitzpatrick who won the US Open on the list. Of those included I would probably vote for Stokes but I doubt he will win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lionesses to get team, person and coach hat-trick. As the coach is Dutch, they could get the overseas, too. 
  • Options
    Lionesses to get team, person and coach hat-trick. As the coach is Dutch, they could get the overseas, too. 
    Lionel Messi got the overseas award.
  • Options
    Think that's what'll happen, and wouldn't argue against team of the year certainly, and there's no oustanding challenger for the main award, but I'd give coach of the year to McCullum. Basically reinvented test cricket. 
  • Options
    Stokes should walk it be he won't tick the boxes . It will be the woman's footballer i should imagine.  
  • Options
    England cricket's recent success might swing it for Ben Stokes - he even got the 3rd test finished early for a chance to fly back to UK in time...
    He can have it next year if we stuff the convicts in the Ashes

Beth Mead's been right off the radar since the Euros

For magnitude of achievement it ought to be Jessica Gadirova and there's a sizable gymanstics cohort out there - whether they'll vote in their masses tomorrow night remains to be seen.  She gets my vote

No doubting the achievements of the others but none of them are ever front page news, or back page leaders.

The bookies aren't often wrong but BM's short odds probably cos of lots of ante post bets after the Euros result and it ain't a big market is it?
  • Options
    Not sure. Stokes' record with bat and ball isn't great this year, arguably Bairstow would have made more of an impact, Brook in the latest series. Stokes also won it in 2019 (quite rightly). Not sure you can win SPOTY for a well-timed declaration. Which individual has ever won to 'tick the boxes', certainly since the public vote? 
  • Options
    Stokes should walk it be he won't tick the boxes . It will be the woman's footballer i should imagine.  
    which boxes are the great British Public so keen to tick in the public vote???
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Not sure. Stokes' record with bat and ball isn't great this year, arguably Bairstow would have made more of an impact, Brook in the latest series. Stokes also won it in 2019 (quite rightly). Not sure you can win SPOTY for a well-timed declaration. Which individual has ever won to 'tick the boxes', certainly since the public vote? 
    Cricket captaincy is unique amongst all team sports though, which has to be considered alongside his playing stats. Mike Brearley is a legend because of it, as he was a very average player. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    I think that's undermining his influence. He and McCullum have created a whole new attitude to Test cricket but success on the field has only been achieved by bringing the players on board and without fear of retribution should it go wrong for them as individuals in doing so. One could argue that it is Stokes' personality that has made that possible which is ironic because the award, despite its title, is never awarded for having that. What personality do Nigel Mansell or even Michael Owen for that matter have?