Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports personality of the year 2022

Comments

• Options
    There should be a Sportswomen and Sportsman of year.
  • Options
    Would quite like to see Eve Muirhead winning it, after finally getting that Gold Medal.

Can see it going to Beth Mead
    lol 1/33 on, definitely going to Beth Mead, personally a bit of bias how Ronnie hasn't won it to date and won the worlds this year , has done everything in the game, not sure what he can do to win it. 
    I tweeted this earlier I disagree with Ronnie winning it this year, the whole of snooker twittter is saying he should be why?

He won his 7th world title fair enough however its sports personality of the YEAR

Not sports personality of the career

This year he has won A world Championship not 7 just the one.

Give him the lifetime achievement award or something else but SPOTY for winning one title is a bit of a stretch

If any snooker player should have won it recently I would say Trump had a chance in 2020 when he won 5 or 6 ranking titles.

This is no Anti Ronnie bias btw I don't think Selby should get it for winning his 1st or his 4th or when he wins his 7th i don't think he should get it.

1 tournament doesn't deserve SPOTY IMO
  • Options
    There should be a Sportswomen of year.
    There is
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Not sure. Stokes' record with bat and ball isn't great this year, arguably Bairstow would have made more of an impact, Brook in the latest series. Stokes also won it in 2019 (quite rightly). Not sure you can win SPOTY for a well-timed declaration. Which individual has ever won to 'tick the boxes', certainly since the public vote? 
    I think that's undermining his influence. He and McCullum have created a whole new attitude to Test cricket but success on the field has only been achieved by bringing the players on board and without fear of retribution should it go wrong for them as individuals in doing so. One could argue that it is Stokes' personality that has made that possible which is ironic because the award, despite its title, is never awarded for having that. What personality do Nigel Mansell or even Michael Owen for that matter have?
    Can't argue with that on the personality front, he could win it every year on that. And he's certainly shown great attributes as skipper, but guessing he'll do that every year and probably needs an Ashes-winning knock to win it again. McCullum I agree with. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Got to be Stokes hasn't it. Completely turned English cricket around almost single handedly. Including a 3-0 series win in Pakistan, our first series win ever. O a world cup win in T20 in which he played a major part. 
    Absolutely- Ben Stokes for sure!
  • Options
    Would quite like to see Eve Muirhead winning it, after finally getting that Gold Medal.

lol 1/33 on, definitely going to Beth Mead, personally a bit of bias how Ronnie hasn't won it to date and won the worlds this year , has done everything in the game, not sure what he can do to win it. 
    I tweeted this earlier I disagree with Ronnie winning it this year, the whole of snooker twittter is saying he should be why?

He won his 7th world title fair enough however its sports personality of the YEAR

Give him the lifetime achievement award or something else but SPOTY for winning one title is a bit of a stretch

If any snooker player should have won it recently I would say Trump had a chance in 2020 when he won 5 or 6 ranking titles.

This is no Anti Ronnie bias btw I don't think Selby should get it for winning his 1st or his 4th or when he wins his 7th i don't think he should get it.

I am shocked/not shocked at your response Paulie :) I am sure if Selby won it you would change your views instantly. It's more the achievement at his age winning the world championship and went back to world no1. 

I agree Stokes has an equally good case, i don't really want to dismiss Beth Mead as she will no doubt deserve it. However based on those bookies i am very surpirsed its so one sided and often feel like Ronnie has been dismissed when he has had several years where he should be in contention for the top spot, i would also argue Phil Taylor, clearly it isn't what they are looking for or maybe as all other sports have a wider/larger audience? 

Going back to 1988 the last snooker person won it and that was Steve Davis, how Hendry or Ronnie haven't won it does surprise me, not just their stature within the game but also several years where they have won lots and the worlds and broke all sorts of records. 
  • Options

I am shocked/not shocked at your response Paulie :) I am sure if Selby won it you would change your views instantly. It's more the achievement at his age winning the world championship and went back to world no1. 

I agree Stokes has an equally good case, i don't really want to dismiss Beth Mead as she will no doubt deserve it. However based on those bookies i am very surpirsed its so one sided and often feel like Ronnie has been dismissed when he has had several years where he should be in contention for the top spot, i would also argue Phil Taylor, clearly it isn't what they are looking for or maybe as all other sports have a wider/larger audience? 

Going back to 1988 the last snooker person won it and that was Steve Davis, how Hendry or Ronnie haven't won it does surprise me, not just their stature within the game but also several years where they have won lots and the worlds and broke all sorts of records. 
    As I say come back to me when Selby win his 5th/6th/7th and record breaking 8th and i will say the exact same thing.

Its nothing to do with who it is its about what he has won 1 ranking tournament in a year is not enough to win spoty with the amount of snooker tournaments we have

As i said i think Judd had an opportunity in 2020 winning 5 ranking events but losing in the uk final and only making the world quarter didnt help if he won those 2 he would have had a great chance.

The age isnt shouldn't even come into it.

Ronnie was 46 when he won the worlds in football or tennis that might mean something but in snooker it means nothing Mark Williams just became the oldest player to make a 147 should he get spoty because of his age 🤣🤣

If you have natural talent like Ronnie and have no issues with eyesight then age isnt a factor as there is no issues until he has eyesight problems age wont matter
  • Options
    Pissed off that it's on Wednesday. 
  • Options
    Have to ask why? I like Wednesdays generally…..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just looking at the odds again:
    Beth Mead 1/10 
    Stokes 11/2
    Ronnie 40/1
    Muirhead 100/1

Based on this Mead is nailed on, however if its a public vote and voting is only open during the actual awards/event, it feels a bit too short? no? 

I just looked at the twitter followings:
    Stokes 1.1million
    Ronnie 550k
    Mead 115k 

would it not make sense to actually back Stokes and go against the bookie? the other thing i noted, the first market was actually win without Beth Mead and Stokes is 2/7 for that.

Interesting, not sure if its worth a dabble or not. is it going to be fixed? as its a public vote anything can happen in theory. 
  • Options
    Stokes for me 
  • Options
    just looking at the odds again:
    Beth Mead 1/10 
    Stokes 11/2
    Ronnie 40/1
    Muirhead 100/1

Based on this Mead is nailed on, however if its a public vote and voting is only open during the actual awards/event, it feels a bit too short? no? 

I just looked at the twitter followings:
    Stokes 1.1million
    Ronnie 550k
    Mead 115k 

would it not make sense to actually back Stokes and go against the bookie? the other thing i noted, the first market was actually win without Beth Mead and Stokes is 2/7 for that.

Interesting, not sure if its worth a dabble or not. is it going to be fixed? as its a public vote anything can happen in theory. 
    You can still get 7.8 on the Betfair Exchange on Stokes. I wouldn't put anyone off backing him but there are two things that bother me about doing so - the make up of those that actually can be bothered to vote / who they are likely to vote for and the split vote on the male options of Stokes and O'Sullivan  
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    It belongs on Sunday. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if, for example, they held the World Cup in the middle of winter... 

What?    
    Presumably the WC is why it's not on a Sunday. The WC could have drastically changed the voting.
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    It belongs on Sunday. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if, for example, they held the World Cup in the middle of winter... 

What?    
    Presumably the WC is why it's not on a Sunday. The WC could have drastically changed the voting.
    I assume that's why the shortlist wasn't issued until after the WC also
  • Options
    Matt Fitzpatrick. Wins the US Open. Oh but wait, BBC don’t do golf anymore and it was back in May. 
  • Options
    Matt Fitzpatrick. Wins the US Open. Oh but wait, BBC don’t do golf anymore and it was back in May. 
    It’s one tournament - would say McIlroy had a more impressive year. 
  • Options
    Ben Stokes
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I don’t disagree but it wasn’t the point I was making. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I don’t disagree but it wasn’t the point I was making. 
    They don’t do cricket but Stokes is there. 
  • Options
    Why has Kevin Sinfield not been nominated?
    That fella is a legend for how he has support his mate Rob Burrows.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Why has Kevin Sinfield not been nominated?
    That fella is a legend for how he has support his mate Rob Burrows.
    He should get a knighthood, a place in the Lords, made King and anything else they can give him.
  • Options
    Oh, ok.  Beep beep beep reversing.
  • Options
    He didn't know he was getting that, did he.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever given less of a fuck than Ben Stokes just did? 
  • Options
    George Dobson was farking robbed