Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden's press conferences

Comments

• Options
    Another manager that has a set formation and will shoehorn players into it no matter what. 

Suspect the only reason he's here is that he's cheap and won't speak up. 
  • Options
    Another manager that has a set formation and will shoehorn players into it no matter what. 

Perhaps he's mindful that Garner did and was sacked within a week of doing so.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Where's the Holden Press Conference caption competiton? 

1) Eeeh op that were reet shite!

• Options
    Where's the Holden Press Conference caption competiton? 

1) Eeeh op that were reet shite!

2) Reet banging that!
  • Options
    He sounds like Den Perry from Phoenix Nights. I keep expecting him to go, "Like I say, she has got a cock so you have been warned".
  • Options
    Dean Holden was sent off against us in the 2000 fa Cup qf loss at Bolton. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    ^^ In my favourites Ronnie's sketches ^^
    Better than fork handles?
  • Options
    I think k it’s about time we had a song for Dean….

Dean Holden, Woah,
    Dean Holden, Woah,
    He makes the players run,
    He hates the stripey Scum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    One on the managerial team - didn’t know that Scott Marshall had played for the Gunners in the George Graham era? Was speaking to a Pompey fan who was waiting for Scott to sign his football trading card from the early 90s - the bloke has a collection of thousands going back 40 years 😮. I was like, no, don’t think it can be the right Scott Marshall and then he showed me the card - yep, our very own. I learn something every day. 

Nothing to do with Dean Holden, but wasn’t worth its own thread and probably not of any interest to anybody other than me anyway 🤣🤣🤣

Is Scott Marshall the chap that came over from Swindon with Garner?.is he still with us then?
    Yes, he is still here, asst manager to DH.
  • Options
    You could have: 

#Hold on
    HOLD ON
    HOLD ON !
    The only way is up
    Charlton
    Now that Dean’s here#

• Options
    clive said:
    O'Connell is the good news... Like others have been saying, almost felt like he'd disappeared down a black hole.
  • Options
    Quite like him.

Anyone else think he's had a bit of work done?
  • Options
    Definitely some forehead botox if that's what you mean @carly burn
  • Options
    clive said:
    Comes over very well.  Seems very astute and intelligent.  A definite improvement on Garner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    i agree - seems like a genuine bloke who understands what makes supporters and players tick - i'm optimistic he could turn out to be a good un 
  • Options
    I hope Holden walks down the tunnel and goes and sits in the home dugout by mistake  :D
  • Options
    I hope Holden walks down the tunnel and goes and sits in the home dugout by mistake  :D
    Big Ron style
  • Options

Speak up about what. The ownership? 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    We have to be honest and this can still go either way. I have been impressed so far. The team he picked for Oxford was beaten before it it ran out on the pitch but he has quickly fixed that and you have to give him some leeway being new to the club and he has optimised what we have. I think when it comes to lower league managers, you have to give them a chance and then it is down to them. No way you can know from a job interview apart from their drive and personality, and they either sink or swim. I hope he swims and the early signs are promising.

Personally, I don't think JJ or Garner had been given a fair chance and I hope Holden gets that. Football at our level is all about chancing on the right manager and then supporting him and seeing where it goes. The previous two were not well supported IMO and I also hope this is not the case for Holden. His job is not to speak up but get the most from what he has got and it is the job of others to help him with that. Job interviews for managers at our level are IMO all about the egos of the interviewers. Some people you give them a chance and they look at what is wrong and try to positively affect it but in a situation like ours, taking the players with you is crucial because when things might be a bit toxic it is too easy to duck out and look elsewhere if you are a player. But the proof of the pudding is always in the eating.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Speak up about what. The ownership? 
    Was said after the Oxford game with that team selection. 

He's impressed me since but if it is a cost-cutting window and Holden stays quiet then I'll know why he was picked.