Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden's press conferences

Comments

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    What exactly is a manager meant to say? The truth was we didn’t get anything out of yesterday because we didn’t put our chances away!

I think you’ll find he is a parody of every manager who has ever managed in every league because they all say the same thing to the same questions asked.

You’re happy to hear it when we win and they’re mugs when we lose.
    It wasn’t a criticism, just frustrating that the interviewer clearly has bulk standard questions and rarely waiver from that, so to some extent his answers are predictable.

So maybe my beef is with the interviewer, not asking relevant questions like why we keep getting all these injuries season in season out. Of course he still may not give an answer that the fans want to hear or that the issue is being looked into?
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    What exactly is a manager meant to say? The truth was we didn’t get anything out of yesterday because we didn’t put our chances away!

I think you’ll find he is a parody of every manager who has ever managed in every league because they all say the same thing to the same questions asked.

You’re happy to hear it when we win and they’re mugs when we lose.
    It wasn’t a criticism, just frustrating that the interviewer clearly has bulk standard questions and rarely waiver from that, so to some extent his answers are predictable.

So maybe my beef is with the interviewer, not asking relevant questions like why we keep getting all these injuries season in season out. Of course he still may not give an answer that the fans want to hear or that the issue is being looked into?
    Managers will generally never answer questions that might lead to direct attacks on owners or individual players anyway. And if they do, it usually causes massive problems for them.
  • Options
    Why has no interviewer asked why we keep making these basic cock ups that often lead to a goal? I thought it was going to be ironed out this season, so far doesn’t seem to have been?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Why has no interviewer asked why we keep making these basic cock ups that often lead to a goal? I thought it was going to be ironed out this season, so far doesn’t seem to have been?
     Because this is League 1, and players are of this standard 
    I keep hearing this phrase.  However,  how many games did we play last season where an opponent gifted us a goal, I would suspect nowhere near as many as we do.  

Its how you deal with the ball in your last third of the pitch, most teams realise their skill set and are prepared to use common sense and clear the ball rather than take risks.  If you take the |Man city approach without the skill set then sure your going to come unstuck. 

• Options
    ross1 said:
    While that may be true, are they so limited that they can't even do the basics?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Because people accept that the players are human and sometimes make mistakes!
    Oh come on, this isn’t the odd hiccup, everyone has been mentioning this for at least the past 2 seasons. It’s a common occurrence.
    The past 2 seasons aren't his problem

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saturday wasn't a bad performance IMO. We are just a bit toothless.
    Ah, thanks for the reminder, Mutts.

Must add Steradent  to my shopping list. :)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oh come on, this isn’t the odd hiccup, everyone has been mentioning this for at least the past 2 seasons. It’s a common occurrence.

Stop being awkward  @Dazzler21, he could at least pass opinion on this and why, because we've already got the problem again this season and you and he know it!
  • Options
    Human error and 3rd tier football
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Plus the idea that nobody, Dean included, has been asked about the defensive errors over the last two years is laughable
    Well, you're in a prime position to do so.

Just out of interest, are you told you can only ask certain questions and not allowed to be critical or questioning  @LouisMend ?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stop being awkward  @Dazzler21, he could at least pass opinion on this and why, because we've already got the problem again this season and you and he know it!
    Yeah it's almost like we're playing in League 1.

Peterborough made errors, we just didn't capitalise. Camara's error was in what should have been a harmless location if all the players were switched on. The individual errors aren't the problem, that happens everywhere. The issue is how we react to errors, more often than not we become a rabbit in headlights. 
  • Options
    Not at all, that would be mad. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    ross1 said:
    I keep hearing this phrase.  However,  how many games did we play last season where an opponent gifted us a goal, I would suspect nowhere near as many as we do.  

Its how you deal with the ball in your last third of the pitch, most teams realise their skill set and are prepared to use common sense and clear the ball rather than take risks.  If you take the |Man city approach without the skill set then sure your going to come unstuck. 

I think if we went through every goal it would probably be pretty even given we were around a mid table side. We just view our goals and opponents goals from a different perspective. Clearly we aspire to be better and part of that is making fewer errors. 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Plus the idea that nobody, Dean included, has been asked about the defensive errors over the last two years is laughable

Just out of interest, are you told you can only ask certain questions and not allowed to be critical or questioning  @LouisMend ?
    Six days ago, on the official site

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/holden-bemoans-defensive-errors
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Nah Holden never comments on errors. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    So you wanted the interviewer to ask Holden why Camara mis-controlled the ball?
    I won't say what my reply would be to such a stupid question.
    Why are you being so literal? I was suggesting, as we all know this is a repeat cycle, not a one off and you know it  @Covered End

Holden was talking about it last season as well as this 'poor goals' to concede. He mentioned 'poor goals' at Newport. 

My understanding was that these issues were going to be worked on and hopefully minimised.

I'm just asking is this something he's identified and working on and maybe for once, an interviewer can ask him.?

It's more stupid not to ask, surely that's what any good journalist would do, without necessarily singling anyone out.

Try not being so rude, its not necessary.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Why are you being so literal? I was suggesting, as we all know this is a repeat cycle, not a one off and you know it  @Covered End

Holden was talking about it last season as well as this 'poor goals' to concede. He mentioned 'poor goals' at Exeter. 

My understanding was that these issues were going to be worked on and hopefully minimised.

I'm just asking is this something he's identified and working on and maybe for once, an interviewer can ask him.?

It's more stupid not to ask, surely that's what any good journalist would do, without necessarily singling anyone out.

Poor goals at Exeter ? What are you talking about?
    Last season we won 1-2 at Exeter.
    See above, re the interviewer not asking him, this was discussed 6 days ago.
    Try thinking before posting.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    While that may be true, are they so limited that they can't even do the basics?
    They can do the basics and more.
    Their physical ability on the ball isn't really the problem here.

But maybe a momentary loss of concentration, lack of options and movement from team mates or even just a plain old human mistake?
    Sometimes they just slip over on a slippery surface. It happens.

It happens too often, granted. But it's in the head, perhaps it's their mentality that isn't consistantly strong enough?

• Options
    edited August 2023

Holden was talking about it last season as well as this 'poor goals' to concede. He mentioned 'poor goals' at Exeter. 

Meant Newport.

Well I don't spend all day on here like some of you, I clearly missed it.

What's the problem with you  @CoveredEnd, are you rude just for the sake of it?

If you don't like my comments or disagree fine but cut out spitefulness or get out of the right side of the bed and don't take your shite out on me.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Thanks  @Callumcafc
  • Options

• Options
    The thing about any football manager interview, is that it's not government ministers being forced to defend a government cockup on Newsnight or the Today programme. The "Paxman" follow up question will never be asked, whether on local radio, the MOTD or Sky, as you'd never get another interview again. This applies to any sports interview really, unless it's a really calamitous result, like the grilling Hodgson got after Iceland beating England.

"You must be disappointed with the goals we conceded today?"
    "Yes, our defending has got to be better. We can't keep making the same mistakes, but we'll keep working hard in training to eradicate them."
    "You said that two months ago. Doesn't that show that you and your coaching staff aren't good enough. Have you considered your position?"
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Meant Newport.

If you don't like my comments or disagree fine but cut out spitefulness or get out of the right side of the bed and don't take your shite out on me.
    Sorry Martin it's just frustrating that some posters, for the most part, add little of value and when they do post they post stuff that patently isn't true.
    Many people read it, it's just that I'm the one that said it.
  • Options

Meant Newport.

Sorry Martin it's just frustrating that some posters, for the most part, add little of value and when they do post they post stuff that patently isn't true.
    Many people read it, it's just that I'm the one that said it.
    Well you could probably say that about everyone to some extent on most of the threads that get read and visited the most.

Thanks for the apology, I agree it is frustrating  @CoveredEnd