Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Peterborough United | Boxing Day - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Peterborough United
Boxing Day - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Drysdale

Introduction
So we come to the festive and most exciting part of any fixture list; Christmas is meant to be a time spent with family, good food and the opening of presents that we've each been spoilt with - Any Football fan will tell you though, that the best part of this time of year, is the enjoyment of Football on Boxing Day... Charlton this year play hosts to Peterborough United who'll be travelling down to SE7 - The Addicks should go into this game with a positive mindset, victory over Brighton and Hove Albion on Wednesday may have been from the lottery of penalties, but for a League One side, its a victory none the less.

The Opposition
Name: Peterborough United (8th) | Manager: Grant McCann
Ground: London Road
Previous Fixture: Ipswich Town 2-1 Peterborough United

It is said in a corner of Cambridgeshire that there is a side who are so black and white (well they wear blue), so yin and yang, that they only know how to either win or lose - Its quite a feat for Peterborough that they've actually lost as many games this season as bottom side: Morecambe - The difference though is that Posh know where the goal is, only the top two have scored more, which is unsurprising given our opponents history at this level in recent years.

So the question on everyone's lips is how do you stop Jonsson Clarke-Harris? - He's no Marcus Rashford, but he is the current top scorer at this level with 12-goals this term, he's also a frustration of our own ESI days, as surely would have been a target for ourselves back in 2020-21 but for our off-field distractions - However I equally think that to stop the scorer, you need to think about stopping the source: Joe Ward is potentially that man, with five assists to his name, more than any from the Peterborough side.

Of course as mentioned, its highly unlikely that the game this Boxing Day will end as a draw; Peterborough have only record one of those this campaign, and find themselves three points off the Play-Offs as things stand (Ironically they'll only be four points ahead of the Addicks should they lose on Monday) - Posh do travel to SE7 with form at the Valley, its been a decade since the Addicks last won at home against this side, suffering one draw, and three defeats since. However our opponents do concede, and have only conceded three less than ourselves.

We really should fear no one... But ourselves!!

Charlton Teams News
This Boxing Day will of course be the first opportunity to witness a proper Dean Holden side... The new Manager was appointed prior to the Brighton victory, and whilst he put the side through their paces the day before that memorable win, it was still Anthony Hayes who picked the team and guided them through to a mouth watering tie in the League Cup Quarter-Finals.

What we did potentially see on Wednesday night was the organisation and energy, that we can perhaps expect to see from the Manager who spent two seasons as a player at London Road - One absence is likely to be Chuks Aneke, who was withdrawn against Brighton almost as quickly as he was introduced... Terrel Thomas though could return to contention, whilst there many be equal temptation to leave the starting eleven well alone.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Maynard-Brewer
Inniss - Lavelle - Ness
Clare - Dobson - Fraser - Sessegnon
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Payne

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Mitchell - Morgan - Forster-Caskey - Stockley - Blackett-Taylor - Kirk

Comments

• Options
    Charlton 5 Manchester City 0
    Charlton 4 Chelsea 2
    Charlton 0 Peterborough 1....
  • Options
    Surely not,
    Can we field 13 players from the start.
    Only if the referee is pissed.
  • Options
    Opps and 10 subs🤣
  • Options
    Has a feeling of ‘after the Lord Mayors show’
    Will the players be distracted by the big game on the horizon, hope not.
    New manager though, could we get a bounce, how about showing his intent by making Dobson captain, would get the fans onside.
  • Options
    Our Boxing Day fixtures (over quite a number of years), is nothing to write home about……..one has to say. 🫤
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Our Boxing Day fixtures (over quite a number of years), is nothing to write home about……..one has to say. 🫤
    2021 - Didnt play
    2020 - Drew 2-2 with Plymouth
    2019 - Won 3-2 over Bristol City (after being 1-2 down)
    2018 - Lost 2-1 @ Coventry
    2017 - Lost 3-1 @ Southend
    2016 - Won 1-0 @ Milton Keynes
    2015 - Drew 1-1 with Bristol City
    ---------
    2019 - Peterborough lost at home 0-3 to Doncaster
    2018 - Lost 2-0 @ Barnsley
    2017 - Won 1-3 @ Bradford City
    2016 - Drew 1-1 with Gillingham
    2015 - Won 2-0 over Chesterfield
  • Options
    It's Christmas. No more wild 0-9 predictions for me...

2-2  a Desmond, a fine first half showing in front of the new gaffer followed by two complete gifts in true "Charlton for Charidee" stylee.
  • Options
    Think Stockley will start and it will be 352 … still surprised this is kicking off at 3 pm on Boxing Day 
  • Options
    I agree that it will be a case of after the lord mayor's show and back to the reality of trying to keep clean sheet and scoring goals against a decent 3rd tier team. 0-1. Let's look forward to Man It'd. Hope I am horribly wrong.
  • Options
    Probably finish 0-0, and then they realise there is no penalty shootout at the end...😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need a win from this, otherwise I fear we'll be in the relegation zone after Portsmouth away.
  • Options
    Look at the ref appointment. 
    The fella is a nightmare - always wants to be the main talking point of the game. 
    Probably an early bath for Innis. 
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    We are still as dreadful as we were last week . 0-2
  • Options
    Posh, like us are in terrible league form after their usual bright start .. still a team to be respected if certainly not feared. They're good in attack
    The win v Brighton and the plum Red Devils draw will give us the sorely needed bounce, strut and confidence we urgently need in the League

Home win from an exciting and fluctuating Christmas Cracker 
    CAFC 3 v Peterborough United 2
  • Options
    Posh, like us are in terrible league form after their usual bright start .. still a team to be respected if certainly not feared. They're good in attack
    The win v Brighton and the plum Red Devils draw will give us the sorely needed bounce, strut and confidence we urgently need in the League

I wish our results matched your predictions mate :)
  • Options

I wish our results matched your predictions mate :)
    me too Eflsborginio .. have a great time 
  • Options
    No Chin? Why didn't Clare play on Weds? 
  • Options
    Horses for courses maybe?
  • Options
    Suspended
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    1-0 AET the addicks.

There is extra time isn't there @ForeverAddickted?

God knows, tbh, could go either way.  We will score and concede, so sit on the Fence 2-1 either way.
  • Options
    Horses for courses maybe?
    Harsh to drop Chin after his performance against Brighton, or indeed any who started.
  • Options
    A battling (for us anyway) 2-1 win!
  • Options
    Comfortable 3-1 win 
    despite all evidence to the contrary give recent league form
  • Options
    3-2 win. Keep the faith.
  • Options
    big game. they all are i guess but when watching the Brighton one I was not bothered either way if we won or lost. During that game i said this was the one we need to really focus on if we want to do anything positive with our season.

I trust us to balls it up.
  • Options
    Boxing Day can throw up strange results and for us to win would be very strange.But we are due a win, 1-0.
  • Options
    Always go Boxing Day. Home or away. So it’s a bit annoying that having moved this summer and I now live half an hour from Peterborough that this isn’t away at London Road instead.

Could well be a bit after the Lord Mayor about it but fingers crossed rather there’ll be a bunch of players fighting for a spot in the team at Old Trafford.
  • Options
    You have got to expect that the Brighton game will have given the boys a lot of confidence.
    And maybe that gameplan is the way to go, with us being the team that is hard to breakdown and looking to do our damage on the counter instead of the other way round as it so often is.
    I genuinely half expected Brighton to get near our record defeat but as ever "it's a funny old game".
    Now I'm going for a narrow victory, but it could just as easily be a case of after the Lord Mayor's Show.
    Been a fan for 60 years so what do I know!

• Options
    As much as Wednesday buoyed everyone, don’t forget how crap this lot can be.  Merry Christmas