Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Peterborough | Boxing Day 2022

Comments

• Options

• Options
    My summary of the first half is: 💤💤💤
  • Options
    HT 0-0 very frustrating first half, defence having to work hard because we can't keep the ball in midield, Ness and Maynard having a good game, we could do with  a change up top, Leaburn and Kanu getting outdone, very lightweight, not much available I know...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Great tactical foul from Lavelle on Ward, that the ref completely ignores. Was sensible from our player as Ness had dived into a tackle and taken himself out of the the Posh attack
  • Options
    Knitting anyone..?
  • Options
    AMB, Ness & Lavelle have been very good. The rest very so so. Distinct lack of pace for me 
  • Options
    Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans, what an utterly dreadful first half of football. Both teams look really poor. 
  • Options
    Want to see more from Fraser. He does a lovely line in body swerves to find space and time on the ball but rarely does anything come from it. This is the kind of match you really need your playmaker to grab by the scruff of the neck. Posh are there for the taking. First goal wins this one imo. 
    I can certainly see that argument. Though you could probably counter that he would be better served by more convincing options up front to play it to.
  • Options
    What a load of bollocks!  I've done the Quality Street...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a bad half. Peterborough look dangerous but lack a cutting edge. 
  • Options
    A pretty even half, that lacked any real quality, with Peterborough shading it for me.

We look decent in the transition when we get the ball into Payne or Fraser, but have nothing after that and it just breaks down. 
  • Options
    We are short everywhere. That can't change until January.  At the earliest!
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Definitely need more of a creative option after that half

Leaburn and Kanu are battling as best as possible, but they're both showing their inexperience - Dobson is breaking up play well, and Fraser is doing well to get us going, but still question Payne as a starter, as he seems the link between Midfield and Attack.

I mean Kanu just dropped deeper to get a ball, lays it off, with a pass eventually trying to find its way to Payne, but its cut out because Jack waits for the ball to reach him, rather than closing the gap.

Defensively we've not done badly... Inniss definitely isnt the Naby Sarr in this team, Lavelle has looked a lot more confident, whilst Ness is learning and improving.

The way Peterborough defend, I'm surprised they've not drawn more... Says a lot about us I guess
  • Options
    Well thats brought us back down to earth 
  • Options
    Knitting anyone..?
    Thinking of sitting around the guillotine cheering the aristos to their fate????

• Options
    You can see the problems in the team. We are effectively been carrying Kanu and Jack Payne doesn't affect the game but pops up here and there. Apart from two wayward passes by Innis and Ness which almost cost us, the back three has been ok. Maynard Brewer has affected the game more than any other Charlton player. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Mitchell's brother from Croydon, sent off
    Wrong Mitchell... I think ;)

Indeed. Zach's brother, Billy, played all 90 minutes in Millwall's 2-0 win at Watford. Shame we didn't get them both.
  • Options
    cant create anything with this formation. 
  • Options
    Great effort for the crossbar challenge...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Today's Crossbar Challenge effort would only have been a winner if the bar had been lowered by 8ft and moved over a couple of yards.

Sums up today's game.

Sums up this season.
  • Options
    And to top it off the worst crossbar challenge attempt I’ve ever seen 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Want to see more from Fraser. He does a lovely line in body swerves to find space and time on the ball but rarely does anything come from it. This is the kind of match you really need your playmaker to grab by the scruff of the neck. Posh are there for the taking. First goal wins this one imo. 
    I can certainly see that argument. Though you could probably counter that he would be better served by more convincing options up front to play it to.

Well it certainly doesn’t help but how many times as he played a good ball up to Leaburn and Kanu? They are both struggling to get into the game but I haven’t seen them being given much by our midfield  to work with either.

However, I’m happy to see us focused on getting back to basics and, to be honest, I’d take a clean sheet and a point to stop the rot.

• Options
    And it's getting colder
  • Options
    Boring game. Payne stepping on a pigeon probably the main action of the half 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    ross1 said:
    Mitchell's brother from Croydon, sent off
    Wrong Mitchell... I think ;)

Indeed. Zach's brother, Billy, played all 90 minutes in Millwall's 2-0 win at Watford. Shame we didn't get them both.
    Sorry, as you say, wrong Mitchell, wrong team, otherwise I was right  :s
  • Options
    Any mention of Colin Cameron at halftime?
  • Options
    Peterborough the better team but we’re showing some resolute defending for a change. Pitch looks heavy and neither side mastering the conditions 
  • Options
    Same old same old. Looks like Posh have an extra player on the field sometimes. Noticed how Peterborough’s forwards are ready to come back and nick the ball off our defenders as they try to play out, ours will close down the keeper and then give up once it is passed beyond them. 

Just feels like the big mistake we will make will lead to the winning goal, once again. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Great effort for the crossbar challenge...
    Clearly inspired by watching our first half performance in front of goal
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!