Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dobson named captain by Holden

edited December 2022 in General Charlton
https://www.charltonafc.com/news/george-dobson-take-over-captaincy

Manager Dean Holden has confirmed that George Dobson will now wear the captain’s armband.

Jayden Stockley has skippered the Addicks so far this season but the new gaffer explained at his pre-Oxford United press conference that midfielder Dobson will now be taking over the duty.

Holden said: “George is the new captain. I made that decision and spoke to Jayden prior to the game [against Peterborough United]. Obviously as a striker Jayden is essentially judged on scoring goals and creating goals, working hard for the team and being a brilliant teammate. He doesn’t necessarily need the armband for that. 

“For me it’s about him focusing on what he can bring to the team as a forward player, really concentrating on that and not having to worry too much about other things away from that. It’s as much of a release for Jayden as it is for Dobbo. 

“Dobbo’s a captain-type. He’s not going to perform any differently with the armband on his sleeve but for me he encompasses everything that a Charlton Athletic player is so that’s the reason.

“George is a player I worked with at Walsall a long time ago now,” added Holden. “I know exactly what he’s about as a character and as a person. He’s infectious, he’s 100 per cent in every training session, every game and that can’t be doubted at all. 

“There are a number of other players as well that could have taken the armband but I just felt that George was the right option.”

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully it means stockley is being shoved out the club this January, one can hope ! 
  • Options
    Great news 
  • Options
    Good news 
  • Options
    his first decision gets a big 'tick'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely the obvious choice.
  • Options
    Definitely the right decision. As obvious as it was, I'm glad that a new manager hasn't come in and dodged it for an easy ride.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Yeah noticed on Monday when Stockley came on George kept the armband,unlike the other times Stockley has came on & been given it by the stand in Captain

totally agree that Dobbo wears the band too
  • Options
    The right decision 
  • Options
    Fair play to Holden absolutely spot on 
  • Options
    You don't make someone Captain and sell them a week later, so he's staying till the summer at least
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I beleive that's the second time Stockley has lost the captaincy mid-season?

Adkins made him captain as well and then it shortly went to someone else. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    You don't make someone Captain and sell them a week later, so he's staying till the summer at least
    Unless there's a "captain premium" to be added to the sale price ...
  • Options
    I mean I totally agree with the decision, but it's a pretty savage thing to do. It's like coming in, demoting your 2nd in command, and promoting someone else in the team to take their place. It may be correct, but it's still a brutal thing to do midway through the season. Should be just as much a reflection on how Stockley is viewed, as putting down a marker for how important Dobson is considered to the team and club. 
    This.

Its one thing dropping him & playing Kanu in his place, but then taking the armband off him as well. Wow. As I said to my boy - says more about Stockley than it does Dobbo.

• Options
    I hope Stockley throws a tantrum about it like he does on the pitch every game and sods off. Not good enough to lead our attack anyway
  • Options
    I mean I totally agree with the decision, but it's a pretty savage thing to do. It's like coming in, demoting your 2nd in command, and promoting someone else in the team to take their place. It may be correct, but it's still a brutal thing to do midway through the season. Should be just as much a reflection on how Stockley is viewed, as putting down a marker for how important Dobson is considered to the team and club. 
    This.

Its one thing dropping him & playing Kanu in his place, but then taking the armband off him as well. Wow. As I said to my boy - says more about Stockley than it does Dobbo.

I get where you’re coming from, but I don’t think it does. 99.99% of Charlton fans think Dobbo should be captain. By far my favorite player at the club (and judging by this forum most would be of the same opinion) and I think that says a lot given that he is a DM
  • Options
    Great decision and love the tongue in cheek comment about Stockley not having to worry about other things and concentrating on his own game as a forward.
    I read that as stop moaning at everyone else and score some goals please 😆.
    Don’t think Stockley will like this decision, don’t really care if he does. Think George will be delighted and really deserves to lead the team out at Old Trafford.
  • Options
    There are two types of leader on a football pitch. One that constantly speaks to everyone, encourages, advises, mentors. The other leads by example. Dobson to me is the latter with the potential to add the former. Stockley in my opinion is neither. 

For those wondering why Henderson is a captain of England I don't think you could argue that he doesn't do both of the above things, and that's the best version a captain can be.