Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dobson named captain by Holden

Comments

• Options
     Jayden is essentially judged on scoring goals and creating goals, working hard for the team and being a brilliant teammate”

🤔
  • Options
    Strong paragraph that!
  • Options
    I wonder if this is at least partially Holden shaking things up in the mentality as well. If he is (currently) not guaranteed a long term job he's got little to lose by making big decisions like this. If it works his reputation is improved and his stock/negotiating potential rises. If it doesn't then he's out anyway so has lost very little.

It's very bold to make a big decision this quickly and to make a public point of it either way, certainly not something that you'd expect from the milquetoast chancer some were painting him as.
  • Options
    I think the decision is the right one and leaving Jayden on the bench coupled with this decision would suggest that the Manager is asking Jayden to prove him wrong. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    I wonder if this is at least partially Holden shaking things up in the mentality as well. If he is (currently) not guaranteed a long term job he's got little to lose by making big decisions like this. If it works his reputation is improved and his stock/negotiating potential rises. If it doesn't then he's out anyway so has lost very little.

It's very bold to make a big decision this quickly and to make a public point of it either way, certainly not something that you'd expect from the milquetoast chancer some were painting him as.
    Have a like for milquetoast, new to me
  • Options
    Also, remember the days TS would insist that he made these kind of announcements?!
  • Options
    Clearly this is the sensible choice. Hopefully Stockley can start to focus on doing his job of scoring goals.
    I’m not sure the captaincy has been the issue .
  • Options
    Good decision and I appreciate Holden being very clear on the reasoning, would have been easy to have come up with a wishy washy excuse. 
  • Options
    Best decision this season. 
    Tired of seeing Donkley masquerading as a footballer cum captain. Might be the kick up the arse he rightly needs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    thenewbie said:

Have a like for milquetoast, new to me
    New to me too, I thought it was some fancy breakfast.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dobson sort of skulks about hunched like a Tim Burton character. He's slightly weird and this is what gives him the edge for me. A very fine decision 
    It always baffles me that he's listed as being 6'1" because when he's on the pitch he runs about like an old codger in fast forward, and looks about 5'7" because of it!
  • Options
    Not only was it the right decision, it was a very bold decision. Holden strikes me as being a bit more of the traditional hard nosed manager than Garner, Adkins and JJ, without the psycho aspects of Bowyer. In our present circumstances I think he might be just the job.
    Weirdly, I think this is Holden's beat possible outcome. He's here as a firefighter. He's talked about being direct and on the front door, and about players recovering from possession football. Unless the club is shifting systems again, not impossible, I think he's here as a Sam Allardyce firefighter type. 
  • Options
    the right part of the decision was stripping Stockley of the captaincy. He's def up the road in January. I'm amazed he even gets a place on the subs bench. 
    The wrong part of the decision is giving Dobson the armband. He gives 100% yes, but so did/do endless other players. But a captain has to be more than that. He has to be the kind of man that can oversee what is needed.  Inspire every type of player. The really disagreeable ones. The pathetic whining ones. All of them. Like firing up those that are lagging. To that end I don't see Dobson as 'captain material'. Inniss, definitely. In time - O Connell or Lavelle. Forster-Caskey if he was regular or even Fraser …  

Imagine Dobson telling Inniss to pull his ****ing finger out and do a shift. Good luck with that. This appointment is pathetic. Robson, Keane, Viera, Adams, Shearer were captains for a reason. They were hard as nails and everyone knew where they stood with them. I don't think Anita quite does it. I do hope they have a rethink and give it to a man. 

Inniss? Good grief!

A captain cajoles, encourages and leads by example. If Inniss got the rest of the team to copy his example we would have lots of our matches abandoned as we would have too many players red carded.

Also, do you really think that he would have the tact to know when to put an arm around a player rather than just shout at him?
  • Options
    Surprised Holden didn't mention the 2 year extension Stockley's been offered to soften the blow.
  • Options
    Great decision, should never have a striker as skipper 
    He’s not a striker 
  • Options
    He’s not a striker 
  • Options
    Stockley out the door this January? 
    Why wait that long?

Only saying 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Not only was it the right decision, it was a very bold decision. Holden strikes me as being a bit more of the traditional hard nosed manager than Garner, Adkins and JJ, without the psycho aspects of Bowyer. In our present circumstances I think he might be just the job.
    Weirdly, I think this is Holden's beat possible outcome. He's here as a firefighter. He's talked about being direct and on the front door, and about players recovering from possession football. Unless the club is shifting systems again, not impossible, I think he's here as a Sam Allardyce firefighter type. 
    “Fireman Sam”!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Having watched the arm waving, post kicking and whining Stockley indulges in when people don't pass to him, better to give the captaincy to someone who behaves like a captain.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    He’s not a striker 

Jayden Stockley is a Striker:
    Despite his obvious short comings 
    for various reasons he is a non scoring striker at the moment. When Conor Washington played nearer to him under JJ in a two he scored some goals and looked liked a decent League 1 Striker.  Dobson is the obvious choice of Captain on the field and it took Dean Holden one game to realise that and also that Daniel Kanu should be involved in the 18 man squad. 

Miles Leaburn is progressing and the partnership with Kanu would continue to flourish if given a chance. Kanu needs to get games to gain experience after being a prolific goal scorer in Youth football.

I hope George Dobson can stay for the rest of this season as he has found a home where he is appreciated. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    He’s here to do what Jackson did last year , you mean . 
  • Options
    Good decision.  I've never made any secret of the fact that I don't like Stockley as a player (he seems like a good guy otherwise).  To be fair I’ve always also thought that we overrate Dobson simply because his is a standout in a trough of mediocrity or worse. But his application and leadership cannot be faulted. Not sure he’d cut it if we ever reached a higher level (yes I know, I know……) but he’ll sure do for now. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dobson sort of skulks about hunched like a Tim Burton character. He's slightly weird and this is what gives him the edge for me. A very fine decision 
    Holden:
    Maybe you could just - skulk around for a bit and then ..........
    Dobbo:
    Now, that's a thought. I don't usually skulk a lot; but, I suppose I could skulk if skulking were required. Do you skulk regularly?
    Holden:
    No. No, I don't normally - think of myself as a skulker but...
    Dobbo:
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    He’s not a striker 

Jayden Stockley is a Striker:
    Despite his obvious short comings 
    for various reasons he is a non scoring striker at the moment. When Conor Washington played nearer to him under JJ in a two he scored some goals and looked liked a decent League 1 Striker.  Dobson is the obvious choice of Captain on the field and it took Dean Holden one game to realise that and also that Daniel Kanu should be involved in the 18 man squad. 

Miles Leaburn is progressing and the partnership with Kanu would continue to flourish if given a chance. Kanu needs to get games to gain experience after being a prolific goal scorer in Youth football.

I hope George Dobson can stay for the rest of this season as he has found a home where he is appreciated. 
    Sorry, but in my opinion, he is not what I call a striker.

He barely resembles a footballer.

Stockley must be moved on.
  • Options
    the right part of the decision was stripping Stockley of the captaincy. He's def up the road in January. I'm amazed he even gets a place on the subs bench. 
    The wrong part of the decision is giving Dobson the armband. He gives 100% yes, but so did/do endless other players. But a captain has to be more than that. He has to be the kind of man that can oversee what is needed.  Inspire every type of player. The really disagreeable ones. The pathetic whining ones. All of them. Like firing up those that are lagging. To that end I don't see Dobson as 'captain material'. Inniss, definitely. In time - O Connell or Lavelle. Forster-Caskey if he was regular or even Fraser …  

Imagine Dobson telling Inniss to pull his ****ing finger out and do a shift. Good luck with that. This appointment is pathetic. Robson, Keane, Viera, Adams, Shearer were captains for a reason. They were hard as nails and everyone knew where they stood with them. I don't think Anita quite does it. I do hope they have a rethink and give it to a man. 

Some captains just lead by example though which Dobson does and if you've got a cajouler type who's a bit dodgy himself, you're probably better off if he says nothing - i.e innis and stockley - o'connell may have been the other option but i think dobbo the right call, particularly if it encourages him to stay. (I'm captain of my vets team but that's because i had a big part in setting the team up, host a team party every year and sort out other team social functions - the team would no doubt benefit more from a dobbo or bryan robson  :D )   
  • Options