Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We take more away than Millwall

Comments

• Options
    Ko MillwallFan said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I’d love to know your username on spanners online millwallfan 😂 165 pages…

Obsessed and last night showed the reason that you will never ever ever be as big as us whatever league we are in 

So taking big numbers to a one off cup game against glamorous opposition decides the size of club you are? Hmmm, it doesn’t really does it? I remember Northampton took about 7000 to Chelsea one year in the cup. 

We took over circa 10k to Luton for an fa cup quarter final back in the 80’s. We wasn’t a big club then and we aren’t now. Difference is we don’t care how fans of other clubs perceive us, or whether we’re classed as ‘big’ or not. In fact most of our fans revel on the fact that we’re a small club who regularly punch above our weight. 

But to a lot of charlton fans, it seems to really bother them as to whether they’re seen as big or not. I mean it really bothers a lot on here that you have to even play in league one, and that palace are classed as (much) bigger than you these days. 
    I think that's nonsense tbf. Yes, it bothers some fans, as it no doubt bothers some Millwall fans. 

I think your general point is correct. Us taking 9k to United last night doesn't really prove anything, it was a one off, unique game. The positive from a Charlton fans view of course is that it gives us the hope that ultimately, the fans are still there if we can sort ourselves out off the pitch. 
    Well I’m only talking from my experience. What I’ve seen on here and in meeting charlton fans in the flesh. And I’ve yet to meet a Millwall fan who cares whether we’re classed as small or not. As I say, we usually revel in it, biggest small club in the world and all that. 

It must really rile certain charlton fans, when they continually dig their nearest rivals out for being small, like we care, but have since become small yourself. For people who care so much about the perceived size of their club, where it stands in the football pyramid, and its potential, that must hurt. 
    It bothers all fans -it bothered the Wealdstone raider, it bothers us and it bothers you - why jokingly call yourself the biggest small club in the world if it doesn’t mean anything? You’re kidding no one 
    I can assure you it really doesn’t. The reason we call ourselves the biggest small club in the world is because we’re a small club who everyone seems to have heard of. Not always for the right reasons granted, but everyone has heard of little old Millwall. 
    It bothers you as much as it bothers us - not that much but it does 
    We average between 12 and 15k home fans at championship level. In what world would we ever be classed as anything but a small club? 

You got over inflated crowds during your PL days by bussing neutrals in from the Home Counties. It went to your fans heads and they started getting delusions of grandeur. They thought you was bigger than you actually was. Now you’re back to your core support and your crowds are a bit naff again, and it doesn’t sit right with a lot of your fans. The very fact that you try to goad us by calling us small shows how much it actually means to you. 

Show me any evidence that we care. You won’t find any. As I said, we revel in the fact that we’re a small club punching above our weight. Look how many PL clubs we have knocked out of the cup in the last 10 years. We love that. Our duels with Leeds, a real big club, in the third tier a few years back and often coming out on top, we loved that, We love being the small club who takes it to the bigger clubs. Fear no foe and all that. 

DOUCHER said:

Obsessed and last night showed the reason that you will never ever ever be as big as us whatever league we are in 

So taking big numbers to a one off cup game against glamorous opposition decides the size of club you are? Hmmm, it doesn’t really does it? I remember Northampton took about 7000 to Chelsea one year in the cup. 

We took over circa 10k to Luton for an fa cup quarter final back in the 80’s. We wasn’t a big club then and we aren’t now. Difference is we don’t care how fans of other clubs perceive us, or whether we’re classed as ‘big’ or not. In fact most of our fans revel on the fact that we’re a small club who regularly punch above our weight. 

But to a lot of charlton fans, it seems to really bother them as to whether they’re seen as big or not. I mean it really bothers a lot on here that you have to even play in league one, and that palace are classed as (much) bigger than you these days. 
    I think that's nonsense tbf. Yes, it bothers some fans, as it no doubt bothers some Millwall fans. 

I think your general point is correct. Us taking 9k to United last night doesn't really prove anything, it was a one off, unique game. The positive from a Charlton fans view of course is that it gives us the hope that ultimately, the fans are still there if we can sort ourselves out off the pitch. 
    Well I’m only talking from my experience. What I’ve seen on here and in meeting charlton fans in the flesh. And I’ve yet to meet a Millwall fan who cares whether we’re classed as small or not. As I say, we usually revel in it, biggest small club in the world and all that. 

It must really rile certain charlton fans, when they continually dig their nearest rivals out for being small, like we care, but have since become small yourself. For people who care so much about the perceived size of their club, where it stands in the football pyramid, and its potential, that must hurt. 
    It bothers all fans -it bothered the Wealdstone raider, it bothers us and it bothers you - why jokingly call yourself the biggest small club in the world if it doesn’t mean anything? You’re kidding no one 
    I can assure you it really doesn’t. The reason we call ourselves the biggest small club in the world is because we’re a small club who everyone seems to have heard of. Not always for the right reasons granted, but everyone has heard of little old Millwall. 
    It bothers you - I know that and it’s funny the lengths u go to to prove otherwise 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

I can honestly say hand on heart that it doesn't at all bother me. I support Charlton cos of the area i grew up in and because of family. Never really thought about how big or small we were in the football pyramid.  

Obviously everyone differs, but the general consensus you get from charlton fans as a whole is the one I’m talking about. 
  • Options
    JT_87 said:
    Or outsell L1 Sunderland at Wembley 
    Be fair JT.
    Our game against them was about 4 days after they had played Portsmouth at Wembley in the checkatrade.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JT_87 said:
    Or outsell L1 Sunderland at Wembley 
    Be fair JT.
    Our game against them was about 4 days after they had played Portsmouth at Wembley in the checkatrade.
    And we got there on our Oyster cards. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

I can honestly say hand on heart that it doesn't at all bother me. I support Charlton cos of the area i grew up in and because of family. Never really thought about how big or small we were in the football pyramid.  

Obviously everyone differs, but the general consensus you get from charlton fans as a whole is the one I’m talking about. 

I must have missed the census.
  • Options
    Apart from swapping League positions I would definitely want Berylsen as our owner. I have said it before and say it again, why does he continue pumping money into Millwall? He certainly seems to care and despite footing your losses just keeps doing so. 
    I would be seriously interested to know how Millwall would have coped if you had to put up with the dross and owners we have? I do recall the days of Stockport turning you over but they seem distant and short lived. These days you are just a few wins from the play offs. 
  • Options
    I know quite a few Millwall fans who have fallen out of love with the game and they don't bother going anymore.
    I seemed to have more knowledge about their league position in the championship than they did.

You can tell they simply no longer give a toss.

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    I know quite a few Millwall fans who have fallen out of love with the game and they don't bother going anymore.
    I seemed to have more knowledge about their league position in the championship than they did.

that'll please millwall fan - the smaller they get the more he likes it - all about david and golliath you see  :D
  • Options

I don’t go on spanners online. I spend all my time on here 😆
    Spanners online 😂 

What about Victoria Plumbing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Dave2l said:

A lot of their ‘fan base’ was enshrined in violence and the image and kudos that it attracted a large percentage, at a rough guess I’d say it was a good 30% who were actively involved in their heyday.
    That fan base has largely disappeared and is no longer pertinent, that is a major reason that the crowd numbers have dwindled, those involved have grown older and no longer so interested.
    They came not for the football but to be part of “The Firm”…..
    I guarantee that many of them didn’t even know (or even care to know), the name of the players…..they were there solely for the agg and to be able to boast and revel in that they were part of it.
    About 20 years back I was in a small pub in Forest Hill one week day afternoon with a pal of mine Billy Boy, coincidentally also an Addick.
    We were sat at the bar and we’re the only punters there, over the period of about half an hour fellas in their early twenties to mid thirties came in and gathered behind us at some tables near the windows, there were about ten of them.
    It turned out that they were a bunch of Millwalls finest waiting to greet one of their own who had been released from prison that very day…..though I surmise, it most likely was a football related reason he had been banged up for but I can’t say for sure.
    He duly arrived to much back slapping and cheering.
    For the next hour they proceeded to talk about The Wall….not about great games they had been to or where they had been in the league or players and managers that had left or joined the club……no it was about the rucks they had been in…..they reeled them off in great detail, laughing at what each of them and others had contributed to….do you remember this do you remember that, you know the kind of thing.
    It was incredible, I kid you not.
    We eventually had to leave and left them to their pathetic story telling.
    No doubt as the drinks flowed they would have got more and more obnoxious.
    Just saying. 🫤
  • Options
    This thread has far too much toxic masculinity running through it of late and I shall play no further part.

Be kind.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Dave2l said:

A lot of their ‘fan base’ was enshrined in violence and the image and kudos that it attracted a large percentage, at a rough guess I’d say it was a good 30% who were actively involved in their heyday.
    That fan base has largely disappeared and is no longer pertinent, that is a major reason that the crowd numbers have dwindled, those involved have grown older and no longer so interested.
    I guarantee that many of them didn’t even know (or even care to know), the name of the players…..they were there solely for the agg and to be able to boast and revel in that they were part of it.
    Probably one of the most ridiculous posts I’ve read on here. First of all, our crowd numbers haven’t really dwindled. They’ve stayed pretty consistent over the years, depending how we’re doing on the pitch, and are certainly healthier now than during the so called hooligans’heyday’. 

Secondly, 30%? Really? So of our old crowds of roughly 10k you’d say 3000 were actively involved in trouble? I’m not saying we didn’t have a large and active ‘firm’ but that figure would be a wild exaggeration. 

Thirdly, we all know the old faces who used to be involved down there, and guess what, most of them still go. They’re all in their 50’s, 60’s and 70’s now, and go with their kids and grandchildren. Yeah a few have dropped away over the years, died, or just lost interest for whatever reason, and a very few may have just stopped coming because, like you say, they genuinely only came for the trouble. But that figure would be a very very small percentage of our crowds. 

I think the so called supporters you are talking about, the ones who wouldn’t even know who plays for us, are the ones who call themselves Millwall, but NEVER actually go. They’re usually from the kent suburbs, like to say they’re Millwall to make themselves sound hard, but have only been to a couple of Wembley appearances in the last twenty years. Plums who have no bearing on our attendances as they was never regular in the first place. 

• Options
    Fuck me this is boring
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    Fuck me this is boring
    The internet has made football rivalry so fucking cringeworthy.

Grown men point scoring/ slagging clubs/ rival fans on football forums/ twitter.

• Options
    This thread has far too much toxic masculinity running through it of late and I shall play no further part.

Be kind.
    Please don't dip your toe into spannerlfe BBW.  You are far too sensitive.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

We average between 12 and 15k home fans at championship level. In what world would we ever be classed as anything but a small club? 

You got over inflated crowds during your PL days by bussing neutrals in from the Home Counties. It went to your fans heads and they started getting delusions of grandeur. They thought you was bigger than you actually was. Now you’re back to your core support and your crowds are a bit naff again, and it doesn’t sit right with a lot of your fans. The very fact that you try to goad us by calling us small shows how much it actually means to you. 

Show me any evidence that we care. You won’t find any. As I said, we revel in the fact that we’re a small club punching above our weight. Look how many PL clubs we have knocked out of the cup in the last 10 years. We love that. Our duels with Leeds, a real big club, in the third tier a few years back and often coming out on top, we loved that, We love being the small club who takes it to the bigger clubs. Fear no foe and all that. 

Just a lapsed support base returning after a few decades years away. We were massive in the 1940s and 50s don't you know........
  • Options

Be kind.
    Please don't dip your toe into spannerlfe BBW.  You are far too sensitive.
    That comment highlights exactly what I mean. Can someone be too sensitive? What is too sensitive? Is there a right amount sensitivity? As I say, very toxic...
  • Options
    My main problem with being a Charlton fan is our absolute terrible record against a main rival of ours.

Having not beaten Millwall since 1996, is just awful and it's something to be ashamed about.

If we had that record against a club like port Vale etc, then it is bad, still forgettable, but to not even prepare properly and not even get a win against Millwall when we've had loads of opportunities to do so, it is pathetic.

A geographic rivalry that has history behind it.

Millwall have a lot of rivalries. West ham, Leeds, Chelsea, Palace + roughly another 5 clubs 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Probably one of the most ridiculous posts I’ve read on here. First of all, our crowd numbers haven’t really dwindled. They’ve stayed pretty consistent over the years, depending how we’re doing on the pitch, and are certainly healthier now than during the so called hooligans’heyday’. 

Secondly, 30%? Really? So of our old crowds of roughly 10k you’d say 3000 were actively involved in trouble? I’m not saying we didn’t have a large and active ‘firm’ but that figure would be a wild exaggeration. 

Thirdly, we all know the old faces who used to be involved down there, and guess what, most of them still go. They’re all in their 50’s, 60’s and 70’s now, and go with their kids and grandchildren. Yeah a few have dropped away over the years, died, or just lost interest for whatever reason, and a very few may have just stopped coming because, like you say, they genuinely only came for the trouble. But that figure would be a very very small percentage of our crowds. 

I think the so called supporters you are talking about, the ones who wouldn’t even know who plays for us, are the ones who call themselves Millwall, but NEVER actually go. They’re usually from the kent suburbs, like to say they’re Millwall to make themselves sound hard, but have only been to a couple of Wembley appearances in the last twenty years. Plums who have no bearing on our attendances as they was never regular in the first place. 

Obviously I have touched a raw nerve. 😏
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apart from swapping League positions I would definitely want Berylsen as our owner. I have said it before and say it again, why does he continue pumping money into Millwall? He certainly seems to care and despite footing your losses just keeps doing so. 
    I would be seriously interested to know how Millwall would have coped if you had to put up with the dross and owners we have? I do recall the days of Stockport turning you over but they seem distant and short lived. These days you are just a few wins from the play offs. 
    Berylson’s wealthy in his own right, making a big chunk of his outlay back from the property development around the ground and married to an heir to the Kraft family.  And he’s happy to not be promoted too!
  • Options
    The way I look at it, Millwall are well run and are at a higher altitude than us and have been for some years. The important truth is that they are on a hill and we are on a mountain. They are near the top of their hill and we are near the bottom of our mountain. When we look up, there is the peak of the mountain, which we may or may not reach of course, but they will always only see the top of the hill.
  • Options
    The way I look at it, Millwall are well run and are at a higher altitude than us and have been for some years. The important truth is that they are on a hill and we are on a mountain. They are near the top of their hill and we are near the bottom of our mountain. When we look up, there is the peak of the mountain, which we may or may not reach of course, but they will always only see the top of the hill.
    I do hope you're right. 
  • Options
    I am right. It doesn't mean we will reach the top of our mountain and be higher than Millwall, it just sums up that we have the potential to be bigger which will always be the case. But potential is noting unless you achieve it.
  • Options
    What the fuck are you talking about?! 

Mountains, hills, what?
  • Options

Mountains, hills, what?
    I'll simplify for you. We will always have the potential to be bigger than them.
  • Options

Mountains, hills, what?
    That really did remind me of that scene in 'The Office' where Brent is talking to Jenny about not looking at the whole pie and the people being the fruit, when he is offered the promotion.

"I don't have time for the pie thing".
  • Options
    edited January 2023

With all due respect I think it bothers Charlton fans a little more because of the history of the club (not trying to be patronising here btw). From the mid to late 1930's it was a club heading to, and staying in the top flight, where it enjoyed several top four finishes (once runner up), and being top club in London occasionally.
    Stayed there until 1957 of course, picking up a major trophy, the FA Cup, on the way.
    Add to that the seven years in the Premier League, and I guess it makes those long trips to Fleetwood feel like dining in McDonald's when you're used to Chez Bruce.  It's not actually snobbery, it's more that it rankles when people you meet have no idea even what division you're in these days, especially when they're casual 'fans' of one the top six clubs, but probably couldn't tell you the names of more than a few of their team.
    You're right in a way that it shouldn't really matter, and we sometimes kid ourselves that it doesn't, but somehow it does, to some of us at least. But it doesn't mean I'm not going to get behind the team when it's in League One. There are plenty of other clubs who think they deserve to be in a higher division, but are struggling to get there, so it's still tough, competitive football.
  • Options
    This seems to have morphed into the thread to talk utter bollocks.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

1. Not quite true, we bussed casual fans from the home counties. They'd only turn up if it was made easy for them to do so. And they're the ones who drifted away when we were relegated, because they weren't interested enough to watch us in the lower leagues. Of course some will have been neutrals who just wanted some premier league action, but I bet most of them would have wanted Charlton to win. [PS Just saw Airman's post, above.]
    2. Respect to you for that, but we felt the same on Tuesday, despite the result.