Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We take more away than Millwall

124»

Comments

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    I know quite a few Millwall fans who have fallen out of love with the game and they don't bother going anymore.
    I seemed to have more knowledge about their league position in the championship than they did.

You can tell they simply no longer give a toss.

A lot of their ‘fan base’ was enshrined in violence and the image and kudos that it attracted a large percentage, at a rough guess I’d say it was a good 30% who were actively involved in their heyday.
    That fan base has largely disappeared and is no longer pertinent, that is a major reason that the crowd numbers have dwindled, those involved have grown older and no longer so interested.
    They came not for the football but to be part of “The Firm”…..
    I guarantee that many of them didn’t even know (or even care to know), the name of the players…..they were there solely for the agg and to be able to boast and revel in that they were part of it.
    Probably one of the most ridiculous posts I’ve read on here. First of all, our crowd numbers haven’t really dwindled. They’ve stayed pretty consistent over the years, depending how we’re doing on the pitch, and are certainly healthier now than during the so called hooligans’heyday’. 

Secondly, 30%? Really? So of our old crowds of roughly 10k you’d say 3000 were actively involved in trouble? I’m not saying we didn’t have a large and active ‘firm’ but that figure would be a wild exaggeration. 

Thirdly, we all know the old faces who used to be involved down there, and guess what, most of them still go. They’re all in their 50’s, 60’s and 70’s now, and go with their kids and grandchildren. Yeah a few have dropped away over the years, died, or just lost interest for whatever reason, and a very few may have just stopped coming because, like you say, they genuinely only came for the trouble. But that figure would be a very very small percentage of our crowds. 

I think the so called supporters you are talking about, the ones who wouldn’t even know who plays for us, are the ones who call themselves Millwall, but NEVER actually go. They’re usually from the kent suburbs, like to say they’re Millwall to make themselves sound hard, but have only been to a couple of Wembley appearances in the last twenty years. Plums who have no bearing on our attendances as they was never regular in the first place. 
    Tbf when I used to go with my grandad ('64-'66) I never saw any violence. I remember the gates were around 11,000 I think.
    But I do think your gates would increase if it wasn't for your fans' reputation, justified or otherwise.
  • Options
    The way I look at it, Millwall are well run and are at a higher altitude than us and have been for some years. The important truth is that they are on a hill and we are on a mountain. They are near the top of their hill and we are near the bottom of our mountain. When we look up, there is the peak of the mountain, which we may or may not reach of course, but they will always only see the top of the hill.
    What the fuck are you talking about?! 

Mountains, hills, what?
    I'll simplify for you. We will always have the potential to be bigger than them.
    That's handy.
    I can die a happy man.
    I didn't see us beat Millwall for 63 years, but we had the potential to be bigger than them.
  • Options
    This really has turned into a who's cock is bigger, it's a bit sad...to be fair, both very similar clubs,from similar backgrounds, nothing like the Surrey girls.