Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Macauley Bonne - now at Southend (p29)

Comments

• I never rated him, that’s why I’m not keen on his rejoining us.
    I used to despair at the number of times he was caught offside.🫤
  • edited January 2023
    Not really interested in what he says on social media, I just think he’s a poor, poor striker. How anyone can think our recruitment is anything other than an utter joke is beyond me.
    He very obviously is not a "poor  poor striker".

Latest league one performances by striker options for Charlton:

Bonne;  46 appearances, 12 goals.  
    Washington: 38 appearances, 11 goals
    Stockley:  29 appearances 3 goals.

Washington has a marginally better goals to games ratio, but not by much, and it seems unlikely he is an option.  Stockley has around 1 in 10.  Aneke, is unlikely to score again in the foreseeable future.

He may be an average average striker.  But he is better than any other options we have.
    Sorry, just don't rate him.

I quite liked Washington, but he was getting more wasteful the longer he went on; Stockley hasn't been the same since his injury and Chuks? If he had a decent level of fitness he'd be playing a lot higher up the league than he does now. We've been very lucky that Leaburn Jr has come through, wasn't that long ago he was behind Kanu,  

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. It's not just luck that Miles has come through, it's been really good development. He was clearly a part of the first team squad from the start of pre season. This was no fluke, people at the club saw something in him and thought he was ready to make the step up.

Many doubted this. I was chief amongst them. I thought a year of him playing out wide and getting used to the pace and physicality of senior football would be good for him. Maybe a second half loan. But I didn't think he had the touch and tactical awareness to play up front on his own.

I was dead wrong. 

And thank God I was. 

But he didn't come out of nowhere, and he didn't fluke his way into the first team on a run of good performances. He has been developed to be where he is. And yes, we needed another striker in the summer. And now, it'd be ideal if we could move Stockley on and get a more complete forward in. Both this, and the fact that the club got it right with Miles, can be true at the same time. 
  • Personally, I don't rate him. But he does have a fairly good goal scoring record, and he can play of the shoulder, which we don't have really. 
    Fairly positive signing, as I would have thought a number of clubs would have been in for him!
  • We get rid of Leco 
    And then bring him back

We get rid of Johnny Williams and then bring him back.

We get rid of Aneke 
    And then bring him back

We get rid of Bonne 
    And then get him back. 

Do our scouts actually do any scouting 

100%

Bolder and Humphrey are being lined up I hear.
  • Bonne has scored just once in his last 30 games, he's about as oven ready as Boris's Brexit deal.

I s'pose I was hoping for better - especially following Andy Scott's appointment - where it was promised the search would be spread far and wide. 

Anyway, despite comments I wish him well, I dearly hope he finds form.
  • We’re mid table in L1 with the playoffs looking very unlikely and our options appear to be frees and loans. Having another striker improves us and he had a decent scoring record for us and Ipswich. The only way we’d have got better is getting lucky with a youngster on loan, but Bonne’s main role will hopefully be coming off the bench and being cover for Leaburn.

I hope by the summer we’ve been taken over and we’ll have a lot more options. A 6 month deal makes sense for that reason.
  • Bonne has scored just once in his last 30 games, he's about as oven ready as Boris's Brexit deal.

I s'pose I was hoping for better - especially following Andy Scott's appointment - where it was promised the search would be spread far and wide. 

Mostly sub appearances 
  • thenewbie said:
    I seem to be in the minority, but I don't mind this as a deal to the end of the season.  If it works out, great.  If it doesn't we get rid.

Good deal IMO
    I agree. We need a striker, he needs a club. And if it does go to shit, he will be off in a few months anyway. The fact that realistically we're not going to do better than Bonne in terms of a striker is just the reality of the situation.
    He literally can't be worse than what we have as well. There's no reason for Leaburn to lose his spot at the moment, so that's fine, and if we bring Bonne on and he doesn't score then that's no different to Stockley. Half a season scoring one header and a penalty, the bloke isn't scoring for Charlton again this season, his confidence is completely gone. It's worth trying
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Bonne has scored just once in his last 30 games, he's about as oven ready as Boris's Brexit deal.

Mostly sub appearances 
    88 minutes across 9 appearances this season, started 1, 19 minutes being the longest appearance in a league game. 937 minutes across 21 appearances last season. Started 9. One goal, three assists (including one against us because of course). He's started 10 games out of 30 and not had a consistent run in that period. It's still not a good scoring record but you can't expect much from his last 9 games when he's often had between 1 and 5 minutes on the pitch. I think there's always so much context in appearances that gets washed away when it's just presented on its own
  • What did people make of his appearances against us at The Valley? For QPR & Ipswich.
  • Chunes said:
    What did people make of his appearances against us at The Valley? For QPR & Ipswich.
    Definitely didnt stand out for QPR against us... Ipswich probably harder to judge, as we bossed that game to the point where their fans were arguing from the Jimmy Seed with the players post match
  • edited January 2023
    See Bonne has been given the number 8 shirt, I know it's just a number but big boots to fill...🤔
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Bonne has scored just once in his last 30 games, he's about as oven ready as Boris's Brexit deal.

Mostly sub appearances 
    88 minutes across 9 appearances this season, started 1, 19 minutes being the longest appearance in a league game. 937 minutes across 21 appearances last season. Started 9. One goal, three assists (including one against us because of course). He's started 10 games out of 30 and not had a consistent run in that period. It's still not a good scoring record but you can't expect much from his last 9 games when he's often had between 1 and 5 minutes on the pitch. I think there's always so much context in appearances that gets washed away when it's just presented on its own
    I know and agree, I made this same argument a couple of pages back.
  • Chunes said:
    What did people make of his appearances against us at The Valley? For QPR & Ipswich.
    Really poor, and glad he wasn't playing for us. 
  • Chunes said:
    Macauley has revealed that when he was filmed screaming "F*ck Charlton" at a group of Addicks fans a few months ago, he was actually referring to Charlton Heston.

"Yeah I've got an ongoing thing with Charlton Heston that I was unhappy about, and that's what I was referring to."
    That’s genuinely very funny, well played 

• So, while I’m viewing this thread, I keep getting this advert coming up.  I’m thinking, I hope she’s coming to my place ‘cos I’m certainly not going for a weekend away where she is.
  • Sponsored links:

• PS Tidy with his head too, which I like
  • I thought he showed a lot of promise at times during his first stint 
    He scored some good goals, missed some sitters, but he got into good goal scoring positions.
    His movement wasn't bad and he was decent in the air.
    Since then, he's had further experience at a couple of good clubs.
    I think he and Leaburn could well hit it off and be a real handful.
  • edited January 2023
    SDAddick said:
    Not really interested in what he says on social media, I just think he’s a poor, poor striker. How anyone can think our recruitment is anything other than an utter joke is beyond me.
    He very obviously is not a "poor  poor striker".

Latest league one performances by striker options for Charlton:

Bonne;  46 appearances, 12 goals.  
    Washington: 38 appearances, 11 goals
    Stockley:  29 appearances 3 goals.

Washington has a marginally better goals to games ratio, but not by much, and it seems unlikely he is an option.  Stockley has around 1 in 10.  Aneke, is unlikely to score again in the foreseeable future.

He may be an average average striker.  But he is better than any other options we have.
    Sorry, just don't rate him.

I quite liked Washington, but he was getting more wasteful the longer he went on; Stockley hasn't been the same since his injury and Chuks? If he had a decent level of fitness he'd be playing a lot higher up the league than he does now. We've been very lucky that Leaburn Jr has come through, wasn't that long ago he was behind Kanu,  

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. It's not just luck that Miles has come through, it's been really good development. He was clearly a part of the first team squad from the start of pre season. This was no fluke, people at the club saw something in him and thought he was ready to make the step up.

Many doubted this. I was chief amongst them. I thought a year of him playing out wide and getting used to the pace and physicality of senior football would be good for him. Maybe a second half loan. But I didn't think he had the touch and tactical awareness to play up front on his own.

I was dead wrong. 

And thank God I was. 

But he didn't come out of nowhere, and he didn't fluke his way into the first team on a run of good performances. He has been developed to be where he is. And yes, we needed another striker in the summer. And now, it'd be ideal if we could move Stockley on and get a more complete forward in. Both this, and the fact that the club got it right with Miles, can be true at the same time. 
    I was told the reason he was taken on the pre-season trip was to encourage him to sign his contract. Some people at the club were surprised he was taken over Kanu. But I agree he has shown it was a good decision.
  • Got to be happy with him coming back could be just the link in the chain that's been missing in our strike force 
  • Bonne choosing the number 8 shirt and playing up front is worse than anything he’s said on social media. Get him gone 
    Maybe he’s a fan of this great striker 

Great photo too
  • Bonne choosing the number 8 shirt and playing up front is worse than anything he’s said on social media. Get him gone 
    Absolutely agree. Every bad thing everyone has said about him is correct, my only criticism is none of it went far enough. Number 8? Even 11 was available, which I will tolerate in a pinch. But 8? Wrong 'un. Joining the ranks of Leon Best and Nicky Ajose in the strikers making shameful choices hall of fame.
  • edited January 2023
    Do they really just line up the available numbers and leave it to the player to select what he likes, don't think that can be how it works surely, when you think back to previous players who have worn this shirt, not only JFC, but Matt Holland and Mark Kinsella to name but three...NO!
  • edited January 2023
    Bonne choosing the number 8 shirt and playing up front is worse than anything he’s said on social media. Get him gone 
    Absolutely agree. Every bad thing everyone has said about him is correct, my only criticism is none of it went far enough. Number 8? Even 11 was available, which I will tolerate in a pinch. But 8? Wrong 'un. Joining the ranks of Leon Best and Nicky Ajose in the strikers making shameful choices hall of fame.
    Some of our supporters needed counselling when Stuart Balmer became the first outfield player in English football to wear the number 1

True, Morgan at 10 and Bonne at 8 irritates the Football Manager player in me.