Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 21st January 2023 | Match Preview - GAME OFF

Comments

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    The forecast for this week shows rising temperatures, after Tuesday with overnight temperatures at + 2/3degrees with daytime temperatures at + 6/8 degrees, so would expect the pitch will be covered overnight, so the Bolton game should be ok. 
    I agree latter part of the week forecast is better.

Be interesting to see what comms we see / don't see given the comments last time we had a late pitch inspection and also the debacle this weekend at Posh.
    Temperatures unlikely to be below freezing in SE7 from now until kick off on Saturday.  That should make a postponement highly unlikely
    Also CAFC has the very significant financial incentive of the satellite broadcast of Saturday's game.  It should be obvious to any competent club official* that it's worth spending every penny of the broadcast fee and probably more besides to ensure the game goes ahead as advertised.  Undersoil heating, pitch covers and heat lamps should all be lined up to get the game on.
    As for communication?  Apart from possibly Holden, there won't be any will there? Resources for essentials like comms have been pared right to the bone, plus skintgaard doesn't give a shit about his paying customers as anything other than cash cows. 

* how many are there in positions of power?
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    The forecast for this week shows rising temperatures, after Tuesday with overnight temperatures at + 2/3degrees with daytime temperatures at + 6/8 degrees, so would expect the pitch will be covered overnight, so the Bolton game should be ok. 

Be interesting to see what comms we see / don't see given the comments last time we had a late pitch inspection and also the debacle this weekend at Posh.
    Temperatures unlikely to be below freezing in SE7 from now until kick off on Saturday.  That should make a postponement highly unlikely
    Also CAFC has the very significant financial incentive of the satellite broadcast of Saturday's game.  It should be obvious to any competent club official* that it's worth spending every penny of the broadcast fee and probably more besides to ensure the game goes ahead as advertised.  Undersoil heating, pitch covers and heat lamps should all be lined up to get the game on.
    As for communication?  Apart from possibly Holden, there won't be any will there? Resources for essentials like comms have been pared right to the bone, plus skintgaard doesn't give a shit about his paying customers as anything other than cash cows. 

The Chelsea women's game was on TV yesterday, that didn't do them any good! Not that the Sky money for L1 is worth much anyway

With the weather warming up, I don't see a problem for Saturday. That game before Christmas was more of a challenge, which the ground staff overcame
  • Options
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    Can just see all the non league/lower league grounds used installing under soil heating, unless of course the WPL pay for it. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Dansk_Red said:

The Chelsea women's game was on TV yesterday, that didn't do them any good! Not that the Sky money for L1 is worth much anyway

With the weather warming up, I don't see a problem for Saturday. That game before Christmas was more of a challenge, which the ground staff overcame
    Chelsea women's manager Emma Hays on R4 this morning stating its unacceptable for any game in the Women's Premier League to have games postponed due to a frozen pitch and stating that all Women's FA Premier League grounds must be made to have undersoil heating. 
    This lady seems to want a lot for a level that averages 750 fans.
    Exactly
  • Options
    Can just see all the non league/lower league grounds used installing under soil heating, unless of course the WPL pay for it. 
    Chelsea play at the former Kingstonian/AFC Wimbledon ground
    Arsenal play at Borehamwood
    Spurs play at Leyton Orient

I'm sure Leyton Orient and Borehamwood would be very happy to install under soil heating if the PL clubs paid for it! 
  • Options

I'm sure Leyton Orient and Borehamwood would be very happy to install under soil heating if the PL clubs paid for it! 
    It’s the operating cost which is the killer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It’s the operating cost which is the killer, killer.
    Fixed that for you Airman 😁.
  • Options

I assume it would only be turned on for women's matches though, and they would pay the bill?
  • Options
    Operation London Road
  • Options
    edited January 2023

I assume it would only be turned on for women's matches though, and they would pay the bill?
    The point being it’s unlikely to be economic to run it for small crowds at minor grounds.

it’s not necessarily the installation cost which is the obstacle in the EFL, especially at the moment.
  • Options
    Peterborough's game at Burton Albion tonight has been called off due to a frozen pitch.  Announcement made 7 hours before the KO rather than an hour or so..  Peterborough really should hang their heads in shame for poor comms Saturday. 
  • Options
    If I remember rightly we have an Addick who lives in Peterborough and posts on here…..can’t remember his handle.
    If he reads this maybe he could add something of the local media reaction.
  • Options
    If I remember rightly we have an Addick who lives in Peterborough and posts on here…..can’t remember his handle.
    If he reads this maybe he could add something of the local media reaction.
    That'll be @redbuttle and @ButtleJR I believe.

• Options
    Described as tinpot by their own fans. They appreciate the gesture by the chairman.Not much more to say as their views are the same as ours.
  • Options
    How’s the investigation going I wonder?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a load of old cobblers that statement is, talk about trying to bury the groundsman for you own incompetence as a club to grasp the nettle and solve a problem.
    If it was that touch and go that they were relying on pitch lights and the temperature rising based on a weather forecast to solve the pitch from becoming non-playable, then surely you would get a second official opinion in earlier or even the day before, and saying it was playable at 9am well, that just doesn't wash, total cover-up as you would expect from an internal investigation in an attempt to get out of the shite..
  • Options
    Bullshit... You often see the sun clearing frost on cars as the day goes by, so it should have unfrozen the pitch even more as the day went on surely... Not made it bloody worse!!
  • Options
    So if all was good why did he suddenly feel the need to work overnight and keep moving the lamps?

it was in doubt then is the conclusion I would reach. 
  • Options
    So they had concerns at 9am, but didn't tell anyone at Charlton or share that information with the media.
  • Options
    So they had concerns at 9am, but didn't tell anyone at Charlton or share that information with the media.
    They took the covers off at 9am, all was good so that was that and they didn’t feel they needed to do anything else so the tired groundsman went home to bed.  Whilst they were blissfully unaware that the uncovered pitch could easily refreeze in shady areas with the air temperature forecast, the first person who discovered the frozen bits was the match ref at around 12ish and there was not enough time to melt the ice. I can only presume that the groundsman and stadium manager do not know local conditions enough to understand at what temperature their uncovered pitch freezes at.  
  • Options
    How do we get the refund for this? Do i need to wait for the club to arrange something or do i just need to return the tickets?
  • Options
    How do we get the refund for this? Do i need to wait for the club to arrange something or do i just need to return the tickets?
    If you return the tickets they will refund you. 
  • Options
    They took the covers off at 9am, all was good so that was that and they didn’t feel they needed to do anything else so the tired groundsman went home to bed.  Whilst they were blissfully unaware that the uncovered pitch could easily refreeze in shady areas with the air temperature forecast, the first person who discovered the frozen bits was the match ref at around 12ish and there was not enough time to melt the ice. I can only presume that the groundsman and stadium manager do not know local conditions enough to understand at what temperature their uncovered pitch freezes at.  
    Not enough information to know if it’s a factor, but they appear to have outsourced at least some responsibility for day to day management of the pitch. 
  • Options
    Pisses me right off.

Last minute decision by me to take my boy to this game, we went from Kings Cross and bought our train tickets at 12.20 for the 12.45 train.  No match tickets as we were going to buy on the door. 

£40 wasted and needlessly as if I knew there were pitch inspections even as late as midday I wouldn't have bothered.

Not only out of pocket but as we didn't have match tickets we won't even get any offer of free travel for the rearranged game.  Ggrr.