Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 21st January 2023 | Match Preview - GAME OFF

Comments

• Options
    Oh gawd, it gets worse. Not just quoting Macanthony, fans are now pasting Know-it-all Neville's tweets on the matter, which is something but a glaringly obvious statement. 
  • Options
    Back at London Bridge, pissed😡😡😡😡😡
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    What you do if you are a proper club is get a local ref to have a look in the morning if the match ref isn't there. They actually announced all was fine. They should at least be made to refund the costs of our fans and indeed their ones too.

There was nothing unpredictable about the weather. In fact the sun has been glaring and bright since this morning.
    There are three stakeholders in the decision to decide whether a EFL game is off or on - one isnt "a local referee"!!

First, the senior stadium official for health and safety. He/she to decide whether conditions inside and immediately outside are safe (no snow/ice, as an example).

Secondly, the Police Office in charge of the game for the day; responsible for internal customer control and responsible for external approaches to the game being safe (usually snow/ice impact upon travelling).

The match referee, being responsible for the safety of players on the physical pitch. 

Having said all that, I am surprised that a pitch inspection wasn't made earlier in the morning. I would not know whether the club failed to advise the match referee earlier that there could be some doubt about the match proceeding or whether the match referee should take some responsibility for a late pitch inspection.
    I have seen clubs get an alternative referee on a number of occasions in these circumstances where the match official may not be available. It potentially saves all parties time, money and effort.
  • Options
    Didn't we have a late (fans in the ground) postponement midweek against Newcastle at St James's.  

Yhere should be some form of compensation package for fans.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Disgraceful, sitting in Subway some fans just told us.
    Just in: Some sitting Subway fans told us disgraceful.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Kap10 said:
    Didn't we have a late (fans in the ground) postponement midweek against Newcastle at St James's.  

Too right.
    Barnsley at home a few years back, called off 10 minutes after I'd just bought a round of drinks coming to £40
    Was it your birthday?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    clb74 said:
    Kap10 said:

Too right.
    Barnsley at home a few years back, called off 10 minutes after I'd just bought a round of drinks coming to £40
    Don’t tell me @ElfsborgAddick was pulling the old  Brandy and Babychams trick 😁.
  • Options
    Obviously a big disappointment for Holden and players who would've been there and raring to play. They turned up after receiving confirmation from Peterborough on Friday and this morning - pitch was fine and no need for inspection. Then Holden & Ferguson are called in to join the match referee around 1.30pm to inspect an area of pitch under the shadow of stand which is like "hard concrete". Unplayable! No doubt it was unplayable Friday. Peterborough are now having an inquiry into why ground staff sent out misleading information. Players and Charlton staff will not lose a penny in costs to them. IT'S THE FANS WHO SUFFER. Holden to his credit has mentioned this - which shows he recognises the importance of the cost and sacrifices the fans make to support the club. Presumably EFL will brush every complaint under their expansive carpet. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't know if I am more pissed off that I spent £40+ on travel to nowhere and as I didn't have a ticket, even in the remote chance free travel was given for the rearranged fixture it is unlikely I will qualify for it, or that in my pre season accy I had 12 different things at £20.  Currently 11 are in place and looking good and one is Peterborough top 6.  Going to cost me £16,800!
  • Options
    Charlton fans need to make a point. Boycotting the game when it is played would teach Peterborough a lesson.
    The only problem with that is we have already paid for our tickets which will be valid on whichever Tuesday night that  McAnthony believes we wont show. Given that we were taking 1500 we probably were taking more than their home gate. Having not had an earlier inspection and calling it off so late, Peterborough should be penalised by losing home advantage with the rearranged match being played at the Valley
    Some punishment like this needs to be made.

I think that matches should be called off the day before if there is any doubt, or if the away club agree then a later time like 10am on the day of the match. If it isn't and it fails the pitch inspection then it's an away win.

There would certainly be more matches called off but it would be better all round.
  • Options
    Back at London Bridge, pissed😡😡😡😡😡
    off 
  • Options
    Charlton fans need to make a point. Boycotting the game when it is played would teach Peterborough a lesson.
    The only problem with that is we have already paid for our tickets which will be valid on whichever Tuesday night that  McAnthony believes we wont show. Given that we were taking 1500 we probably were taking more than their home gate. Having not had an earlier inspection and calling it off so late, Peterborough should be penalised by losing home advantage with the rearranged match being played at the Valley

I think that matches should be called off the day before if there is any doubt, or if the away club agree then a later time like 10am on the day of the match. If it isn't and it fails the pitch inspection then it's an away win.

There would certainly be more matches called off but it would be better all round.
    10am.
    I will be halfway down to Exeter if they decided to call the game off on the 4th of Feb.
    How does that help me?

• Options
    Obviously a big disappointment for Holden and players who would've been there and raring to play. They turned up after receiving confirmation from Peterborough on Friday and this morning - pitch was fine and no need for inspection. Then Holden & Ferguson are called in to join the match referee around 1.30pm to inspect an area of pitch under the shadow of stand which is like "hard concrete". Unplayable! No doubt it was unplayable Friday. Peterborough are now having an inquiry into why ground staff sent out misleading information. Players and Charlton staff will not lose a penny in costs to them. IT'S THE FANS WHO SUFFER. Holden to his credit has mentioned this - which shows he recognises the importance of the cost and sacrifices the fans make to support the club. Presumably EFL will brush every complaint under their expansive carpet. 
    Exactly
  • Options
    So when do we want the game's called off if we are the away supporter?
    12pm me and my mates are already in town at an away  game.
    My journey for Exeter will begin at 7am.
    Today though was a total cock up.
    If I choose to get to Peterborough at 11 am that's my choice, but on the journey up there me and my mates were saying with the fog and frost , surely they will be calling a pitch inspection.
    I'd like to know what time Charlton officials got in touch with Peterborough to make sure there wasn't any problems.
    As I say I was getting to Peterborough for 11am so that's my problem.
    But going back to the station there was still fans coming out the station at 2.20pm they might of been spared the journey if pitch inspection at 12pm.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

10am.
    I will be halfway down to Exeter if they decided to call the game off on the 4th of Feb.
    How does that help me?

Drop off and see me in Basingstoke. 
  • Options
    Rumour going round that they watered the pitch this morning which caused it to freeze.
    Luckily for them as they had a number of injuries. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    PeterGage said:
    What you do if you are a proper club is get a local ref to have a look in the morning if the match ref isn't there. They actually announced all was fine. They should at least be made to refund the costs of our fans and indeed their ones too.

There was nothing unpredictable about the weather. In fact the sun has been glaring and bright since this morning.
    There are three stakeholders in the decision to decide whether a EFL game is off or on - one isnt "a local referee"!!

First, the senior stadium official for health and safety. He/she to decide whether conditions inside and immediately outside are safe (no snow/ice, as an example).

Secondly, the Police Office in charge of the game for the day; responsible for internal customer control and responsible for external approaches to the game being safe (usually snow/ice impact upon travelling).

The match referee, being responsible for the safety of players on the physical pitch. 

Having said all that, I am surprised that a pitch inspection wasn't made earlier in the morning. I would not know whether the club failed to advise the match referee earlier that there could be some doubt about the match proceeding or whether the match referee should take some responsibility for a late pitch inspection.
    I have seen clubs get an alternative referee on a number of occasions in these circumstances where the match official may not be available. It potentially saves all parties time, money and effort.
    No "local refs" used at this level. Happy to be told I am wrong, but I believe local refs can only be used to judge pitches at step 5 and lower levels.
  • Options
    Decent response
  • Options
    Credit where it is due. This is very good from the owners.
  • Options
    I think its a very good and to be honest surprising response.
  • Options
    Classy - took ownership of the situation and did something to put it right. 
  • Options
    Rate that, well done Darragh
  • Options
    Fair do
  • Options
    Yep fair play to the owner.