Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gavin Kilkenny

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    My biggest reservation, is that Kill Kenny is apparently only 5' 7".

He's been described as a tenacious and with a good range of passing, mustard even, which ticks several boxes - but I have felt we were a bit small and lightweight in central midfield; perhaps I was expecting a bigger more physical player?

It's the Third Division and many players in other teams' midfield often appear bigger, stronger and more physical than ours.

Nevertheless if he can physically compete and consistantly add something extra to our midfield, then he'll be doing his job well.
    Evidently he's Mc Grandles replacement, hoping he's more Josh Cullen.

Cullen was only 5'9 but he knew how to chuck himself about the place. Him alongside Field/Pratley/Bielik meant that one of them did the destroying, so he could keep the game ticking over in possession and get involved in harrying the opposition of out possession. Dobson handles the bastarding at the moment and Fraser isn't a shrinking violet either. I'm hopeful that Kilkenny can give us some control with and without the ball, which will allow us to get the ball to our wingers more, take a bit of the pressure off our full backs and make us less easy to drive through the centre of. It's been two seasons of opposition teams breaking down the middle and overloading us in the gaps between our CBs and full backs, I'm done with it
    All good points. We especially need to close down the soft underbelly of our defence, with opponents driving into gaps between defenders.

We've lacked a neat and tidy Kinsella or Matty Holland type player to keep us ticking over with a good shape.
    And if Kilkenny can do that plus add a good range of long passing, then that will release our wingers quicker on the counter.

Compared to pretty but ineffective slow-motion error strewn Garnerball, I do prefer Holden's more intense and quicker style of playing the game, mixing possession with  the direct. I like that he's bringing in players to suit that style.

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Bournemouth supporting friend of mine says he's mustard.

He also said Stockley was a posh twat who shoplifted sweets as a teenager (they went same school). Useless goss for you all x
    Didn't we all?
  • Options
    Josh Cullen 2.0
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Callumcafc said:
    Sounds like he gives us more of a Cullen style player to play alongside Dobson and give us a bit more of a 4-4-2 option, or 3-5-2.

I was thinking 4-2-3-1 myself.

The problem this team has had for 18 months now is leaking goals. Get another body protecting the back four as well as someone who can spray passes to the wide players - our biggest threat.

Also creates a big hole in the no. 10 spot that is made for Fraser to play in.
    Or a 433 with 2 sitting midfielders and one attacking one, 
  • Options
    This is an excellent 5 min podcast. 
    Spot on & a very good transfer window as they say. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    msomerton said:
    A knowledgeable but impartial opinion on our transfers business concludes we’ve done pretty well out of this window. Good to hear and have it cutting through the general complaining on here. 
    Sorry can read nothing into such pod broadcast, they can say nothing derogatory about a player for fear of being sued.
    Not sure if I'm being whooshed but you can't be sued for giving an opinion on a player. 
  • Options
    Imagine, if yo'ure not allowed to be truthful. 
    You'd have to say everyone had a good game, all the players are top noch etc. 
  • Options
    We all know what happened the last time we had a diminutive Irish midfielder... 
  • Options
    UP THE IRISH! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Given that Josh Cullen was born in England I assume you’re referring to Alan McCormack and the time he went up the OXO Tower.

Classic times on Charlton Life.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Bournemouth supporting friend of mine says he's mustard.

He also said Stockley was a posh twat who shoplifted sweets as a teenager (they went same school). Useless goss for you all x
    Can confirm that I've heard the same.

About Kilkenny that is not Stockley. Has even been a clamour in some parts down here to recall him to the AFCB squad. Think that's a little like our own always become world beaters when they're not available or out on loan myself, but he seems fairly highly regarded from his time in the Championship as Lewis Cook's back up. 
  • Options
    Don’t care
  • Options
    Poor sod must be wondering what he has walked into, particularly as DH has just told him he's playing centre half on Saturday.
  • Options
    He'll be average 
  • Options
    Poor sod must be wondering what he has walked into, particularly as DH has just told him he's playing centre half on Saturday.
    Yeah, all 5'7" of him. No wonder we could afford to let O'Connell go.

• Options
    Physios room gonna look like Queen Marys A&E with all the queueing for beds
    FFS
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    Given that Josh Cullen was born in England I assume you’re referring to Alan McCormack and the time he went up the OXO Tower took his wife up the OXO tower, lets get it right.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    msomerton said:
    A knowledgeable but impartial opinion on our transfers business concludes we’ve done pretty well out of this window. Good to hear and have it cutting through the general complaining on here. 
    Sorry can read nothing into such pod broadcast, they can say nothing derogatory about a player for fear of being sued.
    Not sure if I'm being whooshed but you can't be sued for giving an opinion on a player. 
    You have never seen references these days. People now fear saying what they think of the leaving employe or the university graduate.
    For fear of legal repercussions.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    How tall is he?
    Elfsberg? Not very, I'm told. 

Affirmative 😉.
    Very funny lofty.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    msomerton said:
    Chunes said:
    msomerton said:
    You have never seen references these days. People now fear saying what they think of the leaving employe or the university graduate.
    For fear of legal repercussions.
    References are governed by employment law. If you want to give a bad reference you have to be able to prove you have reasonable grounds for it. The law has long been that way, it's nothing new. 

It's also not got much to do with giving an opinion on a player on a football podcast! 
  • Options
    'I’d say I’m a ball-playing midfielder but I like to get stuck in and bring energy in the middle of the pitch. I want to get forward but I like to try and do every part of the game from the midfield - defend and attack - so I don’t want to be labelled as one or the other. I want to do a little bit of both'.
    Sounds like a Josh Cullen type, let's hope he plays as well as he did
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    Given that Josh Cullen was born in England I assume you’re referring to Alan McCormack and the time he went up the OXO Tower.

Those of a certain age think he might mean Eamon Dunphy.
  • Options
    Also in the video interview, there's several clips of him Kilkenny training using both feet controlling the ball and passing.

Even though he evidently prefers to use his right for passing, he's not afraid to use his left.
    A genuinely 2-footed player, perhaps?

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    Also in the video interview, there's several clips of him Kilkenny training using both feet controlling the ball and passing.

Even though he evidently prefers to use his right for passing, he's not afraid to use his left.
    Yeah he looks well balanced, and I’m looking forward to seeing him getting minutes soon. Also looking forward to editing out the space under your post. Done! (OCD attack). 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Oggy Red said:

Yeah he looks well balanced, and I’m looking forward to seeing him getting minutes soon. Also looking forward to editing out the space under your post. Done! (OCD attack). 
    I didn't know whether to 'like' or 'lol' your post. Jimmy, you got the 'lol'. :smile:

Not really sure why there was so much space under the post. Probably something to do if I re-write or alter something.
    I'm sure AFKA or LoOkie will be grateful. :smile: