Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby County vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th February 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off | Match Preview

Derby County vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 18th February 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Paul Howard

Introduction
Charlton returned to winning ways on Tuesday night, when they visited a new Stadium for the first time in our long history. Jes Rak-Sakyi proved to be the difference between the two sides, leaving Forest Green unable to handle the tricky winger for much of the evening, the on loan signing would prove to be wingman on Valentine's night, setting up Corey Blackett-Taylor to score the sole goal of the evening - This Saturday we make the trip to Derybshire, our Play-Off hopes hang as finely as a strand of hair... On a bald mans head!!

Our opponents will no doubt perform at the levels we'll need to think about reaching, if we dont want next season to be as wasteful as these last few!!

The Opposition
Name: Derby County (5th) | Manager: Paul Warne
Ground: Pride Park
Previous League Result: Derby County 1-1 Lincoln City.

We travel to Pride Park this coming Saturday looking to become just the third side to escape from a venue all three points this season

Under Paul Warne the Rams have lost just once at home... a 1-2 defeat at the hands of a Port Vale, two sides not used to facing off against each other from across the Peak District - After a sluggish start to life in League One, our opponents have found their footing, early form saw Derby in and around mid-table, making many wonder if this to be another side that would struggle with the grit and determination we see from many teams at this level.

Well it appears the answer is... Probably not

The Rams only find themselves in the Play-Offs by four points, but sit just three behind an Ipswich Town side which have stuttered of late, they along with Wycombe and Barnsley have games in hand on those above them, so whilst the likes of Ashley Maynard-Brewer still have hopes of reaching the Play-Offs, recording three points @ Pride Park on Saturday are vital to those incredibily distant hopes - You have to go back nine games to find a last Charlton victory in those parts, goals from Andy Hunt and Martin Pringle pulling us out of the Premiership drop zone in February 1999.

Charlton Team News
Tuesday night saw the introduction of Michael Hector for the first time, the Jamaican International became V962, as we slowly approach the 1000th player to pull on the red shirt of Charlton Athletic - Of course the deadline signing only appeared for the final ten minutes, making his first competitive appearance since November 2021, meaning that we shouldnt expect to see him starting any time soon. However his calmness alongside Ryan Inniss and Lucas Ness helped us record the win at Forest Green, and could be vital in a similar role going forward for us, as we look to finish as high up the table before another season gets consigned to the history books.

Elsewhere, and Miles Leaburn has been the notable absentee of late, he's missed the last two games with a hip injury... Neither Macauley Bonne nor Chuks Aneke have impressed in his stead, so you'd hope that the promising youngster is back available this coming Saturday. Although if he is, you'd expect it to be from the bench, what with having his minutes restricted slightly since Dean Holden joined.

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Inniss - Ness - Penney
Kilkenny - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Bonne - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Hector - Sessegnon - Morgan - Payne - Campbell - Aneke

Comments

• Options
    Yep, expect much of a muchness, but hopefully Sess rather than Two-a. I expect Derby to bounce back from a poor midweek game and give us a real thrashing, thus completely ending any miniscule play off hopes some fans may harbour....
  • Options
    I fear we're going to get a absolutely battered.
  • Options
    Really tough one this, more so I think because they dropped points at home in the week. Hope Miles is back with Chuks to come on later in the game. It's Charlton so not a given we will perform poorly like the other night but I fear Derby will be too strong. 2-0. Hope I am so wrong. UTA
  • Options
    If I was a FGR fan I'd see this as the typically patronising attitude of larger clubs towards them. No detailed match preview for their game, whereas the Derby one gets the full preview 2 days in advance. ;) 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Yep, expect much of a muchness, but hopefully Sess rather than Two-a. I expect Derby to bounce back from a poor midweek game and give us a real thrashing, thus completely ending any miniscule play off hopes some fans may harbour....
    Change Derby to Charlton, instead of poor midweek game, change to poor season. Perhaps it is our turn to bounce back, from somewhere 🤣
  • Options
    This is going to be typical Charlton: lose last weekend at home to a relegation-threatened Fleetwood "boasting" our erstwhile skipper up front, beat promotion-chasing Derby at their gaff this weekend.

Come on lads, give me a nice birthday present.

Derby 0 Charlton 1 (not Bonne) and mid-table mediocrity is still on the cards for this season.
  • Options
    This is the sort of game that seems like a no hoper with a defeat the only option, however, not me..
    0-2 and the double completed over The Rams is the way I see it, we do seem to up our game against the better sides, hopefully FGR is a distant memory, and some sense of pride returns...🤞
  • Options
    If we get the rub of the green , play to our best and get all the decisions our way , we might scrape a 3-0 defeat 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A must win
  • Options
    A must we?
    Fixed for you.
  • Options
    4-1 home win.
  • Options
    To spinkle some positivity quote Dean Holden
    "You have to believe it, if you don’t believe it then you might as well give up now"
    C'mon Charlton!

• Options
    No wins in Charlton’s last 9 visits to Pride Park. February 1999 2-0 the last win 
  • Options
    To spinkle some positivity quote Dean Holden
    "You have to believe it, if you don’t believe it then you might as well give up now"
    C'mon Charlton!

Season's over lads and lasses!

Great, I can concentrate on the upcoming AFL season instead.
  • Options
    0-1 smash and grab. 
  • Options
    Looking forward to going! New stadium and all.

Think we may draw this...1-1 Bonne (Thatll piss some people off :smiley: )
  • Options
    The "will we make the play-offs" thread has been programmed to deploy within 2 mins of the final whistle. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I think we do have some more than decent players but even though Holden has got us playing more as a team, we are not at the level where you might expect us to win this one. If we did take the lead, I would hope it is late in the game as we will sit on it and they will probably score at some point.

Having said that, Derby have lost and drawn their last two so this could go one of two ways. They could want to put that right or the pressure of their position could be having an effect.

I will say that the more our wide players are in the game, the more chance we have, 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Derby 2 - Charlton 0
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    No wins in Charlton’s last 9 visits to Pride Park. February 1999 2-0 the last win 
    Was this the game when Pringle ran most of the field unchallenged to score ? Only vague recollections 
  • Options
    Looking forward to this game for all sorts of reasons, obviously going to be difficult but nobody is unbeatable in this league, so hopefully we'll catch them on a poor day, 0-1.
  • Options
    Leading 2-1 and Derby equalise in the 99th minute 
  • Options
    Reckon we'll lose, just because i am a dead miserable fucker at the moment and the misery is bound to be compounded...

3-0 to The Rams
  • Options
    We play better against the better teams. Its in our DNA. 0-1 to the Addicks.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Leading 2-1 and Derby equalise in the 99th minute 

... after the fourth official had put up the board saying 3 minutes to be added with no further hold ups due to injuries or substitutions.

When questioned after the match where the additional time had come from the ref said "well, it's a minimum amount of additional time and it's my discretion how much time is to be played. Also the Charlton 'keeper sneezed before taking a goal kick and stopped to blow his nose so I added five minutes extra for that and, well, Derby took longer than expected to score, didn't they?"
  • Options
    Battered for 90 mins and win 1-0 with a late goal from Hector from a corner
  • Options
    2-2 Footie score predictors left hopping mad
  • Options
    Can't see us getting anything out of this. Think we will do better than Motcombe and only lose 4-0