Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Motson RIP

Comments

• Options
    RIP. The best IMO.
  • Options
    Another voice and face from my youth gone. RIP Motty. 
  • Options
    Iconic. RIP Motty. 
  • Options
    RIP - excellent at what he did and seemed like a very decent bloke. 
  • Options
    RIP 
  • Options
    What a legend Motty was , never got the chance to meet him, wish i had, supposed to be a thoroughly nice bloke.
  • Options
    Legend of the game and a gentlemen, RIP. 
  • Options
    Great commentator. Very modest and decent man.

Very sad. RIP
  • Options
    Wasn't his first ever match at The Valley? He did a talk at a screening of a Charlton film years ago at the Greenwich Picturehouse. Seemed like a lovely man.

Dickie Davies this week, Motty today... hope someone's checked in on Des Lynam.
    Legend. Had a soft spot for Charlton.
  • Options
    Pretty upset by this. Voice of football. A genuine legend. RIP Motty and thanks for the great memories. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely gutted. Like many of us growing up back in the day he was THE voice of football. His knowledge of the game was astounding, he puts many of today's commentators in the shade, by a country mile.
    God bless Motty, thanks for the many years of superb commentary.
    RIP sir, my condolences to family and friends.
    A very sad day! X
  • Options
    RIP.  Met him once (complete with coat) and was charming.
  • Options
    For my generation he is the voice of football commentary.  Growing up in the 90s when I first fell in love with the game it was the voice of Saturday night if I was allowed to stay up and watch match of the day, hearing him yell “Cantona” or “Shearer” was iconic to me, and then we reached the prem hearing him say “Rufus” and “Kinsella” was the answer to all my prayers, the moment where I remember thinking wow Charlton are in the big time.

RIP John Motson. 
  • Options
    RIP Motty 
  • Options
    Rest in Peace. A genuine legend of the game. We all wanted to have a go at being Motty when we were growing up! 
  • Options
    Met him a couple of times through work, would have been early 2000s. doing Football Focus. He was very nice, and surprisingly nervous and in need of reassurance just before going on air, when most others doing that stuff are happy to chat/smoke/whatever until a second or two before going live. Apparently when he went away for tournaments one of the producers had to make sure that there was always somewhere nearby that he could get steak and chips. 
  • Options
    RIP motty
  • Options
    RIP.  A true legend of Football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP. Met him at The Valley when we played Fulham in '82 and got him to sign my programme (which I've still got).
  • Options
    RIP Motty. In my head, his is always the commentator's voice. 
  • Options
    A sad day, RIP Motty and thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    absolute legend

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Motty. As so many have said his voice is one of the sounds of football.

It's an odd one but none of the newer breed of commentators have the right "voice" if that makes sense. Probably because the likes of Motson, Moore and Davies were the ones you grew up with.
  • Options
    I've been sitting at my desk, welling up like I've lost someone close to me.
    But when you think of how many games he has commentated on that we've all watched, whether you support the teams playing or not, we've listened to him more than we've listened to anyone else close to us.

If you can stand the adverts every 15 mins, Talksport has had some brilliant stories about him from the likes of Bob Wilson, Mark Lawrenson and Clive Tyldesley this morning.  
  • Options
    RIP Motty
  • Options
    RIP Motty