Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Motson RIP

Comments

• edited February 2023
    RIP to a true football legend.
    When I think of "Motty" I think of a sheepskin coat and Ronnie Radford.

• This is sad.....an iconic part of my childhood and onwards....RIP Motty
  • No news what he died of altho I did see the Prostate Cancer man icon on his coat during one of the T.V tributes.A Sad Day.
  • Very sad. RIP Motty. 
  • Motty was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2014. RIP.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10156635981759474
  • edited February 2023
    One of the best sports commentators with an unmistakeable voice, very sad to hear of his passing.  

He obviously had a soft spot for Charlton, a few years ago we were in the Keith Peacock Suite and he was having a meal there with a large group of friends. 
  • My favourite football commentator and I heard Brian Moore and Kenneth Wolstenholme in my youth.

RIP Motty you were the man when it came to football commentary.
  • As many have said John Motson was the voice of football, RIP John.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP Motty.  All these voices are sadly but inevitably disappearing from our lives.
  • Saw him at a couple of games, and I sat right behind him once at the Old Den when Charlton played there (in the posh seats!).

Football legend.

RIP
  • RIP Motty, hope there is a minutes silence or applause on Saturday.
  • We once had a Evening with John Motson
    at I believe a Bromley CASC do. Still got the ticket and autograph.

Not been agood year so far .  RIP John.
  • RIP Motty,such an iconic voice of commentary…Legend
  • edited February 2023
    Very sad, like someone said earlier some famous peoples passings feel a lot worse than others. I never met him, but one of the fellas on here knew someone who played for his sunday team, surely would have been the ultimate "ringer" when it came to a sports quiz night.

RIP Motty
  • Possibly a fitting tribute would be for The Red Red Robin to be sung as a tribute by all in the Covered end, Curbishley and West Stands. John Motson chose it as one of his Desert Island Disks and I think we know the words!
  • A leg-end in his own lunchtime……a Class act.
    RIP…..John……RIP
  • Amazing to think he crossed about 3 generations of football fans as the voice of the sport.  He will be missed.  RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    RIP 
    Which game was this ? Bristol
    city?
  • RIP. Barely feels like he’s stopped commentating, nobody has replaced him as the iconic voice of major World Cup / England games (least of all effing matterface) and in my mind he is still that. All those major tournaments in the 90s and 00s , he is the voice I hear when I think of world cups AND of fa cup finals when fa cup finals were still the showpiece of the season. 
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glUyMqzQFnA

Remember the segment at 1 minute.....
    RIP Motty, the best of the best.

on another note, what a brilliant atmosphere at a 8205 attendance at the Valley. We were few in numbers but loud and proud. 
  • Rip John Motson.
    Hearing the urgency in his voice no matter which game, always made you sit up feeling like you are witnessing a great event.
    Missing him already...

• Growing up he was the voice of football. He'll be missed. RIP.
  • Preparation was everything. 

John prepared every game on an A4 sheet - what price this Charlton V Middlesbrough?

“I keep a few of them in a pile,” he says, “and when charities ask me for personal mementos, I’ll sign one and send it off – it’s nice to know it can raise £200 for a good cause.”

John's explanation

“It’s not specifically colour-coded, although I do the numbers in green because no team wears green. The different colours are so each bit of information stands out.

"That’s also why I always do the facts on the back of the board in blue, black, green and red. When the game is going on, it’s pretty rare that I look down at the board, but if I do, I need the information to hit me pretty quickly.”

Star names

“A star by a player's name means he’s never scored for the club, so I’m ready if it happens!”

Lining up linesmen

“You always have to check which side of the ground the two referee's

assistants are on – if one of them makes a key offside decision, you have to know their name.”

Team Tinkering

“I write all this out before the game, with what I think the team will be. Quite often you get to the ground, and there’s a late team change – if a player I thought would play in this game isn't in the team, I use a sticker to take his name out.”

Live updates - by pen

“I update the notes during the game too – the Y/C mark stands for yellow card. The ON/OFF obviously means a player has been taken off or come on, but I often find I don’t have time to write that down – the broadcast is often too quick for me to keep up!

"If all possible subs are made (three by each side), that’s 12 names I have to change. At the end of a game, that’s quite a test of my concentration!”

• RIP to a gentleman and a true icon of the game. Seth hit the nail on the head when describing Motty as "The absolute football man in a pre Sky era where football could be both glorious and humble." I doubt that we'll see the like of him or Brian Moore again.

His wife used to help him in his copious pre-match research. Leaving aside the stats, though, what shone through every commentary he ever did was his child-like enthusiasm and sheer love of the game. What a guy.
  • Absolutely loved Motty. I remember there was an event at Charlton, maybe an open day and Motty was there.
    He seemed and I am sure he was a lovely man. I think fans all over the country thought he supported there club such was the warmth of the man. RIP Motty.
  • shirty5 said:
    RIP 
    Which game was this ? Bristol
    city?
    Leeds January 1993
  • Preparation was everything. 

John prepared every game on an A4 sheet - what price this Charlton V Middlesbrough?

“I keep a few of them in a pile,” he says, “and when charities ask me for personal mementos, I’ll sign one and send it off – it’s nice to know it can raise £200 for a good cause.”

John's explanation

“It’s not specifically colour-coded, although I do the numbers in green because no team wears green. The different colours are so each bit of information stands out.

"That’s also why I always do the facts on the back of the board in blue, black, green and red. When the game is going on, it’s pretty rare that I look down at the board, but if I do, I need the information to hit me pretty quickly.”

Star names

“A star by a player's name means he’s never scored for the club, so I’m ready if it happens!”

Lining up linesmen

“You always have to check which side of the ground the two referee's

assistants are on – if one of them makes a key offside decision, you have to know their name.”

Team Tinkering

“I write all this out before the game, with what I think the team will be. Quite often you get to the ground, and there’s a late team change – if a player I thought would play in this game isn't in the team, I use a sticker to take his name out.”

Live updates - by pen

“I update the notes during the game too – the Y/C mark stands for yellow card. The ON/OFF obviously means a player has been taken off or come on, but I often find I don’t have time to write that down – the broadcast is often too quick for me to keep up!

"If all possible subs are made (three by each side), that’s 12 names I have to change. At the end of a game, that’s quite a test of my concentration!”

Ah man, another name stood out from that team sheet.  Ugo Ehiogu.  He's been gone almost 6 years now.