Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Really bad players.

13»

Comments

• Options
    I’m one of those people that generally warms to Charlton players but I’ve not known a squad I’ve held so little regard for. 

Whilst I think Dobson, AMB, Ness and Leaburn should largely be exempt from criticism, I don’t think there’s a single player I’d be truly gutted about if they moved on. 

Great post,

I was only thinking the other day that I am in my 56th year of supporting Charlton and in that time I have witnessed some bad times both on and off the field. However in all those years up until recently we always seemed to have a player that stood out, could turn a game, win it for us, send you home feeling good.

Yet this current crop of players don't have that, I don't even get the feeling they are playing for the club/shirt/badge some times, just going through the motions.

I know it will not change until we get a new owner, and even then there are no guarantee's, we could end up with another chancer running the club. But I do hope we manage to sign or unearth a player or two that excite, thrill and make the crowd proud of them come the final whistle.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Fraser was fantastic adequate until about 5 games ago. Seems to have bodyswapped with Lepoint or something since then. Getting increasingly hard to defend him 
    Penney is a donkey
    Bonne has been handed this season's scapegoat mantle - all the ills of this woefully inadequate squad are laid at his door - that's the CL way
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Leuth said:
    Fraser was fantastic adequate until about 5 games ago. Seems to have bodyswapped with Lepoint or something since then. Getting increasingly hard to defend him 
    Penney is a donkey
    Bonne has been handed this season's scapegoat mantle - all the ills of this woefully inadequate squad are laid at his door - that's the CL way
    Alby gets worse than Bonne as scapegoat in my opinion.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I always hate these discussions.

As someone who was nowhere near good enough to play football at a professional level I don’t like criticising players in this way. Many on here would have criticised Miles’s father back in the day. It is amazing how Carl is now rightly remembered as a legend by many of the same people.
    I thought Carl leaburn was a donkey. I've watched back videos of him and now appreciate what he did. However, I doubt I change my view on Macauley Bonne in 25 years time after watching back videos of him. 
  • Options
    I'd add 90% of the players we've had in the past 2 years to that list. Too many to add 😫
  • Options
    Richard J said:

As someone who was nowhere near good enough to play football at a professional level I don’t like criticising players in this way. Many on here would have criticised Miles’s father back in the day. It is amazing how Carl is now rightly remembered as a legend by many of the same people.
    I thought Carl leaburn was a donkey. I've watched back videos of him and now appreciate what he did. However, I doubt I change my view on Macauley Bonne in 25 years time after watching back videos of him. 
    I'd take Carl Leaburn as he is today over Bonne and reckon he'd still do a better job 🤣
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Richard J said:

I'd take Carl Leaburn as he is today over Bonne and reckon he'd still do a better job 🤣
    Carlo wasn't the best but he was a great target..yes his legs sometimes didn't seem attached to his body but he cared,he tried and kept on trying just like other members of that squad ...you can't see that effort ,spirit and direction into this squad.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Richard J said:

Carlo wasn't the best but he was a great target..yes his legs sometimes didn't seem attached to his body but he cared,he tried and kept on trying just like other members of that squad ...you can't see that effort ,spirit and direction into this squad.
    Loved Carlo.

Quicker than he looked and I cannot think of a player I've seen in all the years I've followed football with better chest control.

Thrown into the top tier at 17 or 18 and helped us survive 4 seasons there.
  • Options
    I’m one of those people that generally warms to Charlton players but I’ve not known a squad I’ve held so little regard for. 

Whilst I think Dobson, AMB, Ness and Leaburn should largely be exempt from criticism, I don’t think there’s a single player I’d be truly gutted about if they moved on. 

Absolutely this @AFKABartram   While my inability to attend is having some impact, I genuinely couldn’t give a stuff about this squad.  I’m disillusioned on every level right down to a petty hatred of our basketball type shorts and socks. I won’t miss a single one of these players apart from Miles and Dobbo. Even then, I feel we laud Dobbo a bit too much just because he’s the best of a very bad bunch and Miles has, well, miles to go to be the finished article. I’ve made a vow not to watch, pay for or be otherwise interested in a match for as long as we have Bonne involved as his re-signing was the straw that finally broke the camel’s back for me after many years of patient tolerance.  That and our continued tolerance of a complete WUM on the site who I’m finding rather tiresome and has a new cause-célebre in Bonne. Childish maybe but everyone has their breaking point and I’ve reached mine. I’m sad to say that I genuinely couldn’t care less until there is a root and branch clear out at the club starting from the top. Apathy rather than anger as the latter is too painful. 
    Fully understand your mindset sb, all I can say to you and all of us who feel the same way is…..KEEP THE FAITH.🤞🤞🤞
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Leuth said:
    Penney is a donkey
    Alby gets worse than Bonne as scapegoat in my opinion.
    Obviously I agree, all the good Morgan does is ignored in favour of the bad. Bonne does very little good and he really pee'd me off after 30 minutes on Tuesday... 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I didn’t realise that our record against bottom half sides was quite as bad as it actually is. It’s astounding… tweets from @ cafcowen below…

Five losses in a row / six losses in seven. Absolutely mad.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    lolwray said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Richard J said:

Loved Carlo.

Quicker than he looked and I cannot think of a player I've seen in all the years I've followed football with better chest control.

Thrown into the top tier at 17 or 18 and helped us survive 4 seasons there.
    Totally agree Len and he had to put up with a fare bit of abuse from supporters too. I seem to remember Clive Mendonca said he was the best strike partner he ever had and I’m pretty certain Paul Williams wouldn’t have scored half the goals he did playing alongside anyone else.
  • Options
    I know I'll get shot down for this and I should start by saying that I do love George Dobson but he does remind me a bit of Jose Semedo. He's brilliant and stand out in a lower/mid table side but I'm not convinced he's the type of midfielder to get us out of this league. 

When we moved on Semedo and got in Hollands and Stephens our midfield became so much more dynamic and effective. There's a reason that combination won this league. My big fear is that there are no players of the ilk of DH and DS that we could tempt to come here with the current car crash of a football club.
    He’s shown enough to know he could play a part in a promotion winning team. Semedo went up with Wednesday (Llera too) after all which showed it’s about the balance and partnerships you have, not just the quality.

Who we can attract depends the ownership situation. If we’re taken over and have some money to spend we could bring in players for a promotion push.
  • Options
    Problem with Dobson is he's almost always covering his plus another position. Whether Clare has wandered out of position, or he's covering Kilkenny or Payne or Morgan or Fraser or Penney or a CB has wandered into midfield so again Dobbo has to cover. 

It's no wonder he's looking creamed most of the time. 

If we get in players that can play their own position and be disciplined in that, Dobson shines. He's shown it this and last season that he can be more than good enough consistently. 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Problem with Dobson is he's almost always covering his plus another position. Whether Clare has wandered out of position, or he's covering Kilkenny or Payne or Morgan or Fraser or Penney or a CB has wandered into midfield so again Dobbo has to cover. 

It's no wonder he's looking creamed most of the time. 

If we get in players that can play their own position and be disciplined in that, Dobson shines. He's shown it this and last season that he can be more than good enough consistently. 

I am starting to think this is the thing with Dobson.  He hardly got a sniff at Sunderland.  He looks good because he has to do so much to do, and by and large does it well.  That puts him in so much credit people ignore or over look his limitations.

I am not suggesting he is a problem or we should "get rid" but I would be shocked if a top have Championship club came in for him in the summer.

It's a sad state of affairs when our best two players, one is on loan from Palace and the other wouldn't get in Millwall's team.
  • Options
    Thuram is the standout for me. Remember watching him in the warmup and couldn't believe how shocking he was..
  • Options
    Take your pick from any of that lot. Be a few contenders in the last 10 seasons 

https://cafcfactsstats.com/heritage-numbers/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Think there is something with these players there, but only enough consistently for lower to mid table league 1. I don't think they have enough drive to play badly and win or put enough in. They may care, but you have to care more than the opposition You're up against and I don't think they do.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I think Carl improved as a player 100 per cent by the early 90s . Prior to that I hoped Andy Jones  or Garth Crooks  ( and neither of them done much ) would partner Paul Williams when I saw the team sheet so wasn’t a big fan  but good on him for the improvements made.
  • Options
    Yohann Thuram must have set a record the day we beat QPR 1-0 at The Valley.

The only goalkeeper in history to have one of the all time worst club performances in a game where he didn’t face a single shot on target and the team won. Remarkable really. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Take your pick from any of that lot. Be a few contenders in the last 10 seasons 

https://cafcfactsstats.com/heritage-numbers/
    Firmini 
    Kinsey 
    Peacock
    Glover 
    Kenning
    All the above players within the first 300 to play for Charlton.

What we could do with one of them now.
    All played on the wing or as a striker.

If the current players played like these we would have no problem.

Keep up the good work @shirty5
  • Options
    First 5 players on that list I saw play for Charlton.