Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thames Water bill query/help please

1235»

Comments

• IdleHans said:
    I’ve just seen this thread and it’s interesting for me as I’ve been querying my Thames Water bill, last month £117.

I do live in London, NW, so probably higher than outside but I live alone and feel my bill is pricey. Of course Thames Water don’t agree and feel as though I’ve hit a brick wall, in where to turn next?

Maybe a water meter is the way forward but presumably I’d have to pay for this myself?
    Water meters should be fitted free. I'm getting one in my place next week. I'm hardly ever there so makes no sense to pay the assessed charge when my water use is virtually nothing. I take it you're getting the single person discount?

Good question, I wonder if this is something they inform customers of or it’s only when you/others point it out that one becomes aware of it?
  • As per my earlier comments, out the blue, got one for over £1200.
    Meter (after being repaired) gave out a reading, and they based it on the meter reading zero when I moved in.
    You really have to battle with them.
  • My experience with the crooks at TW is similar. They've just over billed by almost £1500 on the basis of an 'actual' meter reading they never took. Like you, my meter was covered by soil - took me a while to locate it and I know where it is!
    I cancelled the DD before they ransacked the current account, and they can chase for a good long while before I give them any cash.
  • IdleHans said:
    I’ve just seen this thread and it’s interesting for me as I’ve been querying my Thames Water bill, last month £117.

I do live in London, NW, so probably higher than outside but I live alone and feel my bill is pricey. Of course Thames Water don’t agree and feel as though I’ve hit a brick wall, in where to turn next?

Maybe a water meter is the way forward but presumably I’d have to pay for this myself?
    Water meters should be fitted free. I'm getting one in my place next week. I'm hardly ever there so makes no sense to pay the assessed charge when my water use is virtually nothing. I take it you're getting the single person discount?

Good question, I wonder if this is something they inform customers of or it’s only when you/others point it out that one becomes aware of it?
    I don't believe there is a single person discount.
    Although discounts are available if household income is low.
  • edited June 23
    IdleHans said:

My bill is reduced by 25% for single occupancy. However you only qualify for the single occupier charge if you've tried to have a meter fitted but can't.
  • edited June 23
    IdleHans said:
    IdleHans said:

My bill is reduced by 25% for single occupancy
    Fair enough. I couldn't see that as an option anywhere.
    For council tax yes, but not for water.
  • IdleHans said:
    IdleHans said:

My bill is reduced by 25% for single occupancy
    Fair enough. I couldn't see that as an option anywhere.
    For council tax yes, but not for water.

• I think this may just be your water company?
  • I think this may just be your water company?
    Entirely possible, but it's Thames and they don't give anything much away
  • IdleHans said:
    IdleHans said:

My bill is reduced by 25% for single occupancy. However you only qualify for the single occupier charge if you've tried to have a meter fitted but can't.
    Sorry Idle, but you said you do have a meter?
  • Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:
    IdleHans said:

Sorry Idle, but you said you do have a meter?
    No, getting one fitted this week.
    Couldn't have one previously as on an old shared supply with the pipe having had a kitchen built over the top of it. However, that 100 year old pipe was leaking badly upstream and my neighbours and me have had it replaced with new poly pipe routed differently so that meters can now be installed.
    But to get the lower tariff you do have to have requested a meter and for it not have been possible.
  • I'm on the same thing as when they converted our block into flats they did something weird with the pipe work, so when I requested a meter they couldn't work out which supply was the one coming to my flat.
  • edited June 26
    So...... More than a year after starting this thread about paying £79pm to Thames Water, I'm now up to £88pm for 2 adults living in a standard 3 bed semi. I've been trying to have a meter fitted for more than 2 years. They've visited the property 5 times telling me that they can, then can't, then can, then can't fit a meter outside and, last week, they said they can't fit one inside either. I've now got to the point where the engineer handed me a card stating that a meter cannot be fitted which is my gateway to moving from an incorrect commercial rate to an 'assessed' rate. I will be chasing them shortly to get confirmation of this change and the resultany reduced monthly charge. It's been way more painful a process to conclude than it should have been. 
  • meldrew66 said:
    So...... More than a year after starting this thread about paying £79pm to Thames Water, I'm now up to £88pm for 2 adults living in a standard 3 bed semi. I've been trying to have a meter fitted for more than 2 years. They've visited the property 5 times telling me that they can, then can't, then can, then can't fit a meter outside and, last week, they said they can't fit one inside either. I've now got to the point where the engineer handed me a card stating that a meter cannot be fitted which is my gateway to moving from an incorrect commercial rate to an 'assessed' rate. I will be chasing them shortly to get confirmation of this change and the resultany reduced monthly charge. It's been way more painful a process to conclude than it should have been. 
    Never forgetting that TW is a shameless racketeer - has anyone explained why a meter can't be installed?  They really ain't very big.

That aside should your 'assessed' rate be backdated to when you requested a meter?  Assuming that assessment comes in under £88/mth

Good luck I don't envy dealing with those thieving scum.
  • It generally tends to be an issue where properties have been converted I think, so the water supply going into the building is serving more than one flat, and the configuration of the internal pipe work is such that it's not possible to fit a meter at the source of supply for each individual flat.
  • My meter was put in this morning, took about 15 minutes, but then it's an easy one, external under the round plastic lid in the back garden
  • Water bills in England and Wales are set to rise by an average £94 over the next five years, the water regulator Ofwat has said.

The figure varies by region with Thames customers seeing an increase of £99 or 23%, Anglian £66 or 13% and Southern Water £183, an increase of 44%.

The typical £19 a year increase is a third less than the increase requested by companies and is intended to fund investment for improvements such as replacing leaking pipes and reducing sewage discharges into rivers and seas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyx0jxrq7y4o

• edited August 6
    Thames Water handed a massive fine.

That'll be bills going up again then. No chance of recouping some of the dividends the previous owners helped themselves to. Total scandal.

Happy days.