Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pigeons

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    For some reason I had the theme tune to Dick Dastardly and Muttley as an ear worm all the way home…
  • Options
    Notice how everyone is steering clear of using the name of the other bird of prey to exterminate these pigeons….
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    Notice how everyone is steering clear of using the name of the other bird of prey to exterminate these pigeons….
    Using an eagle to clear pigeons is like taking a bazooka to a knife fight 
  • Options
    A bird of prey could be hired on match days for a few hundred quid and would act as a good deterrent.  It’s not rocket science and I don’t know why we don’t do something about it
  • Options
    In the second half there was a moment where we had nine pigeons in the north east corner, I thought ‘where are the other twenty from the first half?’ Then the group were joined by the others arriving in pairs at regular one second intervals from the south west. The pairs swooped in in perfect symmetry and identical trajectories like an air display team.
  • Options
    I don’t remember there being so many in years past. Is it something to do with the way the pitch is being prepared nowadays that’s encouraging the pigeons?
    It’s probably because they keep watering the pitch before kick off and that will bring worms to the surface. 
  • Options
    Says a lot about how crap our football is that the pigeons are more interesting..
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    In the second half there was a moment where we had nine pigeons in the north east corner, I thought ‘where are the other twenty from the first half?’ Then the group were joined by the others arriving in pairs at regular one second intervals from the south west. The pairs swooped in in perfect symmetry and identical trajectories like an air display team.
    It certainly was an interesting game.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Hate to mention Jimmy Seed, but I met someone whose dad used to work at The Valley during WW2, and he said that JS used to come out of his office with a gun and shoot them. They used to drive him mad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think getting a hawk in is long term answer,  a bit Palace. although a bit of air to air combat blood sport might well be entertaining to some I don’t really want that spectacle taking over from the occasion bit of football. The pigeons will just bugger off until the hawk gets bored. 
    Two choices, either poison the pigeons or get some staff on the playing side who are more mobile than the present waste of time.
    Option 2 for me. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Could a club get fined for failing to control their pigeons?
    I suspect not as they do not belong to us but maybe they could be trained to fly into opponents. That might be suitable for a fine but can it be proved? Are there any pigeon trainers out there?
  • Options
    Use the net from the opposition goal to throw over them, nobody will notice if the net isn’t there given how few attempts at hitting it we have, they’ll think the cobwebs are the net anyway.
  • Options
    Was the problem the same when we had Lucky the Cat?

• Options
    I note some council tips use the peregrine hawk kites - not sure how effective - anchoring on the centre spot could be a problem though.

https://www.peregrinehawkkites.com/bird-control-products-bird-scarer
  • Options
    The club used to regularly have a hawk visit and fly around each of the stands and pitch.

I suspect that this is another cut back
  • Options
    I note some council tips use the peregrine hawk kites - not sure how effective - anchoring on the centre spot could be a problem though.

Just put one near the goal Bonne is attacking.....no danger of hitting it then
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Just put one near the goal Bonne is attacking.....no danger of hitting it then
    That wouldnt work, thats where the Pigeons go to hide.
  • Options
    They are not very bright. They could park themselves in the oppo's penalty area and they can graze undisturbed, if thats what pigeons do, for the whole game.
    I am just waiting for a moggy to take some interest, mind you they are mob handed.
  • Options
    Got to praise the pigeons for their constantly changing formation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember sitting in the covered end and just after half time in every home match this solo pigeon used to do an aerial display then dive down into the drinks and food hall. Got to the stage where the whole of the upper stand used to increase the volume a bit like when the oppo goalkeeper went to take a goal kick and then cheered when it went down the opening. I often wondered what the players thought was going on. Perhaps a question for Curbs on Charlton TV?
    At the end would the crowd chant 'you're shit' or 'don't shit'?
  • Options
    I miss the Valley pigeons.
    In fact, I miss pigeons full stop.
    Hardly any here in West Cork 😞
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I don’t remember there being so many in years past. Is it something to do with the way the pitch is being prepared nowadays that’s encouraging the pigeons?
    It’s probably because they keep watering the pitch before kick off and that will bring worms to the surface. 
    Get some dummy bird of prey and put them on the roof corner of the stands.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Hate to mention Jimmy Seed, but I met someone whose dad used to work at The Valley during WW2, and he said that JS used to come out of his office with a gun and shoot them. They used to drive him mad.
    I think if we gave our current manager a gun, it wouldn’t be the pigeons he would be shooting after recent performances.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    seth plum said:
    The pigeons were great in their flights and swirl and landings and their companionship with each other.
    Had this gentleman giving a running commentary on the pigeons for 90 minutes behind me. Was better than the match tbf
    He’ll probably be doing match of the day next week
  • Options
    Ok here’s the plan, I am setting up next home game. Now if we flood the outside of the ground with treats, the pigeons will bugger off….. 
  • Options
    25p?  Outrageous, It used to be tuppence a bag when I was a lad.
  • Options
    Pigeon pie could end up on the concourse menu, a win win for the club…