Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Soccer A.M.

To finish for good end of this season 

Comments

• Options
    Nothing beats the dance off competitions. One of the most I've ever laughed at something on the tv.

Shame its going but its had its day.
  • Options
    I watched it religiously with Lovejoy & Chamberlain.
    I haven't seen it since Lovejoy left (apart from a couple of watches with Chamberlain in charge, but it just wasn't the same).
  • Options
    I didn't realise it was still on and assumed it finished years ago
  • Options
    Wasn't the same since Lovejoy left , stuff like Showboat is now instantly on Twitter. Caught a couple of the Bullard episodes and it all just felt a bit flat.

But for it to last so long is very good going 
  • Options
    I'm surprised it was still going 
  • Options
    The Geordie Dancer was a classic.
    Every time anyone looks like him on tv/film I mention him.
    Brilliant.

But like others have said, long overdue.
  • Options
    Not forgetting the soccerette sitting with the Coventry fans who had forgotten to put her draws on that morning and gave the viewers a flash when she stood up 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    For Saturday morning viewing it’s still reasonable and watchable. Though does involve a lot of just watching Jimmy Bullard taking penalties, free kicks etc. 

The original format of Soccer AM was very much of its time. Basically a Saturday morning football version of TFI Friday. Now that a lot of the content has been cleaned up, it has been left a bit sterile and simply not very funny. I’d still watch it every now and then though.

That being said - they’ll probably replace it with a longer version of that social media/influencer football show for teenagers that comes on before it and is bloody awful. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Not forgetting the soccerette sitting with the Coventry fans who had forgotten to put her draws on that morning and gave the viewers a flash when she stood up 
    Wasn't she a Charlton fan?

Ooohh Minsey!

The game where if the contestant gets the correct answer a pro takes on the task (one on one, volley, cross bar and freekick i think) wrong and a celeb is pretty entertaining. Shame to see it going even though i haven't watched it for twenty years!
  • Options
    Shame but think it's had its day. I know the girl who played Vicky the barmaid and she got a couple of us in to watch it being filmed once (during the Lovejoy/Chamberlain era).

Once they'd finished filming the bit where the guests had a go at kicking the ball through the hole (they'd all missed), tried it myself and nailed it first time. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    onwards
  • Options
    Had its day. 
  • Options
    It was starting to smell a bit now.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Was this a Charlton girl who showed off her own Valley?
  • Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=AjAC8VP6xSU&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Looks like Coventry fans to me

NSFW obviously
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Once the dream team of Helen & Tim went, gradual decline 
    I started watching it when Max Rushden was on it. Thought he was a great presenter 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never enjoyed it myself 
  • Options
    absolute must watch TV back in the day, was the first thing we discussed in the pub Saturday lunchtime

all good things come to an end
  • Options
    thought it had wrapped up years ago, but agree generally the golden years with lovejoy and chamberlain were fantastic, right at the zenith of those kind of easy watch daytime tv shows. Was something cool to look forward to. I remember when some addicks went on there, that was quite fun.
  • Options

Was ordering a drink at the front bar of the princes on blackheath. Place was packed and very noisy. As I was struggling to get my order across to the barmen I could hear over the near deafening noise Bullard 'bantering' with his mates from right down the back of the pub. Bloke is a walking headache. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    cafctom said:
    For Saturday morning viewing it’s still reasonable and watchable. Though does involve a lot of just watching Jimmy Bullard taking penalties, free kicks etc. 

The original format of Soccer AM was very much of its time. Basically a Saturday morning football version of TFI Friday. Now that a lot of the content has been cleaned up, it has been left a bit sterile and simply not very funny. I’d still watch it every now and then though.

That being said - they’ll probably replace it with a longer version of that social media/influencer football show for teenagers that comes on before it and is bloody awful. 
    Exactly this. As you say, times have changed and tv is less funny for it. Imagine if they tried to wheel out 'freak or unique' now.
  • Options
    For quite a few years, it really was must watch tv and consistently good.

As others have said, once Lovejoy left it started to go downhill (Max Rushden was ok)

if really had a lot of influence outside of tv

Easy! Easy ! Easy !

• Options
    Even the bit where they ask the age of the soccerette and the crew all cheered at whatever the age she was would probably be complained about nowadays. 
  • Options
    Have seen a few shows in recent weeks and if has definitely had its day.  Bullard really is an annoying git. Seemed to be the same gags and segments over and over…and they weren’t funny/entertaining the first time.