Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Soccer A.M.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    It was when Sheephead & Robbie Knox left that it went downhill.
  • Options
    Two blokes sat behind me and my brother in the Covered End one week and won the jackpot and we got chatting to them. Next week they turned up on Soccer AM as guests. They were a band but I don't remember the name. One of them made a joke about taking heroin that did not go down well! Never saw them back at The Valley again. I think they probably just said they were fans to get on the show then came along once so they'd have some knowledge of the club. 
  • Options
    Bloke I used to work with (who is now a wannabe Tory MP 🙄) was best mates with Baby Elvis.
    Remember him being at a drink one night & him turning up and being aghast that Baby Elvis Mum is Sally James 😳😳😳😩😩😩😩 felt proper old 🤣🤣
  • Options
    Even the bit where they ask the age of the soccerette and the crew all cheered at whatever the age she was would probably be complained about nowadays. 
    Wouldn’t even get to that point. The mere suggestion of a soccerette would probably lead to sackings all over the place. 
  • Options
    I remember me and my daughter doing the catwalk each week in the living room.
    We still do occasionally. 
    I also remember getting all excited when I worked out that one of the guys was miming being unwell and the other was scratching so the mystery footballer was Ill/itch.
    Loved the show back then but haven't watched it in years.

• Options
    I liked Fenners but never took to Bullard, seems like a bit of an arrogant sod
  • Options
    Bullard is annoying. 
    Member seen someone so surprised to be voted out of I’m a celebrity 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still watch occasionally. You Know The Drill is decent. Shame it’s going. 
  • Options
    For those interested, Tubes hosts a YouTube channel ,GolfeLife where him and his co presenter Ange play golf against various footballers and other guests. Bullards on it a lot. Boy can play
    I've watched a few and really like it.

https://youtube.com/@TUBESANGEGOLFLIFE
  • Options
    Used to watch it with the kids at my brother's place with his kids before we all piled off to the game.
    All our kids have flown now, some with kids of their own.
    Where did the time go?
    Think we gave up on soccer am when Lovejoy went.
  • Options
    I think it was getting a bit tired but could still have evolved. Maybe by pitting fans of two clubs against each other in football challenges with other content mixed in.
  • Options
    I’m not old enough to remember any of the better versions of Soccer AM. I’m gonna miss it, but I’ll admit it has felt the last few years that it lost any attitude/bite that it had. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Must see TV in it's heyday. First big mistake was replacing Lovejoy with Andy Goldstein - Man Utd "fan" from London. I know Tim was a gloryboy, but a Manure fan from London was such a cliche. Max Rushden was better, but I always thought Fenners should have got the gig straight after Lovejoy.  

When Lovejoy left he took a lot of the scriptwriters with him, which didn't help.

Great memories of our own Suthers and West Sussex Addick doing the catwalk... 

Still use catchphrases from the show, like "Light drizzle", "Lobster, lobster"  and "Northern boys love gravy...".     
  • Options
    Woe is me, just one bad thing after another. First its the Pizza cup disappearing and now Soccer am. 🤔
  • Options
    Pretty much summed up by many posters already because it certainly did lose something when Lovejoy went, but also the internet and vloggers don’t help, there wasn’t a great deal of choice in the 90s early 00s for these type of shows but now you’re loaded with opinions, podcasts, YouTube etc.  Bullard tried too hard to be funny for me, liked Fenners though.  Shame, but probably for the best. 
  • Options
    For those interested, Tubes hosts a YouTube channel ,GolfeLife where him and his co presenter Ange play golf against various footballers and other guests. Bullards on it a lot. Boy can play

The game they play at London Club with Jamie O’Hara is a good one - O’Hara is a good golfer, but also speaks very well during the round of golf about his past problems 
  • Options
    One of my favourites was the ex Arsenal footballer Charlie George taking a penalty. He back heeled harder than most could hit it the proper way and hit the back of the net. And he did twice to prove it was no fluke. I had a quick google but had no luck in finding the clip.

I used to think Lovejoy to be irritating and Chamberlain worth watching. My wife had the opposite view of Chamberlain and hated the laddie culture of the show but I used to make her watch it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I watch these all the time, they’re excellent 
  • Options
    Watch it every Saturday whilst cooking and eating breakfast and doing housework.  It's series linked and sometimes fwd bits if we watch it a bit late if we're not interested in the guests or player interviews but always watch the car park bits and the drills. 

Enjoy it and will miss it. 

Last week on the goals of the week they finished on Sessegnon's goal from the week before. We barely make it on there - for goals or for showboating, but I smile when we do actually make it. 

I cannot bear to watch another cooking programme of a Saturday morning. 
  • Options
    It was only when my missus moved in with me during lockdown that I truly realised how many cooking shows there are on a Saturday morning. Literally 4-5 hours on end just on terrestrial television. Obscene.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    And yep, reports already suggesting that it’s going to be replaced by the ‘Saturday Social’ show aimed at teenagers.

Listening to the likes of ‘Chunkz’ and his influencer mates waffle on about Arsenal and the big six every week on end. No thanks. 

Though for those who do like Soccer AM, or at least what it was - the rebooted Fantasy Football League with Matt Lucas has surprised me with how good it has been since coming back.
  • Options
    Must see TV in it's heyday. First big mistake was replacing Lovejoy with Andy Goldstein - Man Utd "fan" from London. I know Tim was a gloryboy, but a Manure fan from London was such a cliche. Max Rushden was better, but I always thought Fenners should have got the gig straight after Lovejoy.  

When Lovejoy left he took a lot of the scriptwriters with him, which didn't help.

Great memories of our own Suthers and West Sussex Addick doing the catwalk... 

Still use catchphrases from the show, like "Light drizzle", "Lobster, lobster"  and "Northern   
    Ha ha, yeah that was a great memory for me Perry, but so long ago. I know Lovejoy is not everyones cup of tea but he was genuinely a nice bloke. As for Chamberlan, she was a bit miserable to be honest. Really enjoyed mincing up and down with TL and the Blackburn soccerette. I seem to remember that I was way over the top doing it. Good memories mate. I think Soccer AM has had its day and not surprised that it's ending though.
  • Options
    It’s amazing how back in the day I thought it was brilliant yet at the same time though Lovejoy was a complete bellend. Still do!

I know ow we are a similar age and I can't agree with you more.

It went down hill after I was on it ;-)

Afterwards we went into the canteen where the soccer Saturday lads were having a bite to eat.  Bestie looked absolutely hammered.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Not sure Rocket is right there. I really enjoyed the show when it was him along with Lovejoy & Chamberlain.  But you need to remember this was a show going out on a Saturday morning and not after the 9pm watershed. Kids watched with their parents/siblings/friends and I assume that’s why Lovejoy got pulled in by the bosses now & then, more than anything else.