Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What players realistically would you want at Charlton next year...

edited March 2023 in General Charlton
Curious for peoples views but watching the Forest Green game, I wouldnt mind us taking Charlie Savage on loan next year. Looks a decent talent and can really get up & down the pitch.

Whats other people thinking?

Comments

• My knowledge of the lower leagues is rubbish these days.

Need to get back to playing Football Manager more, used to be so much more aware of players (name not necessarily their talent) when playing that a lot more - Was looking at the top scorers from League Two the other day, and was a bit disappointed to see most are in their thirties now.

Macauley Longstaff is probably an obvious name, but bet there are fans from 72-clubs who are thinking the same.

Wont be surprised if he goes direct to the Championship.
  • The number 8 for Accrington, Lee, looked really good a couple of weeks ago and I see he is their top scorer, despite being a midfielder.

Always like Ronan Curtis at Pompey. Got a bit of John Robinson about him, attitude wise.
  • Sorry King Addick, I can't answer that question because the word 'realistically' has totally thrown me. I'm afraid I don't pay much attention to individual players at a level that's realistic for Charlton.  All I can talk about are the obvious ones I see in from of me every week. I'd defiantly want to hold on to Maynard-Brewer, Dobson and Leaburn. I'd be quite happy to hang on to Blackett-Taylor, Clare, Hector and Fraser. I guess that Rak-Sakyi will be plying his trade in The Championship next season, in which case I'm hoping that that's with his contracted team ;). The rest I'm probably not that fussed about.  As for anyone coming in, I think the priority is a goalscorer, but whoever we get I want players who are willing and able to play to a decent level for the vast bulk of the season. I'm tired of us signing injured and inconsistent players. I want to know that every match we're going to put up a fight. 

• Always like Ronan Curtis at Pompey. Got a bit of John Robinson about him, attitude wise.
    Contrary, he gives me Charlie Kirk vibes
  • LTKapal said:

Always like Ronan Curtis at Pompey. Got a bit of John Robinson about him, attitude wise.
    Contrary, he gives me Charlie Kirk vibes

I'm not convinced about Curtis either , not sure he'd be any better than what we have. 
  • Anyone who is willing to give 100 percent and fight hard for his place in the side.
    Dont give a monkeys what else happens on the pitch just show you care.
  • Is this the latest idea of the recruitment team , ditch the black box and ask Charlton Life  :/
  • Gilbey 
  • Good targets to aim for are players who made it into the League One & Two teams of the year, team's player of the year and young player of the year, captains, players who played 30+ games. Obvious but players who scored goals this season not someone from 2+ seasons ago. Free agents that fans would want to keep at there club, can't really name the players to fill these criteria but pretty sure a lot of the Chris Powell summer 2011 signings came from the above criteria.
  • cabbles said:
    Gilbey 
    And his mate at Stevenage, Forster-Caskey.

Those 2 with Dobson would be a decent midfield 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2023
    The thing is, we need a squad so maybe there is a place for certain players as part of that. But we need to bring in better. An example is Morgan. It has looked like it is time for him to go but he could be a useful squad player and we are not going to get any money out of him. I'm sure Holden will have some tough decisions to make.
  • Leaburn
    Hector
  • Anyone who is willing to give 100 percent and fight hard for his place in the side.
    Dont give a monkeys what else happens on the pitch just show you care.
    This
  • edited March 2023
    Ever since I was young and saw Phil Walker tear us apart for Millwall in the 70's I have always kept an eye on opposition players who play well against us, I agree with @kingaddick that Charlie Savage looked excellent against us for FGR and would be a good addition next season if we could get him.

In goal AMB and Wollacott are too good to be competing for the gloves in L1. Reluctantly I think Jo Jo needs to move on.If so we would possibly need a Premier League sub to push AMB next season as I don't think Harness would be a number 2. He needs regular games.Maybe a loan?

In defence I feel Egbo and Kane could be good options at Right Back if both can prove their fitness. At Left Back we need two options. Maybe one that could cover LCB and a LWB. Central Defence I want to see Hector resign and would consider Inniss and Thomas depending on budget and othet cover options.

Midfield. What happens with Albie? Personally I think it might be time to part company. He needs to be playing regularly.

Forward. We need alternative options to Leaburn and at least one left footed winger to replace JRS.

I guess the possible names will emerge over the next few weeks.

• Curious for peoples views but watching the Forest Green game, I wouldnt mind us taking Charlie Savage on loan next year. Looks a decent talent and can really get up & down the pitch.

Whats other people thinking?
    son of Robbie, might mean that we'd get a few more media mentions albeit on the absolute rubbish 'programme' that is 6 0 6
  • Shame you put in the word realistically. Cos I got a feeling Messi might be on a free at the end of the season. 
  • AMB, Wollacott
    Clare, Hector, Egbo
    Morgan, Dobbo, CBT, Campbell
    Leaburn, Kanu
    plus 2 leftbacks, 2 CHs and striker of similar quality to those above
    recruited by the start of preseason Holden then has a chance of turning them into a squad

those I really don't want to see: Penney, Kirk, McGrandles, Aneke, Lavelle, Kilkenny, Payne, DJ
  • I doubt we will lose Aneke next season. Also not sure we can keep AMB and Wollacott. I think you forgot Fraser too who I suspect we will keep. I think we will keep Inniss too. We have to remember that those we are keeping that are currently starters may be decent squad players.
  • Billy_Mix said:
    AMB, Wollacott
    Clare, Hector, Egbo
    Morgan, Dobbo, CBT, Campbell
    Leaburn, Kanu
    plus 2 leftbacks, 2 CHs and striker of similar quality to those above
    recruited by the start of preseason Holden then has a chance of turning them into a squad

those I really don't want to see: Penney, Kirk, McGrandles, Aneke, Lavelle, Kilkenny, Payne, DJ
    Agree with all that but think you still need a decent 1st team winger and midfielder plus an extra 2 for the squad. Another centre forward being one. 

• Sponsored links:

• I've only seen him once but is hector worth keeping? 
    yes, i m o he's a good foil and contrast to Inniss, happy bringing the ball out of defence, good positional player .. my one caveat is that his career record shows he never stays too long anywhere
    yes, i m o he's a good foil and contrast to Inniss, happy bringing the ball out of defence, good positional player .. my one caveat is that his career record shows he never stays too long anywhere
    We are only his 4th professional club...

Reading
    Chelsea
    Fulham.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I've only seen him once but is hector worth keeping? 

Reading
    Chelsea
    Fulham.
    load of bollocks ..

2009–2015Reading54(3)
    2009→ Bracknell Town (loan)3(0)
    2009→ Didcot Town (loan)3(0)
    2010→ Havant & Waterlooville (loan)1(0)
    2010→ Oxford City (loan)6(0)
    2010–2011→ Horsham (loan)11(1)
    2011→ Dundalk (loan)11(2)
    2011–2012→ Barnet (loan)27(2)
    2012→ Shrewsbury Town (loan)8(0)
    2012–2013→ Aldershot Town (loan)8(1)
    2013→ Cheltenham Town (loan)20(1)
    2013–2014→ Aberdeen (loan)20(1)
    2015–2019Chelsea0(0)
    2015–2016→ Reading (loan)26(1)
    2016–2017→ Eintracht Frankfurt (loan)22(1)
    2017–2018→ Hull City (loan)36(1)
    2018–2019→ Sheffield Wednesday (loan)37(2)
    2019–2022Fulham28(0)
    2023–Charlton Athletic

• Cafc43v3r said:

Reading
    Chelsea
    Fulham.
    load of bollocks ..

2009–2015Reading54(3)
    2015–2019Chelsea0(0)
    2019–2022Fulham28(0)
    2023–Charlton Athletic

You know what a loan is? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Reading
    Chelsea
    Fulham.
    load of bollocks ..

2009–2015Reading54(3)
    2015–2019Chelsea0(0)
    2019–2022Fulham28(0)
    2023–Charlton Athletic

You know what a loan is? 
    you are a soppy and argumentative bore .. it's pitiful how you bend the truth to prove a wrong opinion .. now bore off
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Reading
    Chelsea
    Fulham.
    load of bollocks ..

2009–2015Reading54(3)
    2015–2019Chelsea0(0)
    2019–2022Fulham28(0)
    2023–Charlton Athletic

You know what a loan is? 
    you are a soppy and argumentative bore .. it's pitiful how you bend the truth to prove a wrong opinion .. now bore off
    If your using youth loans to prove some ill thought out nonsense hypothesis knock yourself out. 
  • I'd love to get Sam Nombe from Exeter