Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What players realistically would you want at Charlton next year...

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I've only seen him once but is hector worth keeping? 
    yes, i m o he's a good foil and contrast to Inniss, happy bringing the ball out of defence, good positional player .. my one caveat is that his career record shows he never stays too long anywhere
    We are only his 4th professional club...

Reading
    Chelsea
    Fulham.
    load of bollocks ..

2009–2015Reading54(3)
    2009→ Bracknell Town (loan)3(0)
    2009→ Didcot Town (loan)3(0)
    2010→ Havant & Waterlooville (loan)1(0)
    2010→ Oxford City (loan)6(0)
    2010–2011→ Horsham (loan)11(1)
    2011→ Dundalk (loan)11(2)
    2011–2012→ Barnet (loan)27(2)
    2012→ Shrewsbury Town (loan)8(0)
    2012–2013→ Aldershot Town (loan)8(1)
    2013→ Cheltenham Town (loan)20(1)
    2013–2014→ Aberdeen (loan)20(1)
    2015–2019Chelsea0(0)
    2015–2016→ Reading (loan)26(1)
    2016–2017→ Eintracht Frankfurt (loan)22(1)
    2017–2018→ Hull City (loan)36(1)
    2018–2019→ Sheffield Wednesday (loan)37(2)
    2019–2022Fulham28(0)
    2023–Charlton Athletic

You know what a loan is? 
    you are a soppy and argumentative bore .. it's pitiful how you bend the truth to prove a wrong opinion .. now bore off
    If your using youth loans to prove some ill thought out nonsense hypothesis knock yourself out. 
    wish i never bloody asked. 
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I've only seen him once but is hector worth keeping? 
    yes, i m o he's a good foil and contrast to Inniss, happy bringing the ball out of defence, good positional player .. my one caveat is that his career record shows he never stays too long anywhere
    We are only his 4th professional club...

Reading
    Chelsea
    Fulham.
    load of bollocks ..

2009–2015Reading54(3)
    2009→ Bracknell Town (loan)3(0)
    2009→ Didcot Town (loan)3(0)
    2010→ Havant & Waterlooville (loan)1(0)
    2010→ Oxford City (loan)6(0)
    2010–2011→ Horsham (loan)11(1)
    2011→ Dundalk (loan)11(2)
    2011–2012→ Barnet (loan)27(2)
    2012→ Shrewsbury Town (loan)8(0)
    2012–2013→ Aldershot Town (loan)8(1)
    2013→ Cheltenham Town (loan)20(1)
    2013–2014→ Aberdeen (loan)20(1)
    2015–2019Chelsea0(0)
    2015–2016→ Reading (loan)26(1)
    2016–2017→ Eintracht Frankfurt (loan)22(1)
    2017–2018→ Hull City (loan)36(1)
    2018–2019→ Sheffield Wednesday (loan)37(2)
    2019–2022Fulham28(0)
    2023–Charlton Athletic

You know what a loan is? 
    you are a soppy and argumentative bore .. it's pitiful how you bend the truth to prove a wrong opinion .. now bore off
    If your using youth loans to prove some ill thought out nonsense hypothesis knock yourself out. 
    wish i never bloody asked. 
    Sorry but to answer your original question, I would keep him hands down.  I think getting him to sign a contract before the end of the season would be some sort of statement of intent tbh.

A "best" center half, Hector and Ness battling for the other place and Inniss as 4th choice would be very good IMO.
  • Options
    Just looking at out of contract options and found a few realistic ones that I wouldn't mind us signing:

Tyler Blackett - Not played that much football in recent years but would be a good left footed option at the back (which we desperately need), especially if Holden wants to play a back 3 or if we do stick with the back 4 then he'd cover left back and centre back

Kean Bryan - not played much football but similar to Blackett, would fill the much needed left footed defender we have been missing and would be ideal for a back 3, can also cover in midfield

Josh Koroma - Not had a good season at all with Pompey, but has scored goals in the championship before. Could be a way to replace JRS goal threat from out wide (Koroma does play on the left though)

Sam Smith - 15 goals for Cambridge last season, only 6 this year but at 25 still has room to improve. Left footed and could play on the right and replace Rak-Sakyi's goal threat or could be a strike partner for Leaburn

Daniel Udoh - done his ACL this season (so probably one we will 100% sign!) but got 13 goals and 5 assists for Shrewsbury last season. Have been impressed every time I've seen him play but would be a risky one with the ACL injury
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Tyler Blackett - Not played that much football in recent years but would be a good left footed option at the back (which we desperately need), especially if Holden wants to play a back 3 or if we do stick with the back 4 then he'd cover left back and centre back

Having Tyler Blackett and then Blackett-Taylor ahead of him on the left could be quite confusing though
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

Having Tyler Blackett and then Blackett-Taylor ahead of him on the left could be quite confusing though
    Tyler Blackett played for Man United against us in the Youth Cup, amazed how few of their players never "made it".  Saying that Poyet was the second best player on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Panuchete Camara, Jay Stansfield and Alfie May 
  • Options
    A bit obvious and has been mentioned many times before but I reckon Alfie May would be brilliant for us, been about a bit but looks brilliant at times and he’s local lad to us , we be a bit a like when we signed Ricky Holmes, not someone who could play above this level but a real game changer i
  • Options
    Remember Kean Bryan being mentioned a couple of years ago as a loan target from Sheffield United. Ended up on loan at Bolton instead. 

I'd be looking for a quality winger definitely , even with the emergence of Campbell I think we need to address that - I don't expect to ever see Charlie Kirk in a Charlton side again anyway and JRS will go back. 

Could look at Antony Scully at Wigan again as an option for that role - but if they come down I'd expect him to be mainstay for them regardless of financial issues. 

2 strikers for me would be a must even if we do hold onto Miles or get him loaned back - would give the flexibility to then loan out Daniel Kanu to League 2 to get some games in him (much like Karlan Grant went to Crawley). However all the top scorers in League 2 seem to be journeymen that have hit a purple patch, so I'd expect it to be someone on loan or someone from a championship side that's short of minutes. 
  • Options
    Tyler Blackett signed for Rotherham a few weeks ago until the end of the season.
  • Options
    Colby Bishop, but fat chance unless we're taken over, or maybe Jerry Yates if Blackpool get relegated. We need a real presence and talisman. Centre back to replace Innis who is a liability and just not a footballer. And proper cover in midfield  but they are golddust sadly. Maybe Norwood of Sheffield utd if they go up and he's surplus to requirements. But none of these will come if we're piss poor still!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Colby Bishop and Alfie May are 2 we should have brought in last summer if we had any ambition of getting out of the league, Bishop is way out if our league now.

Tommy Leigh at Accrington is class and is going to probably get a decent move to the level above. Sam Nombe and Jevani Brown at Exeter as well as Jay Stansfield are all players who would hugely improve any side they go to, I was gutted Tim Dieng went to Gillingham as he is another very good player Exeter allowed to flourish. 

Michael Hector has improved however we still have a problem at centre half in that none of ours can pass the ball. To challenge next season we need to keep Maynard-Brewer, Dobson, Leaburn, Ness, Campbell, Egbo if he can remain fit could be crucial as Sean Clare as the engine room.of midfield could be really important. Scott Fraser is a 1 in 3 player, he has a really high ceiling and I love watching him when he decides he fancies it but he needs to set a standard and hit it 8 games out of 10. I won't be fussed if someone takes him off us which is regretful as he is a game changer but is anonymous way too often to ensure if we rely on him we will end up in the middle of the league rather than the top end of it 

We need a centre half who can pass the ball, a 40 game a season left back and right back if Egbo can't become robust. 

Who we bring in to play up front will tell us all if the club/owner has any ambition to get out of the league. 
  • Options
    Dreaming here but Id love us to get Ricardo Santos....he's a cut above this league in my opinion.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Dreaming here but Id love us to get Ricardo Santos....he's a cut above this league in my opinion.

Santos just looked like a championship player against us. If Bolton don't go up , he'll have no shortage of admirers in the championship. Same with Aaron Morley their CM that scored the freekick and Dion Charles. 

But all 3 were players that they got for low fees (I think Santos was from Barnet after coming through at Peterborough and not quite making the grade , Morley was in a relegated Rochdale side and obviously Charles had caused us plenty of problems partnering Colby Bishop for Accy) 

• Options
    Carter said:
    Jevani Brown at Exeter
    No thanks, he's currently dealing with an assault charge

Its why he didnt play against us, and hasnt appeared for Exeter since either

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/exeter-city-player-jevani-brown-8232361
  • Options
    I don’t think I can name a single player from another team in our league other than ex Charlton 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    It’s the next Santos we need to find. Bolton’s recruitment has taken them from L2 to the L1 playoffs, while we’ve paid fees for the likes of Kirk and Lavelle who we’ve loaned out.
  • Options
    Dion Charles from Bolton but probably out of our price range
  • Options
    best to wait and see who goes/is retained and if we get a 'hint' in early summer of what money is available for fresh blood before making a wish list  .. I am not banking on the 'hint' though
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I would take a punt on Mo Eisa at MK Dons.. Not sure how sound an investment that would be (get that pun out of the way)
    He had a decent scoring record at Posh and still scoring for a struggling Dons team.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I’m also a fan of Mo Eisa but can only see him leaving if MK go down.

Ryan Tafazolli looked a solid CB for Wycombe on Sat (always thought he looked good for Peterborough previously too).

Cameron Brannagan is the best CM in the league but will go to a higher division & I also thought Owen Dale looked technically above anyone on the pitch when we played Pompey.

Wigan’s Stephen Humphrys (currently on loan at Hearts) is another worth keeping tabs on. Will score 1 in 3 at this level as he showed when previously at Rochdale. Could definitely be available in the summer with Wigan in financial difficulty.

Lastly, Matt Sorinola would be a great winger to bring in if he becomes available in the summer (doesn’t always start for Swansea so they may not turn his loan into a perm). Was very good for Mk Dons in this league a couple of seasons back.

The above is the type of quality we need to get out of this league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mo Eisa, I think will be judged in the same way Bonne is. They are both players that don't offer much of they are not scoring and I dont think a lot of our fanbase has much patience for that. Agree though, he is a goalscorer and will improve the squad assuming he has sorted his fitness out 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Stig said:
    Sorry King Addick, I can't answer that question because the word 'realistically' has totally thrown me. I'm afraid I don't pay much attention to individual players at a level that's realistic for Charlton.  All I can talk about are the obvious ones I see in from of me every week. I'd defiantly want to hold on to Maynard-Brewer, Dobson and Leaburn. I'd be quite happy to hang on to Blackett-Taylor, Clare, Hector and Fraser. I guess that Rak-Sakyi will be plying his trade in The Championship next season, in which case I'm hoping that that's with his contracted team ;). The rest I'm probably not that fussed about.  As for anyone coming in, I think the priority is a goalscorer, but whoever we get I want players who are willing and able to play to a decent level for the vast bulk of the season. I'm tired of us signing injured and inconsistent players. I want to know that every match we're going to put up a fight. 
    Not a fan of Ness then?
    He’s top of my list, with AMB, Egbo, Dobbo, Leaburn, and maybe Hector. Oh and Campbell possibly. 
    After that Inniss, CBT, Clare and Fraser as squad players.  Thomas might join them if he performs in the remaining matches. But I wouldn’t be too worried if any of those five left, depending on the replacements. (And Inniss would be very hard to replace in terms of aerial dominance).
    Sam Nombe from Exeter I rate.
    We also really need a right sided midfielder, big time. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    kodfish said:
    Dion Charles from Bolton but probably out of our price range
    Have it on good authority from a source he Was promised promotion by Bolton by end of 23/24 season so, probably out of our reach until at least then

left field name suggestion but I’d love to see George Maris for us as a progressive central midfielder.
  • Options
    I doubt we will lose Aneke next season. Also not sure we can keep AMB and Wollacott. I think you forgot Fraser too who I suspect we will keep. I think we will keep Inniss too. We have to remember that those we are keeping that are currently starters may be decent squad players.
    I didn't forget Private Fraser, I'm just not bothered about keeping him.  At the wages he's on his ROR is poor, he's too wheezy and slight.  In his time with us he's not come close to that performance against us for Ipswich a coupla years ago.  He's 28 tomorrow so ought to be at his career peak physically.  He's streets ahead of Payne & Kilkenny but if we're looking upward I don't see him as a first choice starter, week in week out and that's where the baseline has to be for building a squad to challenge and bring the crowds.
    I also doubt we'll be able to offload A&Eke.  His ROR makes Fraser look like the bargain of all time!!  
  • Options
    I would like us to sign Tyreece John Jules from Arsenal. Currently on loan at Ipswich. 
    He signed a contract when he was 18 for an undisclosed period of time, but as he is now 22 I guess that this is up this summer. He had huge potential that has not been realised as yet, but these are the sort of players that other teams pick up, develop and make a fortune on. 
    I think he would be perfect with Leaburn and has that pedigree to be a very good player and would do well with us.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Good targets to aim for are players who made it into the League One & Two teams of the year, team's player of the year and young player of the year, captains, players who played 30+ games. Obvious but players who scored goals this season not someone from 2+ seasons ago. Free agents that fans would want to keep at there club, can't really name the players to fill these criteria but pretty sure a lot of the Chris Powell summer 2011 signings came from the above criteria.
    You mean like Kirk, Lavelle, McGrandles, MacGillivray, O'Connell, Gilbey?

There is no criteria that's anything close to sure fire success, else everyone would try and sign exactly the same players.

Morrison and Yann are two examples of players who's previous clubs fans would have "driven them here themselves".  BWP had only shown any real goal scoring form for 4 months before we signed him.

You wont ever get the recruitment right until the manager gets a significant input in to, not necessarily whom, but what he wants.  Especially at league 1 level you need to be very clear on what you want the player to do, not just that he is a decent player.

Kirk it can be argued was the right type of signing but never played to his strengths as I seem to recall we were playing systems and styles of play that probably didn't suit him. Doesn't mean he wasn't the right type of player just not utilized the same way as played at Crewe. It can be argued maybe he's dropped off since leaving Crewe due to personal reasons but I don't think anyone argued him being a good signing at the time.

Lavelle i'll give you that one because he seemed to be the right type of signing at the time, similar to when we signed Matt Taylor.

McGrandles I don't recall him meeting any of the criteria I laid out, never been a player of the year and not sure if he ever made a League one/two team of the year? could be wrong though but if he did i'll give you that one too. Never felt he was a good signing at the time to be fair.

MacGillivray was Pompey player of the year started decent enough for us, wasn't great but wasn't poor either but could definitely be improved upon and has been with AMB.

O'Connell was Rochdale player of the year, seemed okay but lots of our fans seemed horrified on deadline day that he was sold so maybe the jury will always be out on him?

Gilbey was MK Dons player of the year 18/19 and we signed him a year later in 2020 so doesn't meet the criteria. 

I understand the point you make about recruitment and it's a very fair one but would probably say some unfair names listed to make your point but i'd still say you'll get far more right than wrong going for the types of players I mentioned. You could list out most of the Chris Powell team barring Yann and Morrison as you say which met that type of criteria.
  • Options
    I’ve always liked Alex Gorrin from Oxford, he is 29 now tho, so not ideal for building a young side but undoubtedly good at this level. Gives midfield a good balance with Dobbo destroying.

Dan Happe from Leyton Orient as a left footed CB. Looked really good for them last year but got an injury that put him out for a while. 

Sam Nombe up front from Exeter. Brilliant season so far and has the quality to move forward, if we play Holdens preferred 352 he would work well with Leaburn I think. Would be expensive tho from the quality he’s shown! 
  • Options
    With Oxford in freefall attacking midfielder Cameron Brannigan would be worth a look at.
    He’s been  at Oxford a good few years now, decent strike record and may fancy a move particularly if they were to be relegated.
  • Options
    Bump.

Is this the best thread to start this summer's discussion?
  • Options
    Would still love Stockton, whilst we are a League 1 club