Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best right-back we've ever had?

Comments

• Options
    Move Gomez to RB and put Semi Ajayi at CB. Was in our academy but didn’t play for the first team.
  • Options
    In my time Luke young, Gregg shields and Frazer richardson 
  • Options
    John Humphrey. 
  • Options
    John Humphrey 
  • Options
    Being exact I'd go for Konsa - balanced / superb ball control/ always focussed.
    Answering a more interesting question. The worst RB seen at the Valley has to be Jock Campbell ( late 40s/50s ) Became a cult figure - was constantly blowing stuff from his nose / could kick the longest distance which he always did if winning the ball / had a tackle which was never less than fearsome.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    lolwray said:
    Still playing..Simon Francis 

Ever ..John humphries 

Who?
    Right back, played alongside Peter Shirkliff
  • Options
    John Humphrey was obviously a very good player for us but I can’t see how you have him over Luke Young, England international and captain of our most successful post-war team. 
  • Options
    Answering a more interesting question. The worst RB seen at the Valley has to be Jock Campbell ( late 40s/50s ) Became a cult figure - was constantly blowing stuff from his nose / could kick the longest distance which he always did if winning the ball / had a tackle which was never less than fearsome.
    Wingers only went past Jock once. 
  • Options
    John Hewie, Billy Bonds, John Humphrey.
    Hard to separate those three.
  • Options
    The player we sold to Arsenal was Carl Jenkinson
    My best right back is John Humphrey,should have been capped
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Humphrey for me as well.
  • Options
    Humphrey.
  • Options
    Luke Young - absolutely outstanding for us 
  • Options
    john humphrey when he had Robert Lee in front of him
  • Options
    Bob Curtis .. 
  • Options
    Mills for me..
    More for his impact when he arrived. Was a big part of the push to the prem.
  • Options
    John Humphrey.
  • Options
    John Humphrey with out a doubt
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    John Humphrey … Close the poll
  • Options
    John Humphrey without a doubt - best pair of full backs JH and Mark Reid - best penalty taker Mark Reid with Bob Curtis close by
  • Options
    Ezri Konsa first played at right back, as did Joe Gomez. But John Humphrey by a country mile.
  • Options
    Danny Mills and Luke Young were both excellent for us, but neither of them were in the same class as John Humphrey.

I think the great Peter Cordwell, once described his a 'purring Rolls Royce of a player', and he a was different level for us, and the only player I ever saw give him trouble was absolute peak, John Barnes, in 1988 at Selhurst, when Barnes won POTY for the division, and Liverpool won their first twenty odd games. 
  • Options
    Bielik in at CB and Konsa to RB
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I would say Luke Young, played consistently in the premier league for us, which saw our best ever finish. England call up. Very underrated by our fans. 
    Very solid and decent crosser 
    I am too young to remember John Humphrey play.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    John Humphrey without doubt. Should have got an England cap. Also Luke Young was a very underrated player who was very consistent in our PL days 
  • Options
    Djiksteel is your best bet I reckon

(Get Karlan Grant in on the bench over the snake Taylor)
  • Options
    Humphrey is the correct answer to the title.

The actual question, who is the best current right back who has played for us is harder.  For FIFA/Football manager type things the answer might actually be Sessegnon.  

Left field the lad we released and ended up at Bournemouth? 
  • Options
    Danny Mills