Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best right-back we've ever had?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    John Humphrey for me - class 
  • Options
    jenkinson

• Options
    If your answer isn’t John Humphrey then sadly you are wrong.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited April 2023
    Luke Young and Chris Solly were the best right backs, I watched in Charlton teams.
    Jenkinson showed great promise before heading off to Arsenal - wished he could have stayed and developed at Charlton, so we saw the best of him.
  • Options
    Weve had some good right backs 
    From memory and in the best order I can give 
    John Humphrey  
    Luke Young
    Danny Mills  
    Chris Solly
    Fraser Richardson 

What you have to remember with John Humphrey is he played in the same time as some really, really good full backs that England could pick from who also played for fashionable clubs. Young and Mills were worthy of their places in the England squad but as bitter as I was about them being dropped for Neville the moment he was fit was misguided, Neville was miles better than both of them defensively 
  • Options
    Being exact I'd go for Konsa - balanced / superb ball control/ always focussed.
    Answering a more interesting question. The worst RB seen at the Valley has to be Jock Campbell ( late 40s/50s ) Became a cult figure - was constantly blowing stuff from his nose / could kick the longest distance which he always did if winning the ball / had a tackle which was never less than fearsome.
    Isawcampbellplay

He played 255 games for Charlton so couldn’t have been that bad.  I like the story recounted by Ian Wallis in The Valiant 1000.

Jock toured Turkey with Charlton in May 1949 where they encountered very aggressive and unruly crowds and some quite frightening situations.  Before their match against Fenerbahce, it became known that two of the opposing players were currently serving jail sentences, but were being let out specifically to play in this prestigious match.

One, the outside left, had only recently been imprisoned for stabbing a man to death and there was considerable speculation within the Charlton camp as to how his personal battle with their dour Scottish right back would pan out.

Five minutes into the match the convict broke through but Jock held his ground and in the ensuing collision saw him fly head first over his shoulder and land on the bone-hard ground.  He was carried off on a stretcher, still unconscious and on his way back to jail.  Charlton won the match 3-0 with two goals from Charlie Vaughan and one from Jimmy D’Arcy.