Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best right-back we've ever had?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure how so many people can say John Humphrey when we've had Danny Mills and Luke Young.

Young played in a much better Charlton side, played his entire career (apart from 1 game) in the PL and played for England.
    Mills played in a Leeds side that reached the Champions league semi finals, and played for England quite a few times, including being our right back at the 2002 World cup.

How is anyone claiming Humphrey was better than either of them?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    lolwray said:
    Still playing..Simon Francis 

Ever ..John humphries 

Who?
    The bookie fella who used to sponsor Charlton a bit and be in the directors box 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Humphrey is the correct answer to the title.

The actual question, who is the best current right back who has played for us is harder.  For FIFA/Football manager type things the answer might actually be Sessegnon.  

Left field the lad we released and ended up at Bournemouth? 
    Very left field because Jordan Zemura is a left footed left back.
  • Options
    Not sure how so many people can say John Humphrey when we've had Danny Mills and Luke Young.

Young played in a much better Charlton side, played his entire career (apart from 1 game) in the PL and played for England.
    Mills played in a Leeds side that reached the Champions league semi finals, and played for England quite a few times, including being our right back at the 2002 World cup.

I think because the others played in a better team it made it easier for them to play, if that makes sense.
    Humphrey  was very consistent for us and he played a long while in a good palace team. 
    I always thought he was much under rated and because he played for an unfashionable club and palarse he never really got the rewards he deserved.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

The actual question, who is the best current right back who has played for us is harder.  For FIFA/Football manager type things the answer might actually be Sessegnon.  

Are you talking about Simon Francis? 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Very left field because Jordan Zemura is a left footed left back.
    I knew he was a full back but couldn't remember which side, can he play right back?  Being "wrong footed" hasn't stopped us in recent seasons. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Are you talking about Simon Francis? 
    Jordan Zemura 
  • Options
    Luke Young
  • Options

100% Humphrey the best I have seen in that position for Charlton, gutted when he left, especially as it was to that lot who play at Shithurst Park - how he didn’t play for England I will never know - excellent player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Foxycafc said:
    Luke Young. I think he's still young, so maybe not retired, but probably is (in fact definitely is). But he's still Young. Does that count?
    Nah he's still playing. At Plymouth and is now a midfield marauder 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Young_(footballer,_born_1993)
    He's now playing at Wrexham
    At 62?  He doesn’t look it. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    lolwray said:
    Still playing..Simon Francis 

Ever ..John humphries 

Who?
    Right back, played alongside Peter Shirkliff
    Certainly wasn’t Humphries
  • Options
    Terry Naylor was okay... Yes Luke Young too but I think  Humprey was probably the best overall. 
  • Options
    Luke Young the best right back in the best Charlton team I’ve seen.
  • Options
    Marco Motta
  • Options
    Brownie12 said:
    Only one winner - Reuben Omojola Folasanje Agboola
    Come on, we lost every single time he played :-)
  • Options
    Luke Young was good in his last 3 seasons ; less so before that.  I think the pre injury Chris Solly was as good as we have seen, albeit in league one. 

A wild card but Gary Rowett played right back against Liverpool at home in a 2-0 win; first class .  
  • Options
    I thought Gary Rowett was excellent for us in the brief period before his injuries finished him. Rowett, Rufus, Fish and Powell should have been a brilliant back four but only half of it was ever fit.
  • Options

Using the same logic Djimi Troare was our best left back. He was a Champions League winner.

Seriously though, all three were great players but JH edges it for me. 
  • Options
     Apparently Francis Jeffers was one of our better strikers as scored more top flight goals for us than Derek Hales 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reuban Agboola
  • Options
    John Humphrey.
  • Options
    Trevor Edwards - invented the role of the attacking right back in the late 50s early 60s period
  • Options
    John Humphrey 
  • Options

John Humphrey by a long way. Overlooked by England back in the day when he should have been at least called up by Bobby Robson. 

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Marco Motta
    Decent player and very calm on the ball. 

John Humphrey for me. Had so much drive and was a major attacking threat in a team that sometimes struggled for momentum (against good opposition). 

Don't know if this link will work but it shows a typical John Humphrey cross on the run and a neat header from Andy Jones. I was behind the goal that day and one of very few good days that season. Man City 1 Charlton 2 Feb 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD09q9dV8ac

• Options
    He played at a time when it was always 4-4-2. Humphrey would have excelled in today’s game given his particular strengths. Would have been an excellent wing back.
  • Options
    I always rated Rueben Agboola.
  • Options
    Probably John Hewie but I loved Billy Bonds.