Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion | Easter Monday 10th April 2023 | KO 3.00 PM

Burton visited the Valley this Easter Monday holiday but failed to make an impression early on, as Charlton put them to the test almost immediately. On 7 minutes, Jen Rak-Sakyi scored a brilliant goal, bursting into the box, hesitating, feinting left, then turning to shoot on his right foot from the centre of the box, past former Charlton keeper Craig MacG and into the bottom left of Burton's goal. Only ten minutes later, Rak-Sakyi struck again, this time favouring his trusty left boot to slide the ball under the keeper having got on the end of a Scott Fraser through-ball into the box.

Charlton were happy bunnies and cruising into half time when the all too familiar lapse in concentration gifted Burton an opportunity. A speculative high ball into the box was not dealt with by a charging Ashley Maynard-Brewer, who failed to keep a hold of the ball as he attempted to pluck it out of the air over the back of Michael Hector and the Burton's Hughes was able to take advantage and poke the ball into the back of the net, giving a hapless Burton a life line right before half time. 

A scrappy second half allowed Burton to find a foothold and pose the question, could we see their resurrection? They pressed with a renewed enthusiasm that was quickly undone when McCauley Bonne scored on 50 minutes to make it 3-1. One would think Charlton were free and clear at that point, but we do like to invite pressure and, true to the form of this season, the Addicks conceded a second goal on 76 minutes to make the final fifteen minutes a little less comfortable. This was compounded when substitute Jack Payne quickly collected two yellow cards and saw red after a series of rash challenges. Still, the Addicks saw it out and claimed all three points.

Charlton 3 Burton 2

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds good to me. Up the Addicks!
  • Options
    Brilliant goal by JRS….
  • Options
    Thought all in all we controlled most of the game and were the better team. Responded well from the first goal we conceded, and maybe half time helped with that - but really struggled after the second one. 

We’ve scored the 5th highest amount of goals all year, yet sit 13 points from play offs. Unless we can start keeping clean sheets, then we won’t be much better off next season.

I think all in all the defence we had out there today was relatively solid. But we just seem to fall asleep and either concede a very sloppy goal, or from a set piece. I guess maybe it’s a coaching issue more than a quality of player issue?
  • Options
    Six youngsters on the pitch by the end of the game, they did well to see it out. 
  • Options
    I said it in the match thread, but the lack of physicality in our team after we made the subs was truly pitiful.

Morgan, Henry, Payne, JRS, Campbell and Bonne. You wouldn't want to be relying on any of those to stand firm with you in amongst the much and bullets in the trenches !
  • Options
    Some odd marks in the player marks thread, not sure whats worse giving AMB a 7 or Payne a 6!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The question asked on match thread, what was the attendance, 12,788 including 222 away fans
  • Options
    Some odd marks in the player marks thread, not sure whats worse giving AMB a 7 or Payne a 6!
    Giving Payne the same mark as Inniss even. Consider me successfully triggered 
  • Options
    Not the wisest decision to take off 100% of your midfield. Would like to hear the reason for that. Who's going to carry the water bottle from the starting 11. 
  • Options
    Hector and Rak-Sakyi equally important today.  Rak-Sakyi irreplaceable though.   
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I can’t remember the last time I saw a team less deserving of 2 goals at the Valley!
    I'm sure we've been less deserving on many, many occasions!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Innis was awful. Thought our wingers did very well as did Albie.

my major gripe was what was payne doing with that second tackle? he knew he was on a yellow then he does that shit. no excuse. 
  • Options
    Should have been so much better and far more comfortable. We would really be in trouble without Rak-Sakyi's goals this season. Why oh why, do we spend so long playing the ball around the back? It ends up being hoofed up-field under pressure more often than not after seven or eight passes. We have to learn to play it out more quickly and spend more time in possession in midfield rather than defence. 
  • Options
    The subs made a difference for us, and not in a good way. Both Payne and Henry showed why they're not starting matches, while Kane's positioning was weird.
  • Options
    Was concerned when Dobson and Fraser went off relatively early in the second half. That gifted midfield possession to Burton.
    Otherwise a decent enough game in that we had some pretty decent moments. Burton’s game plan was to get it forward and hope for long throws and corners. Our defending from set pieces is a concern. Another free header for their goal and they repeated the move a few minutes later.
    Don’t know if anyone else agrees but their number 7, Joe Powell was superb I thought. A very good player who I’d love to get next year based on today’s performance.
  • Options
    Hector and Rak-Sakyi equally important today.  Rak-Sakyi irreplaceable though.   
    Have faith in Aneke! He'll be coming back to score just as many in 10 minutes here and there!
  • Options
    Thought Innis was awful. Thought our wingers did very well as did Albie.

my major gripe was what was payne doing with that second tackle? he knew he was on a yellow then he does that shit. no excuse. 
    This is bait, right? I um I uh I guess I've taken it already. Damn
  • Options
    Sat in Dubai watching the stream. At the end that excellent 'Addicks to Victory' song with the stuff about a vlesn sheet win. Crazy man!
    Those who wanted the youngsters to have a go are getting their wish. Three points. That'll do for tonight.