Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion | Easter Monday 10th April 2023 | KO 3.00 PM

Comments

• Options
    Crikies AMB, that attempted collection reminded me of the opposition goalie. Keep that to a minimum please!
  • Options
    nice win for us
  • Options
    Thought Innis was awful. Thought our wingers did very well as did Albie.

my major gripe was what was payne doing with that second tackle? he knew he was on a yellow then he does that shit. no excuse. 
    Inniss was excellent I thought, but not as good as Hector. (Although my view from the Covered End isn't as good when he's defending the JS Stand goal). They're forming a really good partnership, that could be a very solid base for us next season. Inniss wins so much in the air, and has done all season. Ness is perhaps technically better, but isn't so strong aerially. Hector was imperious in the first half at least. A joy to watch.
    I thought the first half, barring Ashley's mistake, was one of the best of the season. We moved the ball very quickly and every one was on it, even Bonne. Rak Sakyi's first goal was one of those that got double applause. One after the goal, and one when he got back to the half way line for the restart. He'll miss us if and when he leaves.
    Dobbo took a knock in the second half, and I was wondering if that was why he went off? As @altrinchamaddick said, what a poor midfield we had when it consisted of Morgan, Payne and Henry. We need at least three much better midfielders if we want promotion. They just invited pressure, and was almost surprised to see that we held on for the win in the end. Having said that, Burton weren't great, although Deji did ok.
    13 points from the last six games is decent. Play-offs here we come!

• Options
    For the second home match in a row, I decided I couldn't be bothered to go. This time I was pleased. Hopefully poundland pele (Payne) is shipped out this summer. Never rated him and he refuses to prove me wrong.
  • Options
    I think it's worth looking at the results against the top seven sides to see where we are as a squad. Great results against Derby, Plymouth and the late late comeback against Ipswich under Garner, then two draws against Peterborough under Holden. Eight points from a possible 18, with Ipswich next Saturday, in every game apart from those already mentioned we have been a poor second. We have a nucleus but there is much to do as Holden has pointed out, I think most people on here would agree, a left back and a forward is a priority but we also have to find someone to replace R S's goal tally which is exceptional for a winger. 
  • Options
    First time at the Valley for months. Enjoyable afternoon, especially the first half. Particularly impressed with Hector and Campbell in the second half. 
  • Options
    I take it we don’t have goal line technically at The Valley, the Lino didn’t signal for a goal and the ref gave the goal from a long way out. I’m not sure if it had crossed the line for their second.
  • Options
    Agree - we have a plethora of physically meek midfielders in the squad. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    cabbles said:
    Off_it said:

Feel sorry for Payne. He has been named in the team (or as sub) for every one of our games this year - even the PJT ones. Shame he won't get to keep his run going, particularly as I'm not sure the first tackle he got booked for was a foul.  

I think you've just summed up why we've been so bad. The fact Payne has been involved in every game and still can't command a starting place despite the shite season we've had , kinda sums us up. 

Unfortunately he offers very little.
    We should never have signed him if we were serious about going up.  As a result and because we’re a fairly tolerant bunch, we have discussions about how much of a shame it’s been for him or how he was under Garner versus Holden.  It’s not just him.  We’re still having the same debate about Inniss, Morgan, Terrell Thomas has come into the starting XI recently, yet this was a guy released by Crewe last season.  

I think these players are hard working and try their best, it’s just that because we’ve been so poor, they get a look in, when in reality, I’m not sure who of Ipswich, Plymouth and Sheff Wed would even want them as squad players.  

There are a couple of players we should keep for next season, but even the likes of Fraser has question marks above him.  Aside from Leaburn, Dobson, JRS we can’t say for certain any of the rest have it in them.  
    Honest question, do you think the current first team, of which 8 or 9 have played most of the last half dozen games, would beat Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday's reserve teams?   If you do, surely they would have them as "back ups".

Take two or 3 of them out again and we would be losing to the likes of Fleetwood again.  

Our "best 11" would probably finish about 8th, which obviously isn't good enough, our second 11 would get relegated by Christmas.  You can improve from 8th to 4th and above with 4 or 5 players but not if the back ups are non league or league 2 at best standard, which they have been. Or kids playing out of position.

What we don't have is a Bannan, Yann, Cullen, Aribo type that is too good for the league.  Maybe if Leaburn and JRS had started the season at Christmas we would have.  We need to find 1 or 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I take it we don’t have goal line technically at The Valley, the Lino didn’t signal for a goal and the ref gave the goal from a long way out. I’m not sure if it had crossed the line for their second.
    I thought exactly that. The ref was outside the area,facing the goal and he gave the goal despite the lino standing with his flag down? Not saying it didnt cross the line but weird how the ref could see from where he was that it had definately crossed the line. Aside from that, christ, we made that so much harder for ourselves, absolute howler from Maynard Brewer for the 1st goal, i think he mustve been bored shitless and just thought "I'll liven this right up". Bonne,despite myself,actually played well today and i dont think he was offside once. That was special work from Payne,ran around like a man possessed,booting anything that moved,well,anything except a football and it was no surprise he saw red. Ref was the best we've seen this season imo. Lastly, a deserved 3 points and still sitting here wondering how the hell Burton managed to score twice.
  • Options
    I thought exactly that. The ref was outside the area,facing the goal and he gave the goal despite the lino standing with his flag down? Not saying it didnt cross the line but weird how the ref could see from where he was that it had definately crossed the line. Aside from that, christ, we made that so much harder for ourselves, absolute howler from Maynard Brewer for the 1st goal, i think he mustve been bored shitless and just thought "I'll liven this right up". Bonne,despite myself,actually played well today and i dont think he was offside once. That was special work from Payne,ran around like a man possessed,booting anything that moved,well,anything except a football and it was no surprise he saw red. Ref was the best we've seen this season imo. Lastly, a deserved 3 points and still sitting here wondering how the hell Burton managed to score twice.
    The lino did give it. I looked at him immediately 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Did he? Ok,mustve missed it.👍
  • Options
    Was a bit of a scrappy game. Payne sending off seemed a little harsh but certainly not the way to impress. 
  • Options
    Looking forward to the Ipswich game, there are alot of players looking for contracts or moves so I'm expecting us to put up a good show
  • Options
    I thought that was Bone best game for this season. He played the one man target upfront well today and his goal well deserved. Hector is growing on me. Saki was just superb today. Hope AMB has got that out of his blood. Thought both Egbo and Kane should be given some leeway as must be very rusty at first team level. Payne just seems to light weight for our game, hope that is the last we see of him this season.
    Campbell, Morgan, and Fraser had solid games. Inniss looks calmer and better when playing along side Hector.
    Henry still has a lot  to learn before he is a regular first team player, Mitchel look calm and showed some skill.
    Thomas was a bit too hit and miss for my liking in today.
    But good that all showed fight today.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Leuth said:
    In that case he must have guessed because he had started to move up the line immediately after the corner was taken, it was just a guess as it always is in that scenario, accuracy just goes out of the window...
  • Options
    Did some in the North stand boo Payne off after his red card, sounded like it, not sure how he comes back from that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    We should have won that at a canter, against a poor Burton team seemingly not that bothered. 

AMB let them back in the game at 2-0 dropping a cross he should have punched.

Then we're comfortable at 3-1 and Holden subs off Dobson & Fraser for Payne & Henry.

Effectively men for boys (stature wise).
    Guess what - we fell apart & was hanging on for 15 mins.

I can only presume Holden wanted to give them 30 mins to see how they performed and no doubt they confirmed to all & sundry they are nowhere near good enough for a team with promotion ambitions.
    I've seen all of Henry's first team games & he's not played well once, apart from a goal v QPR.

Payne is like an U15 trying to play in mens football. 

NB Rak - Sayki scored 2 very good goals & we saw how much we rely on Dobbo when he was subbed. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Perfectly decent end of season nothing game. At least it was watchable...could have been much worse.

Quite a few good performances; Hector, Fraser & Rak Sak being the standouts but Bonne, Thomas, Dobson and Egbo also did well. 

That back 4 would do for me next season as a basis. There was no drama today until we lost our ball winner (Dobson) and brought on lightweight replacements. 
  • Options
    Some bloke near us clapped him - hope it was meant sarcastically 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Thought Innis was awful. Thought our wingers did very well as did Albie.

my major gripe was what was payne doing with that second tackle? he knew he was on a yellow then he does that shit. no excuse. 
    This is bait, right? I um I uh I guess I've taken it already. Damn
    watch their second goal back then work out if its bait...
    When the solid Egbo was substituted for the diminutive Kane we were vulnerable. Sure enough, the first corner they get they hammer it beyond the far post where tiny Kane was up against two (comparative) giants. Very poor organisation not to stick someone bigger there (Mitchell?). 
  • Options
    The game was won 2-0 coasting should really been three Saki missing a simple header then the mistake from AMB changed the whole atmosphere… Boone scored excellent goal and capped an excellent performance from him .. to be fair we looked comfortable then the subs ..we lost height and Burton added more height especially the big number 18 .. saying that Burton only caused us problems from long throws and the odd corner they created nothing from open play …

Hector outstanding again .. Inniss and Thomas again very good up front Bonne’s best performance by a long way in a Charlton shirt .

Good Win with Ipswich and MK Dons away coming up it was important we did 

• Options
    Innis and Hector both looked good but that said Burton looked dangerous at every set piece and could have got another 1-2 in the first half alone.  I have no idea how, with the height in our team, our defence from set plays seems so poor.
  • Options
    Watched on TV. We really need to sign Hector, the geezer is class and has brought some confidence to the defence. Those who say Innis was poor, must've been watching a different game to me.
    How I wish we could sign JRS on a perm for next season! Fraser is one of our best midfielders and we need to build around him and Dobbo.
    Bad mistake by AMB but he has saved us on many occasions, and we all make mistakes.
    Before Holden we would have lost that game, but he has added spirit to the club, long may he reign....with support from the owners!
    Agree with most of this, but build a team around Fraser and you don't get promoted. Midfield is weak and Dobbo is my only starter out of the current crop. Fraser is ok, but inconsistent, and easily bullied. Upgrade him and Morgan and you have a top six midfield.