Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life is too miserable

Comments

• Options
    It’s the worst footballing period in our history by miles 
    next season will be 10th in 15 in the third tier 
    in the previous 74 years we had 4 in the third tier 

our nearest rivals are palace who will be in their 11th top flight season on the spin their best ever run of top flight football

and the scum are knocking on the play off door to the top flight and will be in their 12th season in 14 in the second tier of English football , their best ever run of second tier 

yep how can anyone be negative our u12s just won 33-0 the women won 17-0 and my local park team who wear red won 14-0 

To me it’s how our first team do that matters most , everything else is fluff …

and of course family friends and real life mean more than any of this shit 

but if we’re ever going to be negative , I genuinely believe this is the time , we’re a joke 
    Never a truer word said in jest.
  • Options
    Jeez..
    Peas..

(assume this is a rhyming word game?)
    (actually is Jeez even a word? If not its a shit game from the start.)
  • Options
    Guys 
    There is far too much negativity on this forum. Yep granted we’ve had a poor season and we don’t like being in the 3rd division. 
    The takeover thread in particular is like reading one long suicide note No one likes Spiegel, no one likes Sandgaard, no one likes Methven, No one likes their plans , no one liked Southall ( understandably) no one liked Duchatelet, no one liked the Spivs, no one ended up liking Richard Murray ……………the list is endless. 
    But, we have a proper football team to support. It was great fun today, it was great fun against Shrewsbury, it was the greatest fun at Old Trafford 
    Moan, moan , moan about not renewing season tickets - for heavens sake whoever owns the club and pays the bills needs every bit of financial support they can get from us. I’m sure quite a few of the people on here who moan about season ticket prices etc have probably never had one. 
    All of the junior teams from the U12’s upwards have loads of excellent players, particularly at U16 and U18 level. The U18’s recently beat Liverpool U18’s 8-0. We had Campbell, AshleyMB, Morgan, Mitchell, Leaburn on the pitch today with Kanu on the bench with Ness injured, Barker, Chin and Elewere are all playing well in the Conference and there are loads more coming through.
    We can be very optimistIc about the talent coming through 
    Ultimately, I know its very important to all of us … but its not life or death its just football and we can all be glad and happy that we have Charlton Athletic
    Next year I will be renewing for my 40th year and I bloody hope I get a few more yet. . 
    Cheer Up and have a lovely summer !!! 
    One sure fire antidote would be to spend some time on the House of Commoners section.

A few weeks embroiled in some of those discussions will almost certainly ensure the main section will feel a Waltonesque skip through a warm and fuzzy springlike day in comparison 

I had no idea I was masochistic until got involved in the Brexit thread   

• Options
    2 good seasons in 15 years has taken its toll - once millwall have blown their promotion chances and once i've had a good break from going to the valley and watching meaningless matches, i may start to get some enthusiasm back - i will renew my season ticket but right now i'm just glad the season has finished (albeit an away game left that might as well not be as far as i'm concerned) - the takeover thread and the transfer thread will now become the go to's on here but both will be visited much less by me than in years gone by as its all become so repetitive and predictable. Here's hoping something good happens that we can get excited about. 
  • Options
    I’m really looking forward to next weekend, going racing for the first time at Cheltenham, no I’m not a horse, then watching the football, better sign off with a win (the players that is or I will be fuming.

Concerns me that I’m more interested in the racing than the football, but it is what it is I guess.

The takeover thread is a bit of a nightmare as it’s a bit of up, and a lot of down, probably not good for the head to read.

We all just want positive change, players that are good enough to wear the shirt, and care about wearing the shirt, and will put a shift in.

I’m just fed up with fans and their support being taken for granted, which is a sure fire way to lose even more fans.

• Options
    Foxycafc said:
    This forum really needs to lighten up, it all gets far too depressing. I know it’s a bit different because I’m younger, but when I go to a game, it’s the best thing that’s happened to me all year (my last three games were draws or losses iirc)

The last two games I’ve been two have been surprises from my older brother, which definitely helps. The best one was when I was tricked into thinking my mum was gonna pick me up for an orthodontists appointment, and it turned out my brother had driven from Nottingham to Bath, just to pick me up and drive to the Valley! 

As soon as I get in the car I think ‘fucking hell! I’m seeing Charlton!’

I get on the train and I’m thinking ‘fucking hell! I’m gonna see the players I love, playing the game I love!’

My last game was Bristol Rovers, sure the performance was poor, but fuck me, I watched Charlton play! I got to tell Marquis just how shit he is, and how I saw him cry on TV (right before the penalty)

We got home and collapsed on the stairs from the heat exhaustion, but we were still happy

This is why it confuses me to see people get on CL and moan about how shit football is and how they’re gonna give it all up because we lost 2 games in a row. At least you saw the game!

I know this post won’t go down well but CL needs to realise that us complaining on an obscure website won’t change the players attitudes. Only support will. If you sit there not chanting, not clapping, not shouting, miserable, then of course we’re going to play like shit
    Surely as players and as a team it's down to them to get the fans on side. Producing dross after dross in a league1 against Morecambe won't cut it.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    STOP BEING SO MISERABLE YOU LOT.

Get drunk. Take drugs. Or both.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    There’s a reason why I stayed off here for 7 month, it’s bad for the soul, take a break, it’ll do you good 
    Actually I was Ok until you decided to come back ;)
  • Options
    Are we miserable?
    Of course we're miserable.
    That's what being a Charlton/football supporter is all about.
    Think about this my fellow posters.
    My old long since departed neighbour once said.
    "Being a football supporter is tantamount to masochisms".  
    He said "I've supported Millwall for over sixty years and for fifty nine and three quarters of those years its been pure misery".
    He went on to say.
    "I can't remember the couple of months when it was really good".
    Of course the old Millwall supporting bloke died to soon as he would be enjoying their current form.
    Here in Norfolk the Norwich city supporters this morning are calling for the heads of Delia Smith the board and their recently appointed manager after losing out on the playoffs.
    Our Rochdale friends will be feeling really pissed off today as many of those clubs who are or will be relegated or miss out on promotion.
    As a Charlton supporter since the mid. 1960's I have only experienced mediocrity like my old neighbour for most of that time.
    So my fellow Charlton masochist, be prepared for more disappointment but live in hope that we will be blessed next season like the very few that will enjoy success.
    That's what supporting Charlton is all about.   

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    My bum hole is itchy
    Isn't that first sign of Leprosy? Best check you still have all your appendages!
  • Options
    Not pessimistic,  just realistic given the state we are in at the moment.

Someone said above be cheerful about our young prospects.  Thats hard when it's obvious to a blind man that Leaburn, Mitchell, Ness will all be sold within the next 18 months.

• Options
    Started going in 1961 so have served my time through everything the club has thrown at me. Notable highlights over the years sprinkled throughout mostly pretty mediocre stuff. Obviously the Curbs years were the highlights but not only because of our Premier League status. Those years and those leading up to it seemed to me to be when the club had its biggest effect on me. I felt we were building something. All pulling together and you could just smell that Charlton was a bit special. Quite how we’ve gotten so so far from any of that is a tragedy. Not sure the club can ever get that back and sadly I know I’ll never have that attachment again. Not being over dramatic I hope but it really does feel like I’m mourning a dear friend. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    no news is good news
  • Options
    Thinking of putting the house on the market, just found out my next door neighbour is a Millwall fan.
  • Options
    Foxycafc said:
    This forum really needs to lighten up, it all gets far too depressing. I know it’s a bit different because I’m younger, but when I go to a game, it’s the best thing that’s happened to me all year (my last three games were draws or losses iirc)

The last two games I’ve been two have been surprises from my older brother, which definitely helps. The best one was when I was tricked into thinking my mum was gonna pick me up for an orthodontists appointment, and it turned out my brother had driven from Nottingham to Bath, just to pick me up and drive to the Valley! 

As soon as I get in the car I think ‘fucking hell! I’m seeing Charlton!’

I get on the train and I’m thinking ‘fucking hell! I’m gonna see the players I love, playing the game I love!’

My last game was Bristol Rovers, sure the performance was poor, but fuck me, I watched Charlton play! I got to tell Marquis just how shit he is, and how I saw him cry on TV (right before the penalty)

We got home and collapsed on the stairs from the heat exhaustion, but we were still happy

This is why it confuses me to see people get on CL and moan about how shit football is and how they’re gonna give it all up because we lost 2 games in a row. At least you saw the game!

I know this post won’t go down well but CL needs to realise that us complaining on an obscure website won’t change the players attitudes. Only support will. If you sit there not chanting, not clapping, not shouting, miserable, then of course we’re going to play like shit
    Your youthful optimism is a tonic Foxy, don't give it up.

I see the same in my children and try to learn from them.

I used to teach university undergraduates and it was similar: optimism and hope.

The young normally learn from the old, but the old should also learn from the young.
  • Options
    @Leroy Ambrose good to see your name on here, hope you are well mate 
    Yes thanks mate - all good in The Frozen North  :smile:
  • Options
    I remember this forum after the 47 FA cup final.

Negative as fuck.
    Should have seen it after we threw away the 46 final.
  • Options
    A Psychiatrist once said to me, “Let’s face it Martin, you’re just a miserable guy!”

So, CL is perfect for me.
    No, I'm not having that. The last word I'd use to describe you is miserable, the first being very 😉