Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Options
    James Wilson has announced he’s leaving Port Vale , a little bit injury prone but decent when on it 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    JBG on a free will always astound me. How on earth did we manage that one! 
    we offered him about 25k a week

Oh wow that explains it! Still worth it for what he produced. 
  • Options
    He might be visting a friend over this way?
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Just been sat in front of Steve Gallen on a 161 and he got off at Eltham. I was too shy to say anything but he definitely gave me the vibe that he’s about to sign Alfie May. 
    Steve lives in west London apparently, no way he’d be on a 161.
    Can categorically say that he was. There was also Southeastern strikes so would make sense to get to New Eltham via North Greenwich.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Redhenry said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Oh wow that explains it! Still worth it for what he produced. 
    Plus we got most if not all of that outlay back when we signed him.

Rare success that one.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Just been sat in front of Steve Gallen on a 161 and he got off at Eltham. I was too shy to say anything but he definitely gave me the vibe that he’s about to sign Alfie May. 
    Steve lives in west London apparently, no way he’d be on a 161.
    Just a wild thought, maybe he was traveling from Charlton to Eltham.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    There is no chance we paid JBG 25k a week, considering he was on 30k a week in the prem and we never have that kind of money to spend, more like 25k a month would be closer 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Portsmouth News report linking us to Jay Mingi 
    Left us under a bit of a cloud.  I'd be surprused
    The cloud is still over us, so…
    That particular cloud is not. Allegations of racism from his agent over him not getting his chance as I recall it.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    There is no chance we paid JBG 25k a week, considering he was on 30k a week in the prem and we never have that kind of money to spend, more like 25k a month would be closer 
    I've no idea what he was on, but to be fair that was when we were still spending a bit - transfer fees on the likes of Vetokele, people like Ben Haim on a decent wage I'd presume, however much it was wasted on Polish Pete.

Given JBG was free, it's not out of the question we gave him a decent wedge/signing on fee but spread across the contract.
  • Options
    Vetokele was on the top wages followed by Nabby Sarr in the Roland Duchatelet era according to an independent source in the first season when RD took over.
    JBG had a decent size second contract but 13 to 15K apparently. I will stand corrected but the 25k or over wages were mainly Darren Bent and from memory Scott Parker was offered an increase to that type of figure plus a big loyalty bonus but his head had been turned 🤦🏻‍♂️ and toys were thrown.

Not sure what Murphy and the fox in the box were on but I think our wages peeked at the mid 30k a week before we dropped out the premier and the wages dropped big time as well.

It's harder now to put together a squad for top 6 club in League 1 because  some players would rather play lower down the pyramid for bigger wages. Or unfortunately not be interested in a middling London club that are going into their 4th season as an established League 1 Team with a iffy infrastructure and a damaged critic/fan base.

Hopefully a new owner with some ambition will infuse us all because we have stagnated over the last few seasons.

• Options
    Think his name has been mentioned but Owen Moxon has 16 assists for Carlisle in league 2 this season. Watching their semi-final now and his set piece delivery is brilliant, something we’ve lacked for a couple of seasons now 
  • Options
    JBG came in on a 2 year deal and then signed a new 4 year contract after his first year, so it's possible he started on say £15k a week and was on quite a bit more by the time he left.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Redhenry said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Roland paid a player £25k a week but stuck his own shoes together with duct tape….
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Brownie12 said:
    Redhenry said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Roland paid a player £25k a week but stuck his own shoes together with duct tape….

As well as asking what was the cheapest ticket to get him to Charlton Station from central London ?

Katrien Meire may have been lying but that's what she said 🤔
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Think his name has been mentioned but Owen Moxon has 16 assists for Carlisle in league 2 this season. Watching their semi-final now and his set piece delivery is brilliant, something we’ve lacked for a couple of seasons now 
    Yes please. Excellent set pieces as you say and not afraid to put tackles in. Pair him with Dobson in the middle and we wouldn’t lose too many midfield battles.
  • Options
    Did Scott Banks do anything for Bradford in that game given he was mentioned further up the thread? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Yes please. Excellent set pieces as you say and not afraid to put tackles in. Pair him with Dobson in the middle and we wouldn’t lose too many midfield battles.
    I've had a look at Cambridge's highlights recently to see McGrandles' assists and they were almost all corners and free kicks. Moxon would be good but if not we do have a good set piece taker in the squad, assuming he stays.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Did Scott Banks do anything for Bradford in that game given he was mentioned further up the thread? 
    got the assist for the goal 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Was motm. Not sure if we should go for him as we already have CBT and TC that both favour the left (and dare I say it Kirk also). Need to sign someone to replace JRS on the right 
  • Options
    Another youngster with the Palace link was at Queen’s Park this season. They want him back as he got rave reviews there.  Slightly more defensive so maybe not as high on the hotlist

Malachi Boateng is his name
  • Options
    I still think Ebiowei is the one we should be nagging Palace about. Might be tough as not sure if he will drop to L1, and if he does then he might prefer to go back to Derby but hopefully our work with JRS puts us in pole position 
  • Options
    I’ve heard Josh Parker’s on his way back.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Another youngster with the Palace link was at Queen’s Park this season. They want him back as he got rave reviews there.  Slightly more defensive so maybe not as high on the hotlist

Malachi Boateng is his name
    I've seen him a few times this season, hasn't impressed me
  • Options
    I know we’re just banging on about Palace youngsters but Killian Phillips has done well at Shrewsbury. I’ve seen a few champ clubs linked though 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:
    Very decent player. 25 and a Decent size too and originally picked up for peanuts from Scotland - Annan Athletic iirc
    either him or Elliot Watt at Salford would improve our passing and ball retention.  Watt came through at Wolves but made his name at Bradford last season before heading to Salford a year ago.  Loads of assists and top of the L2 passing stats for numbers and accuracy

Both have the potential to significantly increase in value and should be worth a look - one is likely to be in our division after the playoffs 
    Mentioned Elliot Watt a little while back as someone we should target and has room for potential to go up and play Championship football. He’s a deep lying playmaker with one of, if not the most, forward passes in League Two. It’s how he has so many assists. Not the sideways stuff that we’ve become accustomed to.