Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Smithy said:
    Just been sat in front of Steve Gallen on a 161 and he got off at Eltham. I was too shy to say anything but he definitely gave me the vibe that he’s about to sign Alfie May. 
    Steve lives in west London apparently, no way he’d be on a 161.
    Just a wild thought, maybe he was traveling from Charlton to Eltham.
    More likely Elizabeth line to Woolwich and 161 to Eltham and another bus to Sparrows Lane.
  • Options
    This really is a long shot.
    Had a freebie to Carrow road on Sunday 7th. to see Norwich struggle against Blackpool.
    It was Pukki's last game for Norwich.
    No we won't be signing Pukki but possibly his replacement Adam Idah.
    The big striker 22 year old has really struggled to establish himself in the side.
    Norwich fans are a bit surprised the club have recently given him a five year contract possibly see him as one for the future.
    He's big and quite skillful but has struggled to score.
    Probably needs a loan spell in a lower league to gain a bit of playing time and confidence.
    I think we tried to sign him on loan a couple of seasons ago. 

• Options
    Had a freebie to Carrow road on Sunday 7th. to see Norwich struggle against Blackpool.
    The big striker 22 year old has really struggled to establish himself in the side.
    Norwich fans are a bit surprised the club have recently given him a five year contract possibly see him as one for the future.
    Probably needs a loan spell in a lower league to gain a bit of playing time and confidence.

A striker who doesn't score goals sounds just what we need.

He's got a very poor record but a lot of his appearances have been as a sub so he might do better if he's given a consistent run of games somewhere.
  • Options
    Idahs name was definitely mentioned a couple of years back when he first broke on the scene at Norwich. Hasn't played regularly since then but think unless they're going to spend big on replacing Pukki he'll stay put. 
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Smithy said:
    Just been sat in front of Steve Gallen on a 161 and he got off at Eltham. I was too shy to say anything but he definitely gave me the vibe that he’s about to sign Alfie May. 
    Can categorically say that he was. There was also Southeastern strikes so would make sense to get to New Eltham via North Greenwich.
    bus wanker
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Smithy said:
    Just a wild thought, maybe he was traveling from Charlton to Eltham.
    More likely Elizabeth line to Woolwich and 161 to Eltham and another bus to Sparrows Lane.
    Regularly gets the bus. Saw him leave the training ground couple weeks ago and get a bus from directly outside Footscray Rugby Club. 
  • Options
    We're not scouting rugby players now are we?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:
    Think his name has been mentioned but Owen Moxon has 16 assists for Carlisle in league 2 this season. Watching their semi-final now and his set piece delivery is brilliant, something we’ve lacked for a couple of seasons now 
    Very decent player. 25 and a Decent size too and originally picked up for peanuts from Scotland - Annan Athletic iirc
    either him or Elliot Watt at Salford would improve our passing and ball retention.  Watt came through at Wolves but made his name at Bradford last season before heading to Salford a year ago.  Loads of assists and top of the L2 passing stats for numbers and accuracy

Both have the potential to significantly increase in value and should be worth a look - one is likely to be in our division after the playoffs 
    Mentioned Elliot Watt a little while back as someone we should target and has room for potential to go up and play Championship football. He’s a deep lying playmaker with one of, if not the most, forward passes in League Two. It’s how he has so many assists. Not the sideways stuff that we’ve become accustomed to.
    Sounds like a white Pele.

Hopefully we sign him & come up with a suitable song to welcome him to the club.
  • Options
    Talking of Watt and Moxon…

• Options
    Sage said:
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:
    Think his name has been mentioned but Owen Moxon has 16 assists for Carlisle in league 2 this season. Watching their semi-final now and his set piece delivery is brilliant, something we’ve lacked for a couple of seasons now 
    Very decent player. 25 and a Decent size too and originally picked up for peanuts from Scotland - Annan Athletic iirc
    either him or Elliot Watt at Salford would improve our passing and ball retention.  Watt came through at Wolves but made his name at Bradford last season before heading to Salford a year ago.  Loads of assists and top of the L2 passing stats for numbers and accuracy

Both have the potential to significantly increase in value and should be worth a look - one is likely to be in our division after the playoffs 
    Mentioned Elliot Watt a little while back as someone we should target and has room for potential to go up and play Championship football. He’s a deep lying playmaker with one of, if not the most, forward passes in League Two. It’s how he has so many assists. Not the sideways stuff that we’ve become accustomed to.
    Sounds like a white Pele.

Hopefully we sign him & come up with a suitable song to welcome him to the club.
    Probably the lowest ebb of my respect for my fellow fans was making that chant 'work' for Macauley Bonne. And then bringing it back during his final spell here too! Red card to literally the entire Covered End
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Idahs name was definitely mentioned a couple of years back when he first broke on the scene at Norwich. Hasn't played regularly since then but think unless they're going to spend big on replacing Pukki he'll stay put. 
    Pretty sure it was January of the 19/20 season which we were close to getting him
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    On the subject of where players spring from, I just watched the Coventry v Middlesbrough match. From their top 6 teams, Middlesbrough had a striker from Tooting & Mitcham and Coventry a defender who was relegated with scunthorpe last season. 

There are gems out there, but as we've found out, the bargain bins are full of more crap than quality. 
    I remember when we signed Herman Hreidesson and Matty Holland from Ipswich,  from the division below who'd been relegated the season before.

We got good value from those two! 

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Sage said:
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:

My biggest frustration is I emailed his details to the club last June.  His value has only gone up since then.
    Did you get a response?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:
    Sage said:
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:

My biggest frustration is I emailed his details to the club last June.  His value has only gone up since then.
    Did you get a response?
    Nope
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Sage said:
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:

I do miss the letters page in Voice of the Valley with a young man’s transfer suggestions
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    We're not scouting rugby players now are we?
    No, bus drivers. We need someone to drive the Youth team bus.

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Sage said:
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:

Oh, Swizz .... if only you were Head of Recruitment  :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Swisdom said:
    Sage said:
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:

Oh, Swizz .... if only you were Head of Recruitment  :smile:

No thanks.  Poisoned chalice.

Maybe we'll now start to see progress if we actually part with some money and pay proper fucking wages now
  • Options
    Things like assists, completed passes etc etc should be exactly the stats being picked up by the black box gizmo. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Sage said:
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:

Probably didn't fit Golden Boy's algorithm....
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:
    Sage said:
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:

Probably didn't fit Golden Boy's algorithm....
    Twat
  • Options

A striker who doesn't score goals sounds just what we need.

He's got a very poor record but a lot of his appearances have been as a sub so he might do better if he's given a consistent run of games somewhere.
    Totally agree Chris.
    I think the pressure will be on Norwich to spend to sign a proven goal scorer which is why I think they will loan him out.
    The other consideration is he is very similar to Miles Leaburn and it depends in what market and type of player we are looking to sign.
    Me-I would prefer a May or Stockton type of footballer who have been proven at our level. 

• Options
    Things like assists, completed passes etc etc should be exactly the stats being picked up by the black box gizmo. 
    We pick them up, but can't (or wont) interpret them.  That's the problem.

Some of our players got assists for passing the ball 10 yards to JRS who then beat 3 men and scored from 15 yards.  Some of our other players beat 3 men and crossed the ball to find Stockley still on the half way line or Bonne missing the ball.

Yes use data to narrow down the field but you need to identify what you want each player, in each position, to do then find someone capable of doing it.  You can't do that on data alone.   It's a tool, not the solution.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:

Some of our players got assists for passing the ball 10 yards to JRS who then beat 3 men and scored from 15 yards.  Some of our other players beat 3 men and crossed the ball to find Stockley still on the half way line or Bonne missing the ball.

Yes use data to narrow down the field but you need to identify what you want each player, in each position, to do then find someone capable of doing it.  You can't do that on data alone.   It's a tool, not the solution.

Assists is quite a simplistic stat and I would hope our analysis department uses more advanced data such as ExpectedAssists or ExpectedThreat that are more of an indicator of a players creative quality

You can do what you say there on data alone, but then you also need the eye test and character test to form the final opinion on whether to sign a player. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:

Probably helps if the team has decent strikers running onto his through balls.

Imagine him here this season passing them through for Stockley (no pace) and Bonne (always offside).
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Assists is quite a simplistic stat and I would hope our analysis department uses more advanced data such as ExpectedAssists or ExpectedThreat that are more of an indicator of a players creative quality

You can do what you say there on data alone, but then you also need the eye test and character test to form the final opinion on whether to sign a player. 
    A lot of modern scouting is purely on stats, Xg, Xa, Xs - but you still need to see a player in the flesh.  See their impact on the game.  Listen to their contributions.

I always remember a stat about a player who had more flat-out sprints than anyone else on the pitch.  Must be a hard worker you'd think.  It turned out he used to sprint to take the corners but was actually a lazy bugger.  Obviously that's an outlier but as with anything stats can often hide the real truth.  
    100% I agree. But it’s a lot easier to cover more players if you are filtering them using stats and then watching games/clips of them, which is where a lot of the work will be done. And I was more making the point that it’s a lot more advanced than the stats that are readily available to the public. 

Holden does sound like he has a good balance between old school and new school though which is why I’m looking forward to seeing how he recruits if he gets better backing and a better recruitment team behind him