Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Options
    Gallen debate/questions going around in circles. SG is still working for the club and still was obo TS over the winter period, regardless of what CM group were doing. SG does scout, still does, has been out watching games in H2 of the season at 3pm, but his role has changed from what it was pre-black box analytically driven recruitment targeting. His primary focus is more on seal the deal than source the player. Don’t be fooled in thinking all of his works rests on who signs, offers and negotiations for players who fall through are rarely disclosed. Or in other words, when the peaks of activity arrive, I get the impression that it is super intense, more steady outside those periods. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Redrobo said:
    Modern sport is very stats based, and analysts seem to be used everywhere. 

So much of this data is publicly available that there ought to be a fairly level playing field between comparable clubs, as all should be looking similar numbers surely? 

The TV pundits have access to a lot of this data, so they can say that Player X makes the highest number of threatening passes or makes the most overlaps.
    That’s where the likes of Brighton and Brentford have got their edge over the years.

Yes all the data is publicly available (for a fee) but the clubs who pour serious resources into coming up with new in-house ways of combining the runs, the passses, the tackles & shots etc. can create more informative stats that no-one else has access to.

By going deeper to the second, third and fourth level of the data, they’re uncovering trends that the publicly available data won’t tell you.
    The interesting thing though is that these things are never continually successful and there's always an element of luck. Rasmus Ankersen, the same man who did so much great recruitment at Brentford went to Southampton and is being primarily blamed for taking them down. Too many young players with the wrong attitudes brought in and too much focus in January on potential rather than present-day returns. He used the same systems but this time it fell flat. Much like how Les Reed was a genius at Saints until it fell apart and Walsh was a god at Leicester but is seen as part of the group that started Everton's decline into what they are now. Constant reinvention and a huge amount of fortune are needed no matter how good your data and scouting set up is
    And indeed Gallen after bringing in Cullen, Bielik and Gallagher on loan...
    …and then backing that up with Rak-Sakyi 
    Well documented it was Ben Garner that wanted JRS. Tried getting him at Swindon 
    I know. But he was due to go to Oxford and “we” persuaded him and Palace that he should come to Charlton.
    I think it is unfair to blame all the shit on SG and credit others with the successful signings. SG is said to be the negotiator not the scout. 
    I would suggest that this makes him the person who got him over the line for us and is an example of how good he is at his job.
    I would be looking at who took over the decision making when they first changed his role. 
    If that's all true why did Gallen personally say he had watched Clare play and had personally seen Lavelle multiple times?

I find that and the fact "Steve and Martin are always out scouting", despite being at almost all our games very hard to believe.

As I said before it probably isn't Gallen's fault but the mixed messages that come out the club do no one, especially Gallen, any favours.
    Is Gallen at almost all our games? I don’t know, but I am sure I have read noise on here in the last few months around whether he even still works for the club as he had not been seen in ages. 
    They wasn't scouts.. Would have a network (or in Charlton case one or two) that would report back into them. Also totally different these days, with every game being broadcasted, they don't have to go to games.
    Watching games on TV has no comparison to actually seeing a player live. No proper scout would do that. 
    A proper scout would do both. If you only watch games live you will probably see 5% (at a guess) of the players other teams are seeing. Nowadays you can watch every game a player has played all season from your laptop at home
    Correct, then the manager would watch a game for one final look!
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Redrobo said:

So much of this data is publicly available that there ought to be a fairly level playing field between comparable clubs, as all should be looking similar numbers surely? 

The TV pundits have access to a lot of this data, so they can say that Player X makes the highest number of threatening passes or makes the most overlaps.
    That’s where the likes of Brighton and Brentford have got their edge over the years.

Yes all the data is publicly available (for a fee) but the clubs who pour serious resources into coming up with new in-house ways of combining the runs, the passses, the tackles & shots etc. can create more informative stats that no-one else has access to.

By going deeper to the second, third and fourth level of the data, they’re uncovering trends that the publicly available data won’t tell you.
    The interesting thing though is that these things are never continually successful and there's always an element of luck. Rasmus Ankersen, the same man who did so much great recruitment at Brentford went to Southampton and is being primarily blamed for taking them down. Too many young players with the wrong attitudes brought in and too much focus in January on potential rather than present-day returns. He used the same systems but this time it fell flat. Much like how Les Reed was a genius at Saints until it fell apart and Walsh was a god at Leicester but is seen as part of the group that started Everton's decline into what they are now. Constant reinvention and a huge amount of fortune are needed no matter how good your data and scouting set up is
    I know. But he was due to go to Oxford and “we” persuaded him and Palace that he should come to Charlton.
    I think it is unfair to blame all the shit on SG and credit others with the successful signings. SG is said to be the negotiator not the scout. 
    I would suggest that this makes him the person who got him over the line for us and is an example of how good he is at his job.
    I would be looking at who took over the decision making when they first changed his role. 
    If that's all true why did Gallen personally say he had watched Clare play and had personally seen Lavelle multiple times?

I find that and the fact "Steve and Martin are always out scouting", despite being at almost all our games very hard to believe.

As I said before it probably isn't Gallen's fault but the mixed messages that come out the club do no one, especially Gallen, any favours.
    Is Gallen at almost all our games? I don’t know, but I am sure I have read noise on here in the last few months around whether he even still works for the club as he had not been seen in ages. 
    They wasn't scouts.. Would have a network (or in Charlton case one or two) that would report back into them. Also totally different these days, with every game being broadcasted, they don't have to go to games.
    Watching games on TV has no comparison to actually seeing a player live. No proper scout would do that. 
    A proper scout would do both. If you only watch games live you will probably see 5% (at a guess) of the players other teams are seeing. Nowadays you can watch every game a player has played all season from your laptop at home
    Still, a proper scout would never do this. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Whilst we are actually discussing recruitment, I have been, for a while, making a list of young players we should be keeping close tabs on. As you’ll see I tend to look for attacking players as they’re the more exciting ones, naturally… but of course we have to be careful not to stunt the development of our own players.

Leeds United U21:

Sonny Perkins - 19 years old - (forward) - Londoner who Leeds took from West Ham as part of their development squad. And they’ve got a great group of youngsters. A player who could be called upon if Leeds are to go down, but could also be a great signing for anyone at our level.

Mateo Joseph - 19 years old (forward) - Spanish born yet England U20 international joined Leeds from Espanyol just over a year or so ago. His record for U21 at Leeds is very good, a talented player who can operate as a 10. 

Manchester City U21:

Adedire Mebude - 18 years old (forward) - Scottish U21 international who was born in London but is from Nigerian descent. Man City signed him from Rangers and he has scored and assisted for fun in the U21 PL2 this season. Extremely creative and is an out and out right winger who is right footed too, which makes a change.

Carlos Borges - 19 years old (forward) - a left footed left winger from Portugal. Arguably one of the very best of this list. For a winger his record at youth level is phenomenal, he’s also scored a hat-trick against Derby in the EFL Trophy in the season just finishing. He’s absolutely rapid and quite likely out of our reach.

Oscar Bobb - 19 years old - (midfielder) - another one from the Man City production line and one hell of a talent. Winning Man City’s Elite Development Squad player of the season, Bobb is a Norwegian U21 international attacking midfielder who can really pick a pass. Was expected to go out on loan in January but as Man City often do, wanted him to finish the campaign with their development team. Would be a real coup if we got him, that’s even if we are interested.

Chelsea U21:

Harvey Vale - 19 years old - (midfielder) - next big thing a couple years ago but not kicked on like Gallagher did. Yet to go on loan though but part of England U20 set up. Technically gifted and would be a Morgan replacement.

West Ham United U21:

Divin Mubama - 18 years old - forward) - won FA Youth Cup, been part of the Europa Conference League squad at times, scored loads for U18 and U21. Left footed striker who runs in behind and offers something else. He also knows where the goal is which is always handy.

West Bromwich Albion U21:

Reyes Cleary - 19 years old - (forward) - left winger mainly yet can play in a number of positions and scored loads for the U21. An England youth international who played a couple of games in Championship last season but needs a full year playing. League One for a season could be what he needs.

Norwich City U21:

Abu Kamara - 19 years old - (forward) - Southeast London born left footed forward who started as a full back/winger and can play right across the front line. Out of contract in the summer and has scored goals at both U18 and U21 for a couple of years. At 19 he either needs to move on elsewhere for men’s football or sign a contract at Norwich and hope to break through.

Carlos Borges is an unreal talent, no chance City loan him to league one. I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature in their last 2 league games if City wrap the title up this weekend.

Of course senior football is a big step up, but 29 goals and 18 assists in 33 games this season is a crazy record for a winger. 
  • Options
    I’ve been a sceptic on SG for a while but given the ridiculous state of the club for some years now, I’m very happy to give him a very large benefit of the doubt. There is one nagging thought though. Macauley Bonne. We seemed to pursue him for a long time when all the indications and stats pointed towards him being exactly what we got. That’s got to be a red flag for me. Gallen should have been steering us well clear even if marvellous Martin liked him. Even then, quite how a stats analysis highlighted Bonne as a good option is scary. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Redrobo said:

Why not? As we know too well, players are inconsistent, especially at this level. You’d obviously get a better view of a player watching online all 40 games they’ve played this season than getting to watch 5 games in person. Ideally you get to do both, but the first is a lot easier logistically. Especially at the moment when there are no games on and we need to be doing a lot of recruitment work 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Redrobo said:

He was when that was said.  Seems to have not been since the take over fiasco picked up.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Redrobo said:

Why not? As we know too well, players are inconsistent, especially at this level. You’d obviously get a better view of a player watching online all 40 games they’ve played this season than getting to watch 5 games in person. Ideally you get to do both, but the first is a lot easier logistically. Especially at the moment when there are no games on and we need to be doing a lot of recruitment work 
    Because when you watch a game on TV you see a portion of the pitch and players at any one time. Seeing a player in person allows you to watch them individually for a full 90 minutes and see a number of qualities that you can't pick up by watching them on TV. 
    True but doing both would tell you more than only watching games in person.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Redrobo said:

Because when you watch a game on TV you see a portion of the pitch and players at any one time. Seeing a player in person allows you to watch them individually for a full 90 minutes and see a number of qualities that you can't pick up by watching them on TV. 
    Yes but saying a "proper" scout would never do this is just silly. Saying they should not JUST watch footage is fair enough but chances are that you are not going to be able to see every game of every target in person.

Using footage to identify prospects then going in person to get a better idea seems pretty sensible to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Redrobo said:

If your scouting is all done on TV and internet you are never going to get the true picture. Coverage does not show what is going on everywhere on the pitch, just where the ball is. If you are tracking a particular player you get a much better idea being there in person. Perhaps this is where we are going wrong? The little black box method clearly has severe limitations.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Redrobo said:

If your scouting is all done on TV and internet you are never going to get the true picture. Coverage does not show what is going on everywhere on the pitch, just where the ball is. If you are tracking a particular player you get a much better idea being there in person. Perhaps this is where we are going wrong? The little black box method clearly has severe limitations.
    Don’t disagree, but not only Charlton will scout like that. Most clubs do. Ultimately once they like a player they would then go and watch them live. 
  • Options
    Don’t see how it’s complicated. Watch a player you’ve identified as much as possible on tv and if you like what you see then watch him live until you can decide. To be honest I don’t think it really concerns clubs like Charlton that don’t often pay fees. For clubs like us it’s more a case of seeing who is out of contract when the time comes. I’d expect our recruitment team to have files on most professional players.
  • Options
    I’ve been a sceptic on SG for a while but given the ridiculous state of the club for some years now, I’m very happy to give him a very large benefit of the doubt. There is one nagging thought though. Macauley Bonne. We seemed to pursue him for a long time when all the indications and stats pointed towards him being exactly what we got. That’s got to be a red flag for me. Gallen should have been steering us well clear even if marvellous Martin liked him. Even then, quite how a stats analysis highlighted Bonne as a good option is scary. 
    I think it was a punt with fcuk all budget to play with, no more, no less and SG would admit himself that the gamble did not pay off. We shouldn’t forget what the object was in H2, to move away from the relegation zone and stay well away from it. Promotion aspirations in Jan/Feb were only ours, I think the club knew that H1 of the season had royally fcuked our aspirations. 
  • Options
    I think it was a punt with fcuk all budget to play with, no more, no less and SG would admit himself that the gamble did not pay off. We shouldn’t forget what the object was in H2, to move away from the relegation zone and stay well away from it. Promotion aspirations in Jan/Feb were only ours, I think the club knew that H1 of the season had royally fcuked our aspirations. 
    That’s a fair point but does it explain our chasing him during the summer as well ?
  • Options
    There was nothing wrong with signing Bonne on a short term deal. If he hadn't blown it with his social media activity, he would have played until the end of the season and left after doing an ok job.

He was a better short term signing that Josh Parker for example
    If Bonne hadn't fallen foul of the "no dickheads" rule, I suspect he would have been given another year. Was starting to improve and would have been ok as a back up.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Bonne was awful and nothing on the football side suggested to me that he would have been even adequate backup. 

He’ll be in The National League within two years. He might get a gig in league two next season. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Redrobo said:

I imagine there are many issues with our recruitment setup. We seem to look at a fairly limited pool of players for one - signings such as Arter, Souare, Watson, Gunter, Aneke, Bonne, Hector, Kane etc either all well know older players or former players.

Then there are local players like JRS, Maatsen, Gallagher, Cullen etc - great they worked out but I don’t expect us to sign similar quality from clubs in other areas of the country.

Our signings in recent years don’t give the impression we have good coverage of the country.

Beyond that how much are we looking in non-league, Prem u21s, Scotland and Ireland for first team players?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Redrobo said:

I don’t think anyone disagrees. But realistically you aren’t going to be able to watch all your targets multiple times before making a decision on them. So stats/video will be a huge part of the process (as it is for every club), especially now when there are no games on for a month. Analysis/tactical cams will also probably be available for games at better stadiums so you can still see every player on the pitch at all times

Watching a player’s whole season on TV with access to all their stats is a better view of how good they are than watching them play 5 games live. If you watched 5 random games of a lot of our players you could come away thinking wow they are brilliant or wow they are terrible, watching their whole season would then show they are actually just inconsistent.

Ideally you get to do both, but logistically that isn’t always possible to watch multiple games live. Like now, if a player became available to us, there are no games for a month so you’d have to make the call based on stats/video. 

The blackbox/stats way of doing things isn’t the problem, pretty much all successful clubs will be doing similar (Brighton, Brentford, Plymouth just a few examples that have used it to punch above their weight). They just have people that know what they are doing in charge of it, we have the owners son with no football experience 
  • Options
    Bonne was awful and nothing on the football side suggested to me that he would have been even adequate backup. 

He’ll be in The National League within two years. He might get a gig in league two next season. 
    I wonder whether Leyton Orient might take a punt on him with being back in league one now and him doing well there before :smile:
  • Options
    There was nothing wrong with signing Bonne on a short term deal. If he hadn't blown it with his social media activity, he would have played until the end of the season and left after doing an ok job.

'doing an ok job'? I'd debate that personally but even so is that the prerequisite now, 'an ok job'. That's what has got us where we are now.
    2 goals in his last 4 games, so he was just starting to get a bit of confidence.

In the circumstances, an "ok job" was what we needed in January. 
  • Options

'doing an ok job'? I'd debate that personally but even so is that the prerequisite now, 'an ok job'. That's what has got us where we are now.
    2 goals in his last 4 games, so he was just starting to get a bit of confidence.

If 2 goals in 16 games is doing an ok job, then how bad would it have had to get to be classed as a terrible job?

He got more yellow cards than goals.
  • Options
    We have to be looking at West Ham's FA Youth Cup winning side for loans......strolled through it
  • Options

And absolutely nothing in the 12 before that, with both goals being as much luck as judgment. An OK job would indeed have been adequate... but he wasn't doing one.

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Anderson’s niche was finding players who were lower value and making them higher value. Unfortunately, it’s harder when you pay more in the first place to realise higher return on their investment.
    It’s a bit like how Charlton used to be. We could often unearth a diamond in the rough, but if we spent good money on a player that usually turned out to be shit I’m looking at you. Neil redfearn 
    The thing is, he's actually done quite well in discovering a new market within that niche. He started looking at surplus talented youth players at big clubs who would typically buy a new player rather than develop one, promising them first team football and the chance to move on if the right bid came in. They signed four players from City this season, the standouts being Bazunu and particularly Lavia, and before that signed Livramento from Chelsea and loaned Broja. The idea is that they'd buy these players for decent fees before they became worth a much larger sum and accept that their stays would be brief but profitable, and so far they've been quite good at identifying those sorts of players. The problem is he's failed to build adequately around it. They let some of their more experienced players go after they fell out with Hasenhuttl but failed to identify experience in key areas to play alongside the young players and set standards. If you look at that squad the only players with the kind of mentality they need to get out of this mess are Ward-Prowse and Stuart Armstrong, and only one of those is a regular starter. This time round it was a bit too much clever data and not enough recognition that they needed some grown ups in the club to help raise the children.
    They also loaned out Nathan Tella to Burnley, where he scored 17 goals. Would he have been any worse than most of the players they signed?

At least they now have a Championship proven forward...
    One of the big issues for Southampton was scoring goals. It's hard to know how Tella would have done in the Prem, but they missed Broja. They spent money on Adam Armstrong who was a proven Championship striker, but he has struggled at the Premiership level, which shows how hard the step up can be.